Seals for Wagner 85 hydraulic ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blessededward

Hi all I have a 1975 Califorian 38 LRC and i have a leaky hydraulic ram...its a Wagner 85 and they out of business does anybody know where i can find something to fix it...I was told other seals can work on them...thanks so much...

Wagner was bought by another company which may be why you're having trouble finding them.
You probably don't need to order the seals from Wagner anyway. Just take the cylinder to a local hydraulic shop, they'll have seals that fit.

Thank You so much!!

I found Wagner got bought by a company out of Vancouver and they got me to a distributor where I got the parts...thanks again!!! Trawler Forum to the rescue again!!!

Yes, all the parts are made in North Vancouver right next to Osborne Propeller ("We've been screwing boaters since 1918"). Technically you have to buy the parts through a distributer/retailer in Delta, at Shelter Marine next door to Wolfe Marine, but everything comes from North Van. The company makes steering gear for BIG boats too. Notice I have no names? Sorry, senior moment!

I have the same ram in my Californian and I replaced the seals several years back. The seals are a common size and can be sourced at any shop that works on hydraulics. They were very inexpensive as I recall so I purchased a bag full. I wrote the size in my maintenance log and will post as soon as I can.

As a side note, check the color of your fluid. It should be clear, if it's any other color like red it's possible someone added the wrong fluid and that can cause premature failure of the seals.

The datasheet for the Wagner 85 lists AW-32 as an approved fluid. You can source it at O'reilly Auto Parts for $12.99 a gallon. No need to waste your money on the expensive stuff at WestMarine.

Attachments

• wa-dwg-parts-cylinders-old-inch-type-N.pdf
    101.3 KB · Views: 62
  • wa-brochure-filling-N-series-cylinders.pdf
    293.4 KB · Views: 46
Great info, TG! Thanks...I'm saving that for future reference.

You guys are the best thanks!!!

Thanks again to everybody here for helping as usual...you guys are great!!!!

As an update for future reference:

The seals required are Lip Seals 1" diameter by 5/8" center opening with a thickness aproximately 1/4". If I recall correctly you need two for each end. They are held in place by a snap ring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom