Old 01-03-2022, 03:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Yorkville
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48 MY
Put offer on 1989 48 motor yacht

We put an offer on a 1989 Carver Californian 48-foot motor yacht today. There are 2 things I know going in. There is a soft spot in the deck under the sun cushion Snaps that tore loose new ones added old ones not sealed. A little soft but hard to tell in 7-degree weather. Boat's 32 years old, I would expect a couple of things wrong. plan on drilling, drying, and injecting some compound to firm up the core and re-gelcoat. area is 20 x 20 reinstall the snaps and cover with the sun pad. Also, some stress cracks on the angles gel coat under the windshield. I am going to assume the windshield needs to be re-sealed. In general, the caulking around the joints should redone IMO. Any insight would be helpful to know what I am in for.
Quicksilver55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Q. In general, ALL deck, hull and house fittings should be re-bedded eventually. What is necessary depends on how good the factory installation and bedding was, how much stress and strain a particular fitting is exposed to (stanchions, cleats, snaps etc.) and any signs of failed bedding (rust seeping from underneath fitting).

Personally, I would stay far away from 3M 5200 or silicone's. I've recently taken to using butyl tape for bedding and am quite pleased with the results thus far. As for caulk, I usually use 3M 4000 for most applications. For clear caulk I use Lexel. https://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/
Old 01-03-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

RT,
Thanks for the information, I am always open to ideas and products that will make the job easier.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
You're exactly right on the effect of cold. Take it from me, when it's 20 below zero F (or 7F), almost any soft deck will stiffen up. Can't really judge deck condition very well when the boat's a solid popsicle. Tough conditions for a boat inspection. But sounds like you're well aware already. One very cold winter some years ago the windshield on our Carver spontaneously shattered, shooting tempered glass chunks everywhere. Some suggested that it maybe wasn't blocked well so the windshield was stressed or "racked" but I tend to think it was more likely a temperature differential -- bright sunshine warming up the space between the shrink wrap and windshield, but still below zero inside the cabin.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks,
Yes the temperature differential can crack or shatter glass. It's our plans to be somewhere a little warmer than Chicago when next winter comes. If not then inside storage is possible.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:13 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I loke buytl to seal bolted down items. For general caulking I have gone away from 3M products and instead am using Sika products. I feel they work much better. We just caulked in our new swim platform extension yesterday with 391 Sika. I did use 3M 5200 to glue and seal the below the water brackets for the down rod supports for it. I only use 5200 where I need an adhesive caulk that will never need removal, because it is almost impossible to remove them after using 5200. Never use silicone.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Good News, survey came back above average condition with a few minor things. The soft deck issue is there but I knew about it before hand and I'm trying to get dry boat out to quote on the repair. I have to reseal the windshield and it should be good to go.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have an additional question, I'm trying to find out where this boat was actually built. The HIN begins with CDRJA I can't seem to find out if it was still built in the Tustin plant or the North Carolina plant.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:41 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
One very cold winter some years ago the windshield on our Carver spontaneously shattered, shooting tempered glass chunks everywhere... I tend to think it was more likely a temperature differential -- bright sunshine warming up the space between the shrink wrap and windshield, but still below zero inside the cabin.
Sounds about right. Years ago I darkly tinted all of my deckhouse windows, which was a huge help in the Southern California summer sun, without air conditioning.

One night was very cold out and early the next more I awoke to multiple gun shots going off and my windows being blown apart. Turns out the early morning sun heated the glass which captured the heat with the tinting, thus shattering it. Multiple windows.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote