Old 04-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

City: PNW
Vessel Model: Californian 45 MY
Fuel manifold and gauge help please

Our new to us 1990 45’ Californian has 3 fuel tanks, one aft, one port and one starboard. I cannot find the manifold to direct which tank I want to pull from. I have identified the supply and return lines & corresponding manifolds on top of each tank but no manifolds to direct fuel specifically from the Starboard and port tanks.

Right now, it is Only pulling from the Aft tank that is under the bed. I am not even sure how to fill that aft tank to complicate things. And stud fuel gauge is stuck to add to the confusion. But I only see the aft tank gauge dropping with use. Current fuel was there when we bought the boat.

So many fuel docs are closed right now that I am getting worried about traveling long stretches. Boat has total capacity of 400g across all tanks.

I appreciate any and all input or suggestions.

Streff
Streff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: MV RADIANT
Vessel Model: 1991 Carver Californian MY 4809
On my 1991 Californian 4809, the manifold valves are under the step leading down to the aft stateroom.
Ray.Yager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #3
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Ours also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray.Yager View Post
On my 1991 Californian 4809, the manifold valves are under the step leading down to the aft stateroom.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #4
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Same with my 55, under the step. Also, I replaced my "under the bed" fuel tank and corresponding fuel sensor and gauge. Also, replaced the 90 angle fuel sensor for the aft " Seems like the only one made is the original from Centroid Products.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
Same with my 55, under the step. Also, I replaced my "under the bed" fuel tank and corresponding fuel sensor and gauge. Also, replaced the 90 angle fuel sensor for the aft " Seems like the only one made is the original from Centroid Products.
We wound up doing the same. The Centroid units work well. It’s just they are the only ones that will work with the stock system.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:12 AM   #6

Thank you very much to Capt. Jon, Ray Yager and Ricky D. I found the manifold just as you described. I was able to switch to the wing tanks just in time. Arrived at a fuel dock 30min before it closed. I was in the red section of the gauges. It seemed that 40 gallons were still there even though I was in the red. Diesel was at $2.19/gallon.. prices from long ago.

I will definitely get order a Centroid and get this fixed..

BTW, do any of you have coolant from the port engine circulating through a water heater. I guess to heat water underway. I have 2 water tanks. I only know of one that heats fine. The other tank is connected to the coolant system. I suppose there must be a valve or such to pull hot water from this 2nd tank.

Thanks again

Streff
Old 04-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
Streff, My hot water system is separate from the engines. My last boat had that but not my Californian
Old 06-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #8

City: Osage Beach
Vessel Name: Cell Mates
Vessel Model: Californian 45'
I have a 1988 45' Californian and the fuel selector manifold is indeed under the last step of the stairway leading to the master stateroom. You can see the lines and the back of the valves on the port side of the engine room just above the prop shaft.
My main tank (210gal under the aft stateroom bed) had a bad fuel gauge. Simple float gauge and i found one to replace it with on Amazon for $25. Very simple replacement.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-SP0F000...s%2C171&sr=8-2

The side tanks (next to the engines) are around 92 gal and use a capacitance type gauge with a "tube inside a tube." I thought mine were bad because after several weekends of use they still showed almost "full." I unscrewed the top screw on the fuel gauge probe (on the side near top of tank with several wires attached) and fuel shot out. So it really was almost still full! Ran it a couple more weekends and then pulled the fuel sender. There was room to get it out and pull upward. I re-attached the wires and the gauge showed "empty." I had the wife watch the gauge and it went up to almost full gradually as I inserted the probe. So they work! But the company that made them still will make them if you order one. I think they need the measurements of the old one, or if you call them - they may say send the old one and they can copy.

CENTROID PRODUCTS - Electronic Fuel and Water Senders
LearPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #9

Thank you very much, LearPilot. That’s very helpful.

Streff