Californian - Repacking Stuffing Box?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raaf

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Annabel Lee
Vessel Make
'79 Californian 34
Hello,

I was doing some inspection after cruising and discovered that my starboard stuffing box is leaking pretty badly - constant trickle, not just a drip. The bilge pump is keeping up with it for the moment, but if that goes I'm in real trouble.

How realistic is it to have this repacked while on the water? Anything unusually tricky with Californians?

Thanks,

Raaf

Should not be a problem. Have the packing ready and cut. Also have a pick or some long screws to get the old packing out. I use some cut PVC like in the photo to push the new packing in.

Attachments

• 50FA2F41-B5B3-44BD-861F-76A85C1A0916.jpg
    50FA2F41-B5B3-44BD-861F-76A85C1A0916.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 29
Most repackings are done while in the water. Even if you can pull out all of the old packing, the amount of water that you can let in is not going to tax your bilge pump for the short time it takes to get new packing arranged and tighten things up.
If you can't get the old stuff out without pulling the shaft, that would be an out of the water job.

Dont panic yet. Either tighten it up a bit or add another ring if necessary. Do not over tighten the packing gland. The final tightening of the gland IMO is best adjusted when the shaft is rotating.

Last edited:
Thanks all - all good info.

I'm going to try to have my mechanic handle it right away. I just wanted to make sure it was fairly common to be done on the water. Thanks for making it clear that it can be done.

I'm open to trying it myself but I think due to the urgency and importance I'll try to get him to handle it.

In the meantime the bilge pump is firing every 20 minutes but it's done in less than 20 seconds so it is still way ahead of the game. But if it fails...doom. I plan on checking it at least once a day until resolved.

Thanks again!

I don’t like to tighten it up when it is rotating, too much danger getting something caught in the rotating shaft. I just tighten it up a little bit at a time and then check while underway. I have my wife at the helm and have her put it in and out of gear while we talk on the phone so we are in good communications.

...and in response to whether I've tried tightening it...

I would say there are signs of a poorly executed prior repair or sealing attempt. There is some sheathing around it and clamps around that. With the rate of water flow as high as it is I fear that I could potentially disrupt whatever it is I'm looking at and make things worse. I think when that thing comes off I'd better be ready for the entire repair.

I have spent the last 6 months undoing "clever" solutions from the prior owner. I removed over 25 nails throughout the boat that were used as hangers for things. Want to hang a hat? No problem, just drive in another ungalvanized nail and you've got a solution. Nails placed in otherwise very nice mahogany. Each stanchion or deck hardware component has at least 3 different types of screw.

It's maddening.

One of the 34 LRC Achilles heals is the shaft logs flinging saltwater on the sides of the fuel tanks. My PO replaced the tanks and changed out the logs to dripless. Others epoxy the tanks to mitigate the problem. Some add spray shields while others live with it.

I have just gone through the same experience on my new-to-me LaBelle 44. Had a good leak going on the port seal however, both the engine room and aft bilge pumps failed. Thankfully caught this about 18 hours after shut down, but nevertheless had to manually pump and/or shop vac about 100l out of two bilge compartments. After initial pump out and fidling with the bellows, etc. got the leak to stop while stationay, but checked while underway and had salt water spraying everthing. Idled the port engine and it stop, and fiddle again, got the leak to stop. Went back into gear after about 2 hours running on the Stbd. This time, no leak.

Have since replaced both bilge pumps (which worked during the survey - must have shorted later when there was more substantial water around the wiring).

I have Longview up on the hard and am advancing my refit work. Going with Tides Marine Sureseals. See https://www.tidesmarine.com/sureseal/overview

Anyone have experience with these shaft seals?

"bellows"? Seems to indicate a dripless shaft seal.
IF you have a healthy flow of 'flushing water', you have a failed shaft seal. Must be replaced. 'Something' has gotten in the sealing surface.

Here's the update...

Had a look this morning - bilge pump kept up with the flow. All good there.

Took a deeper look with my mechanic. One of the nuts is stripped so a tight lock can't be had, and there is pitting on the port driveshaft. Was able to get the leak mostly stopped for the time being.

So... she's coming out of the water to work through everything. Just need to motor South about 10 miles without sinking.

Thanks all.

The nut is easily replaced. Check the threads on male part.
Pitting, that's a bit exciting.
10 miles without sinking? You'll be fine.

Good luck with the repair, let us know how it works out.

Pitting, that's a bit exciting.

Indeed - too much pitting. New $hafts on the way. One week in the yard, turns into two and half.

Here she is on her spa day...

Attachments

• Annabel Lee.jpg
    Annabel Lee.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 19
Just for fun, some photos of progress - bottom paint and propellor tuning.

Attachments

• IMG-2938.jpg
    IMG-2938.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-2948.jpg
    IMG-2948.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom