Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #1

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Name: Island Girl
Vessel Model: Californian 34 LRC
Cosmetic Updates

Newbie here but not with the Californian 34. We have owned ours for about 6 years. It is a 1983*with 3208 NA Cats and we cruise NC waters.

Many of the Californians I've seen*had some real aesthetic issues such as marine plywood floors with carpet cut by hand, dark wood grain counter tops and pitifully small sinks.

So, here are some cosmetic*updates that yes, aren't needed but sure make momma happy! And you know what they say...
Attached Thumbnails
new floor salon-counter top-sink.jpg   setee fabric 2012.jpg   new head.jpg  
mjmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
RE: Cosmetic Updates

Very nice, MJM. I have always liked the teak and holly floors. I have the carpeted version, just not the hand-cut version. I always thought the T&H floors would look classy and be easier to maintain. For now, I keep some comfortable oriental rugs for padding and protection.

Nice tables, too. Did you make those yourself?

We found the standard table a bit confining at the settee, so we did something similar with 22 inch rounds and local nautical maps under a layer of resin. Much easier to get into the seats. I recently added another table mount to the cockpit lazarette hatch to allow us to use one of the tables out back.

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Welcome to the Forum Mary Jane nice boat, love the floors.

Flywright

Your make that Nautical table yourself?* That's really cool.

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
TF Site Team

Yes, Larry. After a visit to Tap Plastics, I had all the supplies, instruction sheets and encouragement I needed to give it a try. It was a fun and easy weekend project. They're not perfect, but I enjoy them and our guests enjoy having easy access to charts of the area.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #5

I put in teak floors. I used square tiles from a lumber yard. I'll see if I can post a picture.

I also have a radar mast to which I added a spreader for flag halyards.
gezellig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
TF Site Team

Quote:
gezellig wrote:
I put in teak floors. I used square tiles from a lumber yard. I'll see if I can post a picture.

I also have a radar mast to which I added a spreader for flag halyards.
*Welcome, gezellig! This might help...

http://www.trawlerforum.com/t47288395/picture-posting/
Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

Nice tables, too. Did you make those yourself?

Yes we had the stanchions, got two pieces of cypress. Gave us a lot more room.
I like your table too. Local charts are a great idea.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 AM   #8

Has anyone modified the vee berth to make a one piece double bed? Or taken both staterooms and converted to one large stateroom?

Our vee has bunk bed on the port side and master has a small double (with filler) on port.

When the kids were younger it was perfect. Now we are debating whether
to keep the reliable boat we love and trust or move up to a larger boat.

Advice?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #9

City: Seward, AK
Vessel Name: Spirit
Vessel Model: 1979 34' Californian
Love the wood floors. I am planning on upgrading mine from carpet and padding that the PO had installed to control the engine noise. In fact, he installed padding in the bottom of the cabinets also due to noise. How did you deal with that issue?
Alaskahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
MJ, welcome to the forum. I am in Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) across the river. From the view thru the windows in your boat pics I am guessing you're docked at Washington YC or McCotters?

Your boat looks great. My cosmetic repairs are 'way behind the quality of yours.. but I started with a boat 10 years older than yours and likely in much worse condition.

I have one question: How do you get anything to stay put on those little cocktail tables???
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
I have one question: How do you get anything to stay put on those little cocktail tables???
I sort of wondered how that would work while building them, too. Ours are 22 inch rounds and size has not proven to be a problem. We can feed two from each table with an extra chair used for seating. We also carry a 24" x 48" folding table in the ER for additional table space in the cockpit. It seats 4 easily or is available for a food buffet (or cleaning very large fish...don't tell the admiral!).

Occasionally I find myself picking up a pencil or TV remote that rolls or gets bumped off the small tables, but the size seems to be a good compromise to allow ease of access into the setee and through the cabin.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
Guru

MJ:
Has anyone modified the vee berth to make a one piece double bed? Or taken both staterooms and converted to one large stateroom?

Our vee has bunk bed on the port side and master has a small double (with filler) on port.

Mine has a similar layout except I don't have s bunkbed over the V. I bought the boat for a number of features but sleeping accomodations wasn't one of them. When I first looked I didn't realize how lousy it is. Admiral and I use the V-berth as the main since it is not so confining as the Mid. The fiddles that keep the cushions in place are hell to sleep on. I know better (thicker) cushions would help, but I will be studying to see if I can figure out how to redesign the two cabins into one. I didn't have a brain storm last year when I looked. I am not sure how structural the bulkhead between the two cabins is to the coach roof. It does house my airconditioning ductwork. I too would love to see a picture of a redesigned cabin
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #13
TF Site Team

Can't help with converting the fwd bunks into a V berth because we haven't done that, but we did just add a memory foam mattress topper to our mid-cabin stateroom and added a leg to help support weight on the filler board in that stateroom. We found it on sale at Costco for $115 delivered. It's made a huge difference in bed comfort and stability. The foam might help soften the bed on top of the V berth fiddling.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #14

Can you send details of the leg suport you added?
gezellig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
TF Site Team

Here's a shot of the leg in place.

The bracket is a Perko table leg bracket like this. The bracket design allows the leg to be removed without a large projecting piece to interfere with stowing the filler board below the cushions when desired.

The leg is a piece of oak cut to length and stained to match the mahogany.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Really like the smaller tables. I have redone the V berth in my boat; I'll put some pics together tonight or tomorrow; camera is on the boat. Also installed small hatches in the cabin top above the V berth area; makes an amazing difference. Will try to include those as well.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #17

Looking forward to seeing what the hatches are in the forward bunk area. Thanks
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #18

Aross, Good guess. We are at wycc. Been there for the last 6 years. We have a lot of good friends there and love it.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #19

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
Flywright, I love the hinged table. I have same table. Did you cut, retrofit with piano hinge and stain the inside or did it come that way? If so, what type of hardware do you use for bottom?

MJ, also love the wood floors. I just finished our attic with wood floor laminate and have much left over. I will use it with my floor in salon as well. The one issue I need to resolve is that I have two large hatches and will need to picture frame "trim over" the hatches, as the flooring product I am using is a floating (no pun intended) floor product. I plan on making low profile trim by ripping and routering down oak 1x2 for this.
Restitution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #20
TF Site Team

Sam,

To the best of my knowledge, that table was original equipment and came from the factory hinged like that. It was originally covered in a dark wood grain formica-like product. The PO recovered it and the counters in the light colored formica.