New Washer/Dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
In have a 1990 48 Californian MY with washer/dryer stackable in third bedroom. Getting ready to replace it. Looks like the only way is to remove the steps coming in from the back deck and dropping it straight down. Has anyone replaced a unit on this MY?

The Brockerts

No experience with your boat. However, I Took several cardboard boxes, cut and taped them so I had one box that was the exact dimensions of the washer/dryer. I then experimented on what was the best way to get from the dock to the cabinet. Much easier to find out using a 2 lbs box than a 200 lbs washer. Once I had it all figured out I ordered the washer.

When we replaced one in a previous boat I used cardboard taped to the bulkheads to prevent scratching them. Worked out well and no damage.

Been there done that in our 1988 CPMY. All of the new stackable units are far too tall to install as a replacement in our case. The unit was just next to the stairs going into the master stateroom. Wound up pulling it out and found an old washing machine repair guy who was able to repair it. The only way I could see to get it out was to cut it up and remove it or have a glass company come and remove the glass in the center of the windshield and lift it out.

As a replacement we were going to use a separate Splendide washer/dryer units and install those in the original space. Glad we were able to fix it!

Good notes. We have the original stacker unit chugging away in our 1989 48 CPMYa

I have the original GE Spacesaver washer/dryer stack circa 1991. Still works great although the belts squeak a bit.

But my concern is the manual says the neutral is strapped to ground on these units. We are tripping an ELCI as a result. Has anyone been successful eliminating the neutral to ground?

A hint for anyone installing or removing a Splendide washer/dryer combo. There is a 25 pound concrete block bolted to the top of the drum enclosure which can be easily removed. It's there to help dampen vibration from an unbalanced load.

Take out two screws at the top corners of the back and lift the top off. Remove three nuts holding the gray block in place and your job just go 25 pounds lighter. Move unit as needed and replace block.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom