Old 11-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #1

City: Rockport
Vessel Model: Californian 48 CPMY
Holding Tank

The Admiral and I just purchased a 1988 Californian 48 CPMY and made the trip from Maryland to Maine with no problems. Slowly going through systems, familiarizing myself with where everything is, etc. One thing that has me baffled is where in the heck is the holding tank? I have found the two fuel tanks and the water tank, but the holding tank is elusive. The pump out is on the port side deck. Any ideas?
Mike H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Follow the pump out hose back to the tank.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #3

That would be my first choice, too, and I would if I could. The line is buried behind panels, etc., and I have no idea where it goes.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #4
Guru

waste tank location

Yours is a newer. nicer, biger versoin of my 82 34lLRC but same heritage. Mine is on the centerline between stringrs and the engines. I ended up having to call the PO as it is impossible to see with foam walk on padding covering it.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Follow the line from the head to the holding tank. Often they are white which makes them easier to follow.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Hardin, KY
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities II
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' ACMY
I have a 1989 48' aft deck and it is under a hatch on the port side of the aft bed just inside the stateroom door.
Bare Necessities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #7

Ok, I found the answer this weekend. I pulled up some carpet in the aft cabin and found the water tank at the foot of that berth. Thinking the holding tank might be the opposite, I pulled up the carpet in the forward cabin and found the holding tank built in at the foot of the forward berth. Had to pull the carpet off the tack strips, but only a small area.

During the hunt, I did find some nice chases from aft to forward.

Thanks to all.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Ok, I found the answer this weekend. I pulled up some carpet in the aft cabin and found the water tank at the foot of that berth. Thinking the holding tank might be the opposite, I pulled up the carpet in the forward cabin and found the holding tank built in at the foot of the forward berth. Had to pull the carpet off the tack strips, but only a small area.

Thanks to all.
Hope it is plastic and not metal.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:

Thanks to all.
Interesting configuration. At the start of a trip, the water tank is full and the holding tank empty. As time goes on, a combination of drinking the water and later flushing fills the holding tank as the water tank empties. You can probably tell the level of each just by evaluating the list.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Hope it is plastic and not metal.
That they are (both water and waste). After replacing the stainless holding tank on our sailboat, I don't look forward to doing that again. But, I did live through it....
Old 11-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #11

City: Vashon
Vessel Model: Californian 48
Quote:

Thanks to all.
Sorry for the late bump.

1988 Californian 48. Fiberglass holding tank located part of it in same location in forward cabin.

It's supposed be 70g, which I believe as we are liveaboard and pump out almost every 3 weeks. Issue is, what I am looking at is not 70g. Multiple tanks? Tank continues under galley storage?

Anyone have a diagram or understand the layout and can explain to me?

Also, is it fiberglass over wood?

Thanks for any assistance.
To the dark side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by To the dark side View Post
Sorry for the late bump.

1988 Californian 48. Fiberglass holding tank located part of it in same location in forward cabin.

It's supposed be 70g, which I believe as we are liveaboard and pump out almost every 3 weeks. Issue is, what I am looking at is not 70g. Multiple tanks? Tank continues under galley storage?

Anyone have a diagram or understand the layout and can explain to me?

Also, is it fiberglass over wood?

Thanks for any assistance.
I just went down to the boat and took measurements. Based on what is showing at the foot of the forward berth, the maximum capacity would be around 20 gallons. Our boat has two floor storage areas in the galley. The storage areas appear to be suspended compartments that are sealed, so I can't see what is below them. I suspect the holding tank extends aft in the area under the galley, below those storage compartments.