Old 10-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Texas
Vessel Name: Miss Adventure
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 CMY
"If you are inquiring on the "Californian" thread of this forum and not the "General" thread then its obvious that you are targeting the owners of Californian trawlers not a DeFever. If you are responding to a post then you should know where you are at before you comment...Over.."

I made the same mistake as others. The thread listing under "Trawler Discussions" says "Engine Access". Nothing about Californians.

You also mentioned; "I do all my own maintenance and most of my engine work."
You might enjoy a look at a well kept DeFever 44 or 49 CMY if you can find one. (Full disclosure- I own one and am spoiled by the engine room) For a twin engine boat of that size and price range, the engine, gen set(s) and other mechanicals access is tough to beat.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:22 AM   #22

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclays View Post
The one I saw in San Diego had a small access door under the stairs in the lower forward cabin. Is there one under the stairs in the lower aft cabin>
Thanks
Jc, there is no ER access from the aft cabin. I believe that both an attempted entrance under the aft stairs or through the aft closet are both off center of where you'd want to be. The stairs would force you enter right next to the port exhaust riser on the port engine and the closet/shower wall would force you to enter right next to the stb exhaust riser on the port engine. (based on 3208s) Plus, the battery boxes crowd the available vertical space at that point as well and the battery switches would have to be relocated.

I wonder if you couldn't locate the corner of the covered hatches with a drill from the bottom and use a multi-master type of tool to free them up - followed by framing/trimming with taco hatch molding?

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:45 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Mark,
Engines are just engines and only mechanics “lower themselves” into such undesirable places. Most of the people topside will appreciate fine accommodations though even away from the club.
My engine mechanic loves my engine and presumably its access. I find the battery boxes on either side of the engine convenient spots to sit while twisting fuel valves (have four fuel tanks) and changing filters, and so on.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #24
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
The standard hatch configuration for a 79 Californian 42 LRC is two lift out hatches side by side over the engines and another hatch forward over the Generator.

The only other access is the door under the stairs in the forward cabin.

If the hatches are covered over with new flooring it's likely not an issue for routine maintenance.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #25
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Here's a view with the engine hatches open. The generator hatch is along the port side and is closed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0442 (Large).JPG  
TG is offline   Reply With Quote