Getting ready to survey a 1990 Californian MY w/425hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will contact the broker to get his permission. If he agrees I will post it. My Californian is a 1990 52' CPMY. I installed brand new DD 6V92s and gears in the fall of 2002. Took delivery in December in Ft. Lauderdale and had her home before Christmas. I have less than 400 hours on the engines because I do not get to use her much and when I do I do not have to go far to enjoy her. I live on the Indian River and there are beautiful destinations all around me. Great layout but lacks the third SR I would like to have. I also want a bigger bridge deck to carry my flats skiff. The skiff weighs less than 500 lbs but it is too big for my bridge deck. I have a hard top and FB enclosure. I cruise comfortably and economically at 9.5 kts. She will do 20 + kts the I need her to if a summer squall is approaching and I want to run for home. These are great boats!

I have a ‘90 45 that we have owned for 10 years. Best boat ever. Although I work or her all the time it is still still fun. Great boat for living, cruising, and enjoying life. Hope that the survey turns out well.

Agree on all said about getting a knowledgeable person who is emotionally detached. Remember most trouble with boats start with leakages. Wether engine, plumbing, windows, running gear etc. Never underestimate the tiniest leakage tracks, they typically indicate bills to come.
Specifically on the 425s. The basic engines are very reliable. However the 425 had a design flaw. There was no condensation drain in the AC! Make very sure prev owner made use of the Cat recall program to install drain valves. If not you can be pretty sure you’re in for some fundamental valves/head/cylinder overhaul...and the 3208 doesn’t have sleeves, so no luck there.
Good luck, André

I spoke with yacht broker, Mike Webster. He is with Hansen Yachts in Jacksonville, FL. He and the brokerage he works for have been selling Californians since they first started building them. He told me he has sold one yacht seven times over the years! He is very knowledgeable about the brand and the quality of these yachts. He knows most of the ones on the market and coming to market. (904) 923-0033 I encouraged him to join and I think he will.

Sounds like my first trawler survey. It was on a beautiful CHB 47. Looked spectacular. My surveyor went down into the lazarette first. Came back out in 5mins saying "you don't want this one" I was really bummed out. I made a low ball offer after getting some quotes for repairs. Glad he didn't take it.

Love my Californian 55. Seemed to be in great shape when I bought her. Found a bunch of stuff to fix. Worked it out with the PO. Two years in, still finding things to work on. Love the boat. Hey its a boat.

Hey Ricky D. long time no talk. I too have a 55 Californian and when I bought the boat the aft tank was under water. Well there is a bilge pump under the master bed just aft the fuel tank and ahead of the aft holding tank which is under the laz. Fuel tank. Mine was not working. I think I pulled 50gal of swampy water out of it and replaced the float and pump, not a fun job. and not easy to access. It is a 30 year old boat and unless the PO really knows what they are doing it is most likely good to walk away. These older boats are less than half the price of a newer one but need a lot of TLC. Differed maintenance is huge on boats that the owners just want to get rid of.

My bilge under the master bed is completely sealed from other parts of the bilge so water can only come in from the top or over the stringers. Water from the water tanks above it did leak and ruin my fuel tank. $7500 replacement cost. Keep the water out!!! Oh, also, I have no pump in there because there should be no water in there.

Interesting. I have a 1986 48ft MY and I believe 1986 was the last year Marshall owned the company. Everything after that was built by Carver I believe. 375HP 3208 were very popular. Mine was over propped and I had to take 2" out of the pitch. I have cruised over a 1000 miles since 2014 and have had no problems at all. Did discover that the dip sticks were marked wrong and was using a quart of oil per engine every 8 hours. Since I made the corrections I have cruised 400 miles without adding any oil. LOL
I know this is an old post but, I have a 1989 48' Californian similar to yours. I know my bottom is dirty now but even when I splashed after a fresh bottom paint, I could only reach 2400 WOT. I have thought I am propped a bit too high as well. What did you change to and what WOT does your 3208/375 turn at WOT. I run trawler speed most of the time anyway with an occasional WOT for a few minutes to let her clear her throat. Mine are 4 blade 30" x 28". Interested in what you had and what you changed to. Thanks Charlie

Last edited:
Heads up

Mike Webster (Hansen Yachts Jacksonville)has a pocket listing of a last year built 55’ Californian cockpit MY with a custom hard top, that he says is very nice. 17’03” to top of arch.

What’s a “pocket listing” you ask? It’s one that’s not being advertised on Yachtworld or anywhere else where other brokers can see it, and swoop in wanting part of the commission. Sales have been so strong, that many Brokerages are totally out (or almost) of inventory, yet next month they will all have the same business expenses as if they weren’t. No brokerage can stay in business on just 5% commissions.
So all active serious (ready to buy yesterday, with no wife’s permission needed)boat buyers should call Brokers who specialize in their target type boats, and be put on their lists. Don’t mention your cats or ever say “I’m from California”.
From New Orleans to NY that would be Mike Webster at Hansen in Jax. Chuck at Virginia Yacht Sales In Chesapeake Va., and Mike Mascari in Ft. Myers at 239-980-2202.
Don’t email!!! Call!! Busy brokers don’t have time for trolls, brokers, and tire kickers.

Last edited:
My 1986 48 my was over propped 32x26 and could not reach wot of 2700 RPM. I had the props re-pitched to 32x24 and was able to reach WOT That was in 2014 and I am ready for a bottom job this summer but can still reach 2700 RPM. I burn .7 GPM at 1500 RPM and 9.5 to 10 MPH. Hope this helps. Question., Do your 425's have a shallow or deep oil pan and oar you oil dip sticks marked as from the factory or were they marked after installation? My dip sticks were incorrectly marked after installation and I was using a quart of oil every 8 hours. Since I corrected the stick markings I use no oil between oil changes and I am using 8 less quarts of oil per engine per oil change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom