location of navigation lights on your californian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
mine are right under the pilothouse roof lip on the corners.
i was wondering if that is a good spot, it doesnt look like it was the original placing of the navigation lights.

yes you are supposed to have a stern light, and a port and a starboard light when operating after dark.

superdiver wrote:

What are the "normal" stern lights? Are they flood lights or a simple light like the rest of the Nav lights?
That would be a 135-degree stern white light.* ... You really need to get the book Chapman Piloting and Seamanship**or at least Google "colregs."

its part of your running lights..and yes part of standard equipment.
mine is located on the stern, just below the rail.
if i have my dinghy up it actually blocks my stern light so i have considered to move it to a higher location..

Mine is in the same spot; centerline of the caprail in the stern. Using the Weaver snap davits puts the dinghy high enough to completely block light. Currently considering following as solutions. 1. Install a plug in type 12v socket & use a pole type light similar to an anchor light, but blocked off to the correct 135 degree angles. 2. Install small stern type light on centerline of FB overhang. Suspect that the wiring of the 12v plug-in would be easier. 'Course, as little running as we do at night, I could just tow the dink & save all the hassle. Gotta love boats!

My red/green nav lights are mounted below the caprail on the forward hull sides stbd and port. If you look REAL close, you can see the stbd one in my avatar.* (Edit: avatar changed) The fwd white nav is mounted on top of the pilothouse 'brow' and my stern white nav light is on the aft caprail. Just as important is the anchor light which I have mounted on the highest point on my radar mast. The original is still mounted on the starboard side of the flybridge console.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Thursday 10th of March 2011 11:11:42 PM

Last edited:
If you are running an all around white light on your mast, and your red/green sidelights, you are legal for a vessel under 12 meters.

As to the sidelights under the brow, I think it's better than being in the original position under the *cap rail, simply because it's not exposed to as much salt water, and being higher is not obstructed by large waves.

PS-The anchor light serves as your all around white light.

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 14th of March 2011 09:20:18 PM

superdiver wrote:

OK, so when running at night, my anchor light (which I know works, and is high) works as my white stern light?
Yes, as long as you don't have your 225 degree mast head light on at the same time. The beauty of that arrangement is that your dinghy will never block your stern light.

If you have any doubt, look at the Nav Rules.

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 11:16:55 AM

Carey wrote:

As to the sidelights under the brow, I think it's better than being in the original position under the *cap rail, simply because it's not exposed to as much salt water, and being higher is not obstructed by large waves.

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 14th of March 2011 09:20:18 PM
i was thinking the sidelights would be better over the brow rather than under the brow?

I like how Grand Banks and some other trawlers do it...on the side of the flybridge with nameboards and a green/red painted area to accentuate the color day or night.*

-- Edited by FlyWright on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 02:21:27 PM

Check you nav light rules and you will most probably find that the port and stbd lights should be mounted on a black back ground.

Benn

Back
Top Bottom