New Californian Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FalconPilot

I just completed the purchase of a 1982 Californian 34’ LRC. She is a little different from others I’ve seen. The stateroom in the bow is extended, and the second stateroom removed. And it has a fireplace.

Twin cat 3208NA, and aluminum fuel tanks installed in 2005. She needs bottom paint, new thru hulls, repacking for shafts and rudders, new cables, hydraulic service, and risers.

https://imgur.com/gallery/y2CmcdM

Very interesting, especially the diamond plate aluminum toolbox. Make a cushion and a backseat for it and you will have something.

Many people complain about the noise factor of a forward stateroom.

Other than that, it looks to be a nice boat.

pete

I just completed the purchase of a 1982 Californian 34’ LRC. She is a little different from others I’ve seen. The stateroom in the bow is extended, and the second stateroom removed. And it has a fireplace.

Twin cat 3208NA, and aluminum fuel tanks installed in 2005. She needs bottom paint, new thru hulls, repacking for shafts and rudders, new cables, hydraulic service, and risers.

I'm a relatively new owner to a Californian 42 LRC 1983 with twin Cat 3208 naturals. It looks like from your pics you're running those Cats pretty hard. They're good engines but getting on in years. Treat 'em nice.

Very unique and interesting layout, Erik. Never saw one laid out quite like that. Looks like it was all gutted and rebuilt on the inside.

Do you have a hanging locker on the port side, aft of the bed (just out of the frame)? Do you dine al fresco in the cockpit?

I'm curious of your hull ID # starts with JCM. If you care to share other HID numbers, feel free to post of PM. I'm trying to follow the coding and changes throughout the years. (My 1977 is HIN JCM034010277) Many don't have a '0' before the '34'. I was told by Gil and Jule Marshall that all CA built Marshall 34 LRCs started with JCM.

Welcome!

Your the first 34 LRC that I have seen, besides ours, that has the two hatches, cool.

What took the place of the cabin to port that was deleted? The fireplace is on the starboard side, right?

Last edited:

I think you have a new BFF.

Flywright has been known to travel for hours to visit other CA34 owners.

He is actually a great guy and well informed about your model and can probably help you should any questions arise with yoru boat.

Is that fireplace electric or gas?

First of all Erik as much as it hurts me to say this... Congratulations on the purchase of my,, opps I mean your new Boat. Ha, I saw her the day before you and was in the middle of trying to close on my slip in Santa Barbara and when I called the next day.. you had already made your move.. so nice work Erik and congratulations again, glad to see her go local.

I look forward to seeing you out at the Channel Islands someday, feel free to ask me where the fish are when you see me out there on my un-purchased mystery Californian But I will find one.

I know you got er at a pretty good price and she did present well with the exception that the owner never ran her for years. Its good to see her up at speed and on plane.

I really liked the way the bed in the bow was done and plan to do that to mine.. ONCE I FIND my boat lol.

To all others... I am Chris, newbie here and I hope to be able to help and learn from you all.

Welcome Chris.

Your boat will come along!

Welcome to The Trawler Forum. The 34 LRC is nice. A buddy of mine has one in
San Diego and loves it. I think his has twin Perkins.

Welcome to The Trawler Forum. The 34 LRC is nice. A buddy of mine has one in
San Diego and loves it. I think his has twin Perkins.

Pack Mule, who is your buddy I SD? I’m located there with a 34 LRC.

First of all Erik as much as it hurts me to say this... Congratulations on the purchase of my,, opps I mean your new Boat. Ha, I saw her the day before you and was in the middle of trying to close on my slip in Santa Barbara and when I called the next day.. you had already made your move.. so nice work Erik and congratulations again, glad to see her go local.

I look forward to seeing you out at the Channel Islands someday, feel free to ask me where the fish are when you see me out there on my un-purchased mystery Californian But I will find one.

I know you got er at a pretty good price and she did present well with the exception that the owner never ran her for years. Its good to see her up at speed and on plane.

I really liked the way the bed in the bow was done and plan to do that to mine.. ONCE I FIND my boat lol.

To all others... I am Chris, newbie here and I hope to be able to help and learn from you all.

Welcome aboard, Searow! The 34 LRC is a great vessel for a variety of missions. I fish and cruise with mine 12 months a year in the CA Delta and SF Bay.

One thing I like about them is that no two are alike. 1 or 2 stateroom, galley up or down, twin Cats at 22 Kts or Perkins at 7.5 Kts, Lower helm or no lower helm, and the galley layouts vary through the years. One thing I love that they all seem to have in common is the dry head/separate shower in 34...somewhat rare in other 34s with 2 staterooms.

Hope you enjoy the hunt for your dream boat. There are several 34 LRC owners here so feel free to ask questions.

One thing I like about them is that no two are alike. 1 or 2 stateroom, galley up or down, twin Cats at 22 Kts or Perkins at 7.5 Kts, ..... here so feel free to ask questions.

Thanks !
I would like to dive deeper into understanding the benefits of the Engine options.

At this time I am pretty much searching for boats that have already been re-powered.. the question is.. what is my best option;
1) Cat 3208 (or do they go for ever if well maintained?)
2) Perkins (Best fuel economy?)
3) Cummins 6bt (I have seen this option in re-powered boats, would love to know more about this engine)

I definitely will be concerned about fuel economy and distance as I plan to trip down to Baja, However it is nice to have speed available when needed weather/fish or just need to be there etc it is nice to always have that speed option. Of course there is reliability and rebuild costs to look at.. what is the easiest to get parts etc.

Fuel tanks are another concern I want to be aware of, have many had issues? I don't want to have to re-tank my new boat.

Lots to learn, I am not in a big rush to pull the trigger right now so I am making a good long search for the right price but mostly looking for a boat that has been taken care of well.

I probably should start a thread on this but need to finish reading all the already posted stuff before I do.

ps, Sorry for kinda hijacking this thread Erik.. again Congratulation on your new boat Erik.

I really liked the way the bed in the bow was done and plan to do that to mine.. ONCE I FIND my boat lol

I found my Boat ! Hey FalconPilot or anyone with similar or better options for turning the bunks into more of a master State room with a bigger bed.

Falcon, when I was looking at that boat in Ventura I really liked the set up and plan to do about the same to mine.

Can you post or send me more picture so I can copy?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom