Removal of Californian Name Plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Streff

Vessel Make
Californian 45 MY
Hello fellow boaters,

Happy New Year! I am changing various stripes on the boat including the ones under the Californian Name Plate. The name plate is on the sides of the Aft cabin. It seems to be bolted (I could be mistaken on this ) to the underlying fiberglass but there is no way get at fasteners from underneath. Has anyone removed or know how to remove the name plate?

Any ideas or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Streff

I've seen people put a thin layer of masking tape around those to protect the underlying gel and paint, cut them off with a vibrating tool, repair any minor damage done by the cutting off (there is always some gouging), repaint, and then glue the name back, often after some clean up (they tend to corrode).

I don't remember what was done when I repainted mine. They may have been removed permanently. They were pretty rough.
The painter took care of it.

With similar on other boats, I've drilled out the rivets from the outside, pried it off with a small, thin metal scraper (nothing holding it but time, but time can be gripping...), done the paint work, and glued it back. In between, I sanded to get rid of corrosion, made any missing bits from epoxy putty, filled the holes with epoxy or plastic binder (metal vs plastic), and primed and painted with rattle can chrome.

I've done various things to glue them back...super strong exteruir black double sided tape, alternating bits of double sided tape for immediate bite and glue for better long term hold, alternating hit glue and real exterior glue for the same reason, alternating 0sec hold glue and real glue, and just real glue.

Except when using at least some hot glue or tape, I've using masking tape to hold it in place until dry. That sometimes moves a little and makes it hard to clean extra glue, which is why I switched to at least just enough tape or hot glue to get an immediate bite. That let's me do clean up right away and we'll.

My preferred method now is a mix of tape (at least at the ends) and glue easy, precise install, easy clean up, good permanent bond.

Back
Top Bottom