Holding Tank Vent Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the same issue of a odor on using vacuflush. Odor is inside and at vent.

Start by seeing my reply to Backinblue.

I am replacing hatch gaskets to contain smell.

I'm pretty sure you're actually mean you're attempting to contain odor inside the boat to the inside of a locker...but why would you want to do that instead of eliminating the odor???

It's highly unlikely that you have an air leak at the tank...air leaks only occur in the plumbing between the bowl and the vacuum pump...the holding tank isn't part of VacuFlush. I'll be glad to send you--and anyone else who'd like to have it) my article "VacuFlush 101" which explains how the VF works if you'd like to send me a PM that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to a PM). If you had a leak at the tank you'd see visible evidence of it at a fitting or a crack in the tank.

We add a little Oxyclean or Tide with each flush.

They might prevent animal fat build up on tank walls and any tank level sensors inside the tank, but won't do a thing to prevent odor out the vent. Start using a real tank product...No-Flex Digestor Noflex Digestor is the top rated product and the one I recommend.

I am cleaning holding tank well after each emptying.

Just rinsing it out with a few gallons of water in the tank using a hose nozzle via the deck pumpout fitting is all that's needed...a more thorough rinse in preparation for winter or other extended layup.

As for your odor inside the boat...permeated hoses and/or residual odor left in lockers that stinky hoses passed through are the most likely source, but not the only possible source. A wet bilge in need a SERIOUS cleaning instead of just dumping something in the bilge and letting it slosh around for a while is also a likely culprit.

At the risk being accused of attempting to sell you something, both you and Backinblue NEED my book (see link in my signature below, just click on the title)...especially the section that deals with odors inside the boat AND holding tank maintenance and odor out the vent.

--Peggie

Thanks Peggie, I plan to buy your book, it's the least I can do for all the help you provide. I don't have a particularly smelly boat although my wife is ultra-sensitive to it and sometimes notices something. For me, I am trying to get better educated and do the right things like using no-flex and only toilet cleaners approved for holding tanks. This is what I use now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZFUYLK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a normal pumpout, what procedure do you use? I have a fresh water toilet and flush a few extra bowls of clean water through but that's about it. At end of season I will add some water through the pumpout port with a hose and have it pumped again. Is that sufficient?

Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited:
For a normal pumpout, what procedure do you use? I have a fresh water toilet and flush a few extra bowls of clean water through but that's about it. At end of season I will add some water through the pumpout port with a hose and have it pumped again. Is that sufficient?

Flushing a few bowlful of water does little to stir up any sludge in the tank. No need to do this after every pumpout, but I'd put a few gallons of water into the tank via the deck pumpout fitting and pump that out a couple times after pumpout --and run the last couple of gallons through any overboard discharge pump and its related plumbing--2-3 x/season and especially at the end of the season.

--Peggie

I bought Peggie's book many years ago and read it several times.

No vent filter for me (my boat never had one so I didn't have to remove it).

My boat did have cheap and inappropriate hoses so I replaced them with high quality sanitation hose.

I use Odorlos as my tank treatment and it seems to work well for me.

Hi Peggy.
I’m not getting something.
You stated that the ideal vent hose should have a rise of no more than 45 degrees and not more than 5 feet long.

Does this mean that I can’t have a short hose that goes straight up?

Btw. Have your book, read all of your posts, really appreciate you.

Thanks.

Joe

Hi Peggy.
I’m not getting something.
You stated that the ideal vent hose should have a rise of no more than 45 degrees and not more than 5 feet long.

Does this mean that I can’t have a short hose that goes straight up?

Btw. Have your book, read all of your posts, really appreciate you.

Thanks.

Joe

Wouldn't straight up equal zero degrees?

It does mean that. There's a reason why a vent line should be a horizontal as possible, limiting its rise to a 45 degree angle: gasses in the tank are heavier than air...they don't rise. Ambient air doesn't fall. But they can exchange via a straght path that doesn't rise sharper than 45 degrees...the flatter the better. Although 5' is the optimal length, it's better to have a straight vent line that's a bit longer (note I said "a bit," not another 5' or more) than one than a short one that rises too steeply.

--Peggie

Thanks for the reply.

It only emits an odor when flushed.
Maserator sits on top of black tank.

I think my leak is at the maserator base. So my guess is a flush slightly pressurizes the black tank allowing a gas escape. The hatch seals were going to be replaced anyway.

Otherwise no odor at all.

Guess it's time to pull maserator and rebuild it. Will also pull vent line and look through it.

Will send pm Peggy, thank you.

Gees I love this topic.. My boat could gag a neighboring anchored fleet when flushing before I install a vent filter. I don't aerate my septic tank either. OK... we each have our own ideas and I do respect those of others. For me a simple carbon filter works fine

Our boat came with a vent filter and the smell was terrible. I was going to replace the filter until i read Peggy's book. I removed the filter completely and my odor issues went away.
John

Gees I love this topic.. My boat could gag a neighboring anchored fleet when flushing before I install a vent filter. I don't aerate my septic tank either. OK... we each have our own ideas and I do respect those of others. For me a simple carbon filter works fine

Whatever floats your boat for you is fine with me..but fwiw, it's a lot easier--and cheaper!--to prevent odor out the vent than it is to just give up and block it.

Since blocking it is what you've opted to do, there are a few things you need to know: the average lifespan of a vent line filter is only about a year, depending on how often the boat/toilet is used. Be very careful never to let the tank overflow into the vent line, 'cuz once a filter gets wet it immediately becomes "toast" because that will cause the charcoal in it to swell and block the vent line. I won't bore you with a description of the consequences of a blocked tank vent line except to say that one of them is a pressurized tank which will be very entertaining to those near you when you open the deck pumpout cap to pump out...which you may or may not be able to do against a blocked vent.

Enjoy your vent filter!

--Peggie

I have a boating friend that says the same thing. Before adding a filter it was unbearable and now it's much better. It's probably more of a bandaid than a solution but unless you know the other things to try first, it may be the only option for some.

Not of any particular value to anyone, just sharing:

My sanitary system was recently replaced before I bought the boat, PO condisdered it quite an upgrade and spent a fair amount to have it installed but they did some odd shortcuts. They added a shelf to the hanging locker in the v berth area and installed the holding tank there. In order to attach the lines before sliding it back into this nearly blind hole of a shelf, the left the lines long. The vent line in particular is way too long and had a dramatic dip in it.

Apparently this dip was filled with fluid and resisted vapor flow in either direction. It wasn't a complete blockage but offered enough resistance that there was almost always pressure in the tank when I opened the deck fitting. I thought I had just happened to have an overfull tank the firts time I pumped out and I ran water in the vent line fron the outside to ensure it was clear water ran through it freely of course butbit was still holding this newer batch of water. It tookbme 2:more pump outs before I figued out what the heck was happening. I am a little slow I guess.

As a quick fix, i fished a lenth of small line back to it and pulled it up so it doesn't hold water not ideal at all but I plan to relocate the whole tank this fall and this will be less embarrassment at the pumpout.

Last edited:
Whatever floats your boat for you is fine with me..but fwiw, it's a lot easier--and cheaper!--to prevent odor out the vent than it is to just give up and block it.

Since blocking it is what you've opted to do, there are a few things you need to know: the average lifespan of a vent line filter is only about a year, depending on how often the boat/toilet is used. Be very careful never to let the tank overflow into the vent line, 'cuz once a filter gets wet it immediately becomes "toast" because that will cause the charcoal in it to swell and block the vent line. I won't bore you with a description of the consequences of a blocked tank vent line except to say that one of them is a pressurized tank which will be very entertaining to those near you when you open the deck pumpout cap to pump out...which you may or may not be able to do against a blocked vent.

Enjoy your vent filter!

--Peggie

Peggie--- Yes of course yours is a working solution and by NO means do I infer your methods should be avoided!!!! You have and continue to be an advocate always suggesting ''do it right the first time'' helping others.

I choose a lazy solution that of course does not eliminate ''stink,'' it just keeps it in the tank.

Foggy

EDIT: What bothers me is the foolish approach environmentalists impose onto boaters pertaining to toilet waste!!! I would gladly invest $2-4K into an onboard waste processing system that could minimize pumpouts. To date, such systems are prohibited from dumping into no discharge areas even those outside of harbors after onboard processing.

Last edited:
Bought the book and No Flex.

Pretty sure my problem is a mud dobbers in the vent hose. Will know very soon.

I do not want to be the dock vacuflush expert....

I too don’t want to be an expert on Vacuflush heads but our new boat has one in it. It has a really long discharge hose to the holding tank so I am not sure that I can replace the system or not. Unfortunately I may have to learn how to maintain a Vacuflush…

Peggie--- Yes of course yours is a working solution and by NO means do I infer your methods should be avoided!!!! You have and continue to be an advocate always suggesting ''do it right the first time'' helping others.

I choose a lazy solution that of course does not eliminate ''stink,'' it just keeps it in the tank.

Foggy

EDIT: What bothers me is the foolish approach environmentalists impose onto boaters pertaining to toilet waste!!! I would gladly invest $2-4K into an onboard waste processing system that could minimize pumpouts. To date, such systems are prohibited from dumping into no discharge areas even those outside of harbors after onboard processing.

Boaters are in the minority and an easy target being that we are all privledged and rich. Don't expect regulations to get any better, in fact they will get worse if they can find a way. Govt regulations don't need to make sense and rarely do.

I too don’t want to be an expert on Vacuflush heads but our new boat has one in it. It has a really long discharge hose to the holding tank so I am not sure that I can replace the system or not. Unfortunately I may have to learn how to maintain a Vacuflush…

No need for you or Choices to become VF experts but you do need to know how the d'd thing works (an amazing number of owners think they do but actually don't) and how much water it really needs to keep it trouble free...which my article "VacuFlush 101" will do. I'll be glad to send it to both of you if you'll send me a PM that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to a PM).

Dave, that over-long line from the vacuum pump to the holding tank may be a real problem 'cuz as you'll read in my "VF 101" piece, the suction only pulls the flush as far as the vacuum pump...then it does two things simultaneously: sucks the air out of the system between the bowl and the vacuum pump while it also pushes the flush to the tank. [FONT=&quot] The vacuum tank has a switch and a sensor on it that starts the vacuum pump when there's a loss of "vacuum" (toilet is flushed or an air leak in the system) and turns it off when the correct amount of negative pressure has been reached. How long it runs depends on the distance from the bowl to the pump...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]the shorter the distance, the shorter pump run time. If the line from the pump to the tank is longer than the line from the bowl to the bowl, that's as far as the flush can go without a LOT of help from gravity. There are macerating electric toilets that can shoot bowl contents up to 30'.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

--Peggie

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Peggie,

I have your Vacuflush 101. Just bought the boat and haven’t really used the head except for a couple of times. When we do solids I have been flushing it twice just in case that may help. Time will tell. Will a Marine Elegance flush that far? I am guessing it is about 30’ to 35’.

Peggy, I've also got your book and Sanitation 101 memo. Lots of good info! However, we are still tracing what we believe is a likely plugged vent problem. The vent hose is extremely difficult to get to in the boat (may have to remove the waste tank, ugh), so we are trying everything else first. Interesting, the vent does push air out when the vacu-flush is in use. We can't tell if it is allowing air into the tank for pump out. BUT, wouldn't it make sense that the air vent hose would not be plugged if we can feel the outflow of air? Note we have one more sanitation hose to check/replace before settling on the air vent. Unfortunately, it's not pumping out so we've manually pumped out the waste tank...no fun.

Peggie,

I have your Vacuflush 101. Just bought the boat and haven’t really used the head except for a couple of times. When we do solids I have been flushing it twice just in case that may help. Time will tell. Will a Marine Elegance flush that far? I am guessing it is about 30’ to 35’.

30-35 feet, even using a one inch line that is a lot of water into holding just to clear the lines. I suppose if it starts high and slopes down gravity can keep it clear.

Yes, I have not had a chance to even look at the hose routing. Not sure even how long it is. But the holding tank is in the port stern and the head is starboard forward just aft of the forward cabin.

Peggy, I've also got your book and Sanitation 101 memo. Lots of good info! However, we are still tracing what we believe is a likely plugged vent problem. The vent hose is extremely difficult to get to in the boat (may have to remove the waste tank, ugh), so we are trying everything else first. Interesting, the vent does push air out when the vacu-flush is in use. We can't tell if it is allowing air into the tank for pump out. BUT, wouldn't it make sense that the air vent hose would not be plugged if we can feel the outflow of air? Note we have one more sanitation hose to check/replace before settling on the air vent. Unfortunately, it's not pumping out so we've manually pumped out the waste tank...no fun.
Do you know if there is a vent filter in the vent line?
Why do you think you could not pump out (with suction hose?)

Do you know if there is a vent filter in the vent line?
Why do you think you could not pump out (with suction hose?)
No vent filter. We tried 2 pump outs with No success...tank was full, so we opened the waste tank access and hand pumped (think maual bilge pump)

No vent filter. We tried 2 pump outs with No success...tank was full, so we opened the waste tank access and hand pumped (think maual bilge pump)

Too late now, but did you try the pump out after opening the tank access, thus giving it air to replace the fluid?

Interesting idea, the pump out is in our marina.

Could be an issue with the marina pump out system. Could also be a plugged vent. That could be a real problem because you can collapse the holding tank if it doesn’t get air in via the vent while pumping out. That is a real mess…. After it is pumped out maybe try flushing the vent line into the holding tank using a garden hose. Only do this if you are sure there isn’t a vent filter.

Sbcfranklin,
You and I need to talk. If you'll send me a PM that includes your email address, I'll send you my phone number.

Dave,
According to the specs, "the efficient action of the pump quickly and quietly pulls waste from the bowl with the ability to push the waste an amazing 10' vertically and 100' horizontally." But I think maybe you and I should discuss your hose routing.

--Peggie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom