Installing Cold Start device on T6354

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMK818

Vessel Name
Fleur de Lis
Vessel Make
1979 California Marshal 42
Would like to install a cold start device (heater/glow plug) to my 78 Perkins TE-6354M motor. Perkins Parts manual shows there is one available. Does anyone know where it is installed? Any special items needed other than the plug/device itself? Does it go on the round plug located on the aft end of the air intake manifold?

perkins motor.jpg

I've not seen one on a Perkins. Why do you need it?

I've not seen one on a Perkins. Why do you need it?

How cold of temperatures do you plan on operating?, I have not run mine in extreme cold temps but to my knowledge, the Perkins (6.354 at least) really don't need any help starting cold. If you are looking to reduce smoking on startup, a block heater (the pump type which heats and circulates the coolant) can be very effective.

I can’t answer your question However I agree with Gdavid. If ac power is available you will get more bang for your buck from a block heater.

In extreme cases I've heard of holding a hair dryer at the air intake. Probably as effective as anything if you have ac power.
My Perkins manual which covers industrial as well as marine engines mentions a cold start system, but it's the kind that burns diesel fuel in the intake. A little too scary for me, and maybe not used on boats. I've never had trouble starting them but if I do I've got the wife's hair dryer on board. My Onan generator has a glow plug in the intake so that should always start.

Is the manual showing a preheater or a glowplug? Modern diesels use glow plugs in the combustion chamber to aid starting but the engine needs to be designed to accept them (6 in your case). If it shows a single part its a preheater which heats the intake manifold, here's an example of one on a 4-cyl Perkins. Most likely its a preheater in the manifold and there should be a plug in the manifold for it. You need to hook to the fuel system as well. Block heaters work if you're on shore power but they take hours to warm the engine. We use our block heaters at the dock as it reduces smoke a lot but on the hook.

Mine is on the elbow into the back of the intake. There is a threaded boss on there for it. Need to run a fuel line and switched power to it. I'm not sure but I think the fuel line comes off the fuel filter housing on the engine. Not near the boat to check.

My Cummins CTA's had preheaters in the intake. They minimize smoke upon startup, but do not aid in cold starting as far as I know.

They have heated pads that you can stick to your oil pan that will keep your oil warm and elevate the engine temp a little above ambient temp. You could also just put a small space heater in the engine room. Those would be fairly cheap and easy solutions. Remember that your hull is surrounded by water than will never be colder than 30 degrees F no matter how cold the air is. Engine heaters make lots of sense for snow plows and ski trail groomers. I would think the benefit for boats is marginal at best.

Thank you everyone. It appears the starting issue is related to other mechanical issues (Fuel injector pump and possibly the atomizers. Having both of systems serviced. I do like the use of the hair dryer. Cheap, available and less maintenance.

Once again thank you.

The cold start on that is an airbox preheater, and there should be a port in the air intake for it. It also as I remember gets a fuel line to it, tapped off the return. A small amount of fuel fed to the element augments heating.

I have the same engine in my 77 Mk l. Don't waste your time or money. Buy a can of starting fluid with a little plastic tube on the nozzle. Open the floor, put your key in the ignition and aim the the starting fluid at the turbo intake but not directly in it. Turn the key and give a short blast of fluid towards the intake and it will be all you need. Works every time.

When I purchased my willard 30 trawler the Perkins 4-107 engine would not start unless one cranked for a very long time. North Harbor Diesel fortunately told me about the Perkins preheat device and installed it in the air intake. With that the engine would start. Used it for about ten years until we scrapped the 4-107 for other reasons. If the engine's compression is low this will fix the problem.

I called it the "flame thrower". A few drops of diesel are dripped onto a heater which , when starting, ignites and is sucked into the engine. So the engine thinks it is all warmed up. My engine was not used in a very cold climate. Typically 50 deg F ambient.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom