Old 06-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
That is what I would have done. Fiberglass work is pretty easy although messy. If I am not sure how much glass to put in, I just put more in than I think is reasonable. Haven't had any let go yet. My fiberglass guy says I use too much glass, but it is cheap and I don't want to have to go back and redo it. Glas it worked out so well for you.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rob View Post
Time to go fishing! Mahalo, Rob

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #43
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Still haven't solved my fresh water loss. Strangest thing, used the boat over a weekend, water tank was full on Friday and still over half full, about 80 gal. on Sunday. Came back two weekends later, water tank is empty? Leaking tank or hoses would drain into the bilge, the bilge is empty and pumps haven't run. Fresh water pump and water heater are turned off and no sign of water anywhere. Sink valves weren't left open, so one would think there would be no siphon?

Where the *#%@*+* is the water going.

My neighbors are notorious pranksters But to drain the tank completely, they would need access to the service panel or engine room. Way too much effort for them and besides no beer missing from the fridge.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #44
Guru

Larry,
Did you leave the water pressure pump turned on? might turn it off next time?
Could it be a leak in a waterline in some obscure place that doesn't drain to the bilge? Your talking about quite a bit of water, I can't believe it could evaporate that quick.

Craig
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #45
Guru

Larry, My bad, upon rereading I realized you said the fresh water pump was off.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #46
Guru

Nope, Pump is turned off and I release the line pressure at the galley sink and then close the valve. Only thing I can think of is some siphon effect into a sink or the overboard tank vent.

Nice 34' sedan with a blue hull and white decks in Cape Sante Marina over the weekend. Looked like fresh paint, Beautiful. Window trim was all white, couldn't tell from a distance if it was painted wood or factory white trim. Maybe it's a later model?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #47
TF Site Team

Larry, I have given this considerable thought and tend to lean toward the prankster explanation. But since you assure us that this is neither practical nor likely, I have but one other possibility as a cause.

Your boat is haunted.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Larry, I have given this considerable thought and tend to lean toward the prankster explanation. But since you assure us that this is neither practical nor likely, I have but one other possibility as a cause.

Your boat is haunted.
Maybe the spirit of the previous owner? Oh wait. . . . . I am the first owner[emoji15]

Well, then the ghost of my ex wife then and she hated the boat, that works![emoji317]
Old 08-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #49

City: Mission Bay
Vessel Model: 1988 Carver/Californian 42 Flybridge
Same boat, 42 years. Now that is some kind of record.
I would really like to hear the stories.
Your tank is leaking... but I have a new idea!
Capt Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:17 AM   #50

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
I have two fresh water tanks on my 1981 Marine Trader. A primary one in the lazarette that receives the water (37"x22"x40"), then drains into the main water tank under the queen bed.
2 years ago the tank in the lazarette had a crack which I fixed with epoxy. It is leaking again and you can hear it buckle and warp when it fills with water. The guy at Industrial Plastics, they deal in fibreglass and epoxy, says that fibreglass tanks age and fail. If you patch leaks it will only crack somewhere else. I'm looking at re&re with a polyethylene tank. Nasty job considering the tight quarters.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #51

City: Redondo Beach
Vessel Name: Hula Hut
Vessel Model: 42' Californian Trawler
Found my fresh water leak

I have a 42’ Californian trawler and have had a fresh water tank leak for about a year. I have searched for the leak countless hours with no luck until I forked out $50.00 on a 30 foot long borescope. I was able to fish it under the tank and sure enough I found the leak. Then the problem was figuring out where the leak was in reference to the tank. I found on my second try (hole!) first try was in the lazarette. From that hole I found the leak was about 24 inches into the bedroom. I cut the floor open. Then I cut another hole in the tank and found the leak. Then with more access to the tank I discovered what caused the leak. Somewhere along the boats long life somebody drilled a through hole and failed to retrieve the trash and somehow it made it way under the tank. Then with the pressure of the water caused a hole. I am thinking it was from the boat builder because there is no place for the big 1 1/2” round hole saw fiberglass piece to work it’s way under there. So I had to cut another hole in the bottom of the tank to get the fiberglass piece out of there. I am going to patch it all up this week. I will be installing two 8” round inspection hatches. That way future problems will be easier to deal with. Then the bottom hole will be patched with west system epoxy and fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
A9CC485C-000D-4A27-8167-629528904445.jpg   2BADEB20-CA44-4F00-A9BC-0515BC4B9AA0.jpg   C437A870-A730-45C4-98B3-B0F2367FD79A.jpg   97EB518C-A7E7-4A59-A349-15327C74F724.jpg  
mattprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #52
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Nice work Mattprovence. I have a slow leak as well and have tried with little success to scope underneath to find the leak. I did notice some debris under the tank. Maybe I'll take another look.

I wonder if the builder used the scrap through hole to help position the tank while they glassed it to the stringers?
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:52 AM   #53
TF Site Team

Great find and fix, Matt! What a job!!

Old 08-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #54
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattprovence View Post
I have a 42’ Californian trawler and have had a fresh water tank leak for about a year. I have searched for the leak countless hours with no luck until I forked out $50.00 on a 30 foot long borescope. I was able to fish it under the tank and sure enough I found the leak. Then the problem was figuring out where the leak was in reference to the tank. I found on my second try (hole!) first try was in the lazarette. From that hole I found the leak was about 24 inches into the bedroom. I cut the floor open. Then I cut another hole in the tank and found the leak. Then with more access to the tank I discovered what caused the leak. Somewhere along the boats long life somebody drilled a through hole and failed to retrieve the trash and somehow it made it way under the tank. Then with the pressure of the water caused a hole. I am thinking it was from the boat builder because there is no place for the big 1 1/2” round hole saw fiberglass piece to work it’s way under there. So I had to cut another hole in the bottom of the tank to get the fiberglass piece out of there. I am going to patch it all up this week. I will be installing two 8” round inspection hatches. That way future problems will be easier to deal with. Then the bottom hole will be patched with west system epoxy and fiberglass.

Great job! I've got a similar leak in an '83 LRC 42'. When you were working in the tank did you notice if the tanks have baffles? I may want to be lazy, cut a hole, insert a bladder and be done.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #55

City: Redondo Beach
Vessel Name: Hula Hut
Vessel Model: 42' Californian Trawler
Hey portage_bay. There are baffles in the water tank. I would say they are about every 2 feet. I don’t know how you would get a bladder in that tank. It is so long and with such little access along with the 6-8 baffles. In my pictures above it shows the baffles in pic 2&3.
mattprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #56
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattprovence View Post
Hey portage_bay. There are baffles in the water tank. I would say they are about every 2 feet. I don’t know how you would get a bladder in that tank. It is so long and with such little access along with the 6-8 baffles. In my pictures above it shows the baffles in pic 2&3.

Thanks Matt. The leaker I'm facing is in fwd tank that runs under the battery bank and gen set. If I'm lucky and it is accessible from the areas not covered by batts and gen it will be simpler than otherwise. In either case it goes on the back burner for now. The boat is new to me and I'm working through the survey list for insurance so I can get out and enjoy the rest of the season.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote