Old 04-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Norco
Vessel Name: Riley G
Vessel Model: 29 Guilles (custom built)
Perkins T6.354MGT only holds 6 quarts of oil

Hi,
I am hoping that another Californian owner can shed some light on my concerns. I have a 1979 Californian 34LRC with the twin 185hp Perkins. When I change the engine oil I only get about 6 quarts out of each engine, including filter change. I run them until they are hot, anchor, and then use the electric pumps plumbed through the drain plug to empty the oil. The oils at that point is thin and flows freely. The problem is that the manual calls for 10.8 quarts for these motors. Does anybody else out there have the same arrangement and same problem? Is it possible that the oil cooling circuit could hold over 4 quarts? I also wonder if the hash marks on my dipstick could be in the wrong place. The engines run great and have 50 and 62 psi at a 1550 cruise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
Sweet marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
US vs Imperial? Litres? Are the engines tilted a lot?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They are US quarts. The engines do not appear to have an excessive angle on them. Thanks, John
Old 04-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet marie View Post
They are US quarts. The engines do not appear to have an excessive angle on them. Thanks, John
I usually only get 8 quarts of oil per engine out of my 1976 6.354M's. There is always some oil left in the pan, oil cooler and piping. As long as you're changing oil on schedule, it shouldn't be a problem.

But you should keep this in mind. If your oil becomes contaminated with water or fuel (failed lift pump diaphragm). You will need to do a more exhaustive draining and flushing of the oil system.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You are probably right about not worrying, after 35 years they are still running strong. Because I know I could never afford to re-power the boat it has made me paranoid when it comes to maintenance. I generally change the oil twice a year and put about 150 hours on them. I am hoping I can get another ten years out of them. I still hope that somebody with the same arrangement might be able to tell chime in. Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

You can get more oil out

I had the same question a few years back on my ST3.544m 200 hp Perkins. On the Port side just aft of the dipstick there is a plug you can remove. Stick a hose in there to the lowest part of the sump and suck it out. If you do a search on the forum you will probably even find a picture of the plug location. The drain plug that they plumbed into your engine is somewhat higher than the lowest part of the sump.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #7

Forgot it is a plate and not a plug
Old 04-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #8

Plate, not plug

There is a small plate. Not a plug just aft of the dipstick.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you very much. I will look and see how much more I can extract. Where do you keep your Californian?
Old 04-08-2015, 12:59 PM   #10

We keep the Solace in Little Bay in Newington, NH
Old 04-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
On my stbd 4.236 Perkins (the 4 cyl version of your 6.354), I added a petcock and barbed nipple where I had a plug in the aft, port corner of the pan. It allows me to suck more oil out of the pan. I need to loosen the port engine rear mounts to be able to get the clearance do the same to the port engine. Just haven't felt the compelling need just yet. I'll tackle it next time the port shaft is disconnected.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
I suggest that you pay a visit to www.Boatdiesel.com. Lots good diesel people there that can supplement the info you can garner in this forum.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What do you have for power?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:08 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The T6354 on a previous boat had a permanently fitted hand pump next to the dipstick(see post 6&7). Worked a treat, easiest oil change extraction ever, a man would be a fool to himself and a burden unto others, not to take advantage of the provision.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #15
PNM
Veteran Member

City: HARWOOD
Changed the Oil on My Perkins T6-3544, 220 HP

I got 1.8 Gal out using the built in pump. I also removed the oil filter with associated oil.
I added 2 gal of oil and the dip stick registered even with the high oil indention.
After running I will probably need to add a pint.

I don't think the built in pump is at the low point of the pan, so, probably left some old oil in the engine.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Be aware that a lot of engines have dipsticks that are incorrectly marked. You may find that the engine will run a bit below or above the full mark. On mine if I fill them to the full mark they will burn some until the oil is midrange and then they stop using oil. When I first got the boat I would fill to the full mark and they would burn some so I would refill. Finally I decided to not top them up and see what happened. They went to midrange and stayed there until the next oil change. So I stopped topping them up and stopped wasting the oil. You have to learn your engines and what they like. Yours might like it topped up or maybe not. Mine have hoses attached to the drain plug so I get most of the oil out of them. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Layla
Vessel Model: 1979 34' Californian LRC
I have the same boat, year, and engines. When we changed the oil on both engines we filled up a 5 gallon buck, plus more in another one, so, quite a bit more than 6 quarts per engine. Also, used a manual vacuum extractor canister. Hmmm.

Tags
perkins oil capacity