Californian 30' LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaJosh

I recently purchased my 1978 Californian 30' LRC. While researching this vessel I found it very hard to find information about it. I only found one picture on the internet of another 30LRC. Does anyone have any more info on them?

A-Josh, first of all, Welcome to TF! You found one of the few tabernacles of Californian Trawler info. If you use the search link at the bottom of my post, you'll find several 30 LRC threads.

You have a rare model and one that I've often thought "just might" be trailerable with the proper permits. It's the smaller sibling of my 34 LRC and captures much of the same qualities...fishable, stout, efficient, comfortable and good looking! What more can you ask for?

Post up some pics here so we can see your new pride and joy. Welcome to the Club!

30 lrc

Thank you for the reply. I tried to attach a picture still new to this. I will try to get more pics on here. It has a few things most don't as it has been an Alaska guide boat for twenty years.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 261
Hi. I posted there as a tag-on, but not sure it will find you. Here's what I said.

I’ve had a California 30 LRC with a fly bridge for 10 years. It’s a 1979 with a Perkins 6-354 turbo and her hull number is 17. She spent her first few years in San Francisco and was located in the Dana Point Marina when we found each other. She is named Trawler Trash and divides her time her time between Alamitos Bay (Long Beach Marina) and Cat Harbor (Catalina). So far, we’ve put on about 5,000 miles under her hull.

About 9 years ago, I contacted Mr. Marshall to ask the same question. Off the top, he thought there were about twenty 30’ LRCs made at the Santa Ana plant, which is about 15 miles from where she is now. I do periodic searches to keep an eye on others in the news/on the market and suspect there may be a few more than 20 (perhaps a few by Wellcraft? I haven’t seen anything definitive as to if or how many 30’s Wellcraft produced.).

These are rare boats and scattered about. Two years before I bought mine, I had seen one listed in Marina Del Rey and went to look at her knowing an offer was pending. I knew right away this would be the boat of my retirement (AKA - last boat), which is fine by me as she meets all my needs. I’ve been boating in Southern California all my life and for me, she’s a perfect fit.

There is another 30’ in Alamitos Bay (Bahia Marina) and a few years ago owners removed the fly bridge to get under a Pacific Coast Hwy bridge. Last I checked there’s one for sale in San Diego. I’ve also come across info. about one in Hawaii, a few in Florida, Oregon, Washington, Europe and one in the US was bought and shipped to Australia. In the Monterey area there’s even one with twin engines, but that’s the only one I’ve seen so far.

Right now, Trawler Trash is in the shipyard getting new bottom paint. In the next 6 months to a year I suspect she’ll get a new port fuel tank. Rains were hard this winter and leaks, the source I’ve yet to find, damaged interior paneling above the starboard window.

If you or others have questions about the Californian 30’, please let me know. Deke

Welcome, Lighthd and thanks for the great info on the 30 LRC. Got some pics of Trawler Trash? (Love the name!)

Is your Perkins the 200 hp version? What cruise and WOT speeds do you experience?

I've seen a 30 LRC without the FB for sale on YW...Portland, I think. Good looking boat, but the FB looks even better to me.

Have you ever trailered your boat?

I sure wish we could get Gil Marshall would join TF to share info on the Californians. I bet he's got some great background on the boats.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard guys.

Any additional information you have on the Californians, would help fill in the gaps in the Californian story.

Note the Californian Owners Manual in the sticky notes tabs (above). It's titled 42' Californian, but actually contains information on the other models too. I think there are some references and drawings pertinent to the 30' boats as well.

Interesting looking stern/platform area rig. What's the hp of engine? I could use something akid to that in Chesapeake Bay for striper trolling,get slow enough with Perkins.

How slow do you striper troll on the Chesapeake, David? In the CA Delta we troll shallow divers Yozuris (5-8 ft) at 4-5 mph and deep divers (12-15 ft) at 2.5-3 mph. I used to do it a lot in my 19 Searay and had a blast!

I've tried trawler trolling for stripers but in the Delta I become the boat driver only, not the angler. I won't even try shallow trolling in the narrow confines of our rivers and sloughs with my 34 LRC. And during peak season, the trolling lanes are filled with weekend boaters, so it's not a lot of fun.

I can see bay trolling though...if the boat will slow down enough. On one Perkins 4.236 engine, I think I can get it down to 3.5-4 mph without dragging a chute or trolling valves.

In the meantime, I'll suffer through slipper fishing at anchor for sturgeon.

Q8dsu04_IYer1gt6E-hchoQcDAq2mrdhHq0316-cD7KFfACQOsWr_5tI-HP0Je5JkxrDsGsGo6EibVyDQfH48T5YKZL-unrcsHgFhKfH6qgw1nguxByAfkkUz3P3GS10HkifVJcKvHNZMVa4b6v5tmHdsINEMcdjIsL91BZ_Ftr8P3Geu8hWybj9os0vR5GH3F_WTeE6Eaioq_7VnIUc2gIKMUm1LkN6L9I9B3dX5bU28xYkQb0HL-MQtulhkAQxNKRoapuUeS_c4F3jg_psgktjUHGthzdE7KNwv_8Lhq6nr6IFMO48OHOWiIe3L7aKslk91lJqpAMPPvRVuoYWZ5agmMiEZbakbjuzS-v02S0jSsGxwA7dzpT2sRpk0IlHmIpr1JDwXs-doq3GZkRCBpBY7XeKG6pPAo-WFGY5IYsoCYE-z5rECoEIpeVP7Y7N_Unct1JJ9cSo3dPyuJavNeFIgWL5X1p8ONxckqI6q0xLjhN0f5DSW7F7Mbj3lLZzU9jK4M9PRJTX9f4CTtexoK59JKRL2fhVdYNvNKvSQNKBNe1E0EGhMekjzX3_4n44N7oyDLGo6zyK4oOZKENxtTkVN0Zx0LtWqkAmHL6OUqh1TbV4SzzLUQ=w1135-h638-no

Re: 30' Californian. Ahoy FlyWright. Thanks. I'll send a photo when I can. She has a bimini top and radar arch, which I haven't seen before.

My Perkins is 185 hp with turbo. When I got Trawler Trash her tach and temp gauges were working (now not), but I didn’t trust their accuracy. So, I use digital laser units.

I don’t recall my WOT RPM off the top (maybe 2,900), but I can tell you that my first time of the shipyard with a new bottom, smooth ocean, ½ filled tanks, and before I loaded her up with redundant parts for redundant parts, she got up to 17k gps at WOT. Now, 14k is about max. She’s in the yard now and I’ll see what she can do very soon.

For my first few years I played with speed vs. fuel. I’d typically cruise from Long Beach to Catalina at 8.5k to 9k. Now, I’m really happy going slower (7.5k) and fuel savings are considerable. The other advantage is more time cruising.

One of these days, I’ll need to replace my port fuel tank….not looking forward to that.

I’ve never trailered this boat as it might present a challenge for my Mini Cooper.

Deke

Hi. I posted there as a tag-on, but not sure it will find you. Here's what I said.

I’ve had a California 30 LRC with a fly bridge for 10 years. It’s a 1979 with a Perkins 6-354 turbo and her hull number is 17. She spent her first few years in San Francisco and was located in the Dana Point Marina when we found each other. She is named Trawler Trash and divides her time her time between Alamitos Bay (Long Beach Marina) and Cat Harbor (Catalina). So far, we’ve put on about 5,000 miles under her hull.

About 9 years ago, I contacted Mr. Marshall to ask the same question. Off the top, he thought there were about twenty 30’ LRCs made at the Santa Ana plant, which is about 15 miles from where she is now. I do periodic searches to keep an eye on others in the news/on the market and suspect there may be a few more than 20 (perhaps a few by Wellcraft? I haven’t seen anything definitive as to if or how many 30’s Wellcraft produced.).

These are rare boats and scattered about. Two years before I bought mine, I had seen one listed in Marina Del Rey and went to look at her knowing an offer was pending. I knew right away this would be the boat of my retirement (AKA - last boat), which is fine by me as she meets all my needs. I’ve been boating in Southern California all my life and for me, she’s a perfect fit.

There is another 30’ in Alamitos Bay (Bahia Marina) and a few years ago owners removed the fly bridge to get under a Pacific Coast Hwy bridge. Last I checked there’s one for sale in San Diego. I’ve also come across info. about one in Hawaii, a few in Florida, Oregon, Washington, Europe and one in the US was bought and shipped to Australia. In the Monterey area there’s even one with twin engines, but that’s the only one I’ve seen so far.

Right now, Trawler Trash is in the shipyard getting new bottom paint. In the next 6 months to a year I suspect she’ll get a new port fuel tank. Rains were hard this winter and leaks, the source I’ve yet to find, damaged interior paneling above the starboard window.

If you or others have questions about the Californian 30’, please let me know. Deke

Thank you for the information. I hope to see a pic of your trawler. I posted a few of mine. Have a great day.

Thank you for the information. I hope to see a pic of your trawler. I posted a few of mine. Have a great day.

A few thoughts about your reply. The leak above the windows on the starboard side is that near the helm or down below? There is a hand rail on some used to get around the sides that if pulled to hard can let water in. As for the fuel tank look into military grade bladders. The previous owner of mine installed 180 gals of bladder storage. Most leaks are simple calk fixes.
Josh

We are in Quesnel BC, Canada and own a Wellcraft 30’ Californian 1982 since 2012. It is papered to say 29’ 6”, not sure if thats true. I will try again to get a picture on here but so far it won’t load so will try to edit it on our laptop when I get a chance. Husband added a 3 foot swim grid to the back with a very handy fish cleaning station. We cruise at about 7-8 k for great fuel economy. Has a 165 Perkins diesel Turbo.

30 Californian newbie

I'm looking at a Californian 30 tomorrow, looks like it came here from Newport, Oregon. This was probably covered in a previous post so I will review, but there seems to be pretty scarce info/photos of these. Thanks for having me in the group.

I'm looking at a Californian 30 tomorrow, looks like it came here from Newport, Oregon. This was probably covered in a previous post so I will review, but there seems to be pretty scarce info/photos of these. Thanks for having me in the group.

Welcome aboard. Good luck with the showing. Hope it goes well.

Californian 30’

1982 30’ Californian Wellcraft hopefully the picture shows up.
Owned since 2012, in Quesnel, BC. Have really enjoyed this boat in Bella Coola, looking forward to next year.

Attachments

• E05D64B4-253A-4F15-BAC0-045C4F82F841.jpeg
    E05D64B4-253A-4F15-BAC0-045C4F82F841.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Just picked this up

Ok I took the plunge. She has been sitting a year. Has a volvo-penta AD41P engine. I'm in the process of cleaning and figuring out how everything works. Thanks everyone for being such a cool forum. I will post pics of the progress!

Attachments

• 20201012_151440.jpg
    20201012_151440.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 34
My FIL owned one of the first 5 off the line, can’t remember exactly which one, but always on the lookout for where it ended up.

Ok I took the plunge. She has been sitting a year. Has a volvo-penta AD41P engine. I'm in the process of cleaning and figuring out how everything works. Thanks everyone for being such a cool forum. I will post pics of the progress!

Here is a pic of 30-01

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 29
30-01

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 20
And the culprit. Be sure to check your wet exhaust system regularly!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 17
The name of the boat when my dad bought it and still is, No Ship

Here are a few before and after shots of the cockpit as I cleaned it, and I got the Bimini up. Took it down and found a cover for it. The boat is loving the extra attention. In the process of fixing up the v berth, I've gotten the ratty fabric out of there that was on the inside of the hull, sanded, washed and tsp/acetone washed the whole v berth to get it ready for some paint. Including inside the storage compartments. So far, I have also gotten a ton of junk off the boat and new batteries installed. Still can't figure out how to get the ignition panel to power up so I haven't been able to try the engine yet. Hoping to contact a previous owner and pick their brain... Has anyone else reconfigured the access hatches above the engine so that everything is more accessible? I'm a big guy and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get down in there and do maintenance unless I cut the floor (or suckered one of my smaller friends to get down there). I have been looking online for ideas but no luck. I also picked up a Dickinson Newport bulkhead heater to install next to the stairwell. Pretty excited about that with winter coming. I really want to take it out and do some deer hunting. Got the registration switched over, so its getting real. ;) if anyone has any suggestions i would love to hear them. Sorry for the long post, I hope its ok.

Attachments

• 20201023_155936.jpg
    20201023_155936.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20201014_175959.jpg
    20201014_175959.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201021_104736.jpg
    20201021_104736.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20201021_145534.jpg
    20201021_145534.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 22
I got the 30, it has been fun catching up on some of the deferred maintenance of the previous owners. I'm still really excited though as I work my way down the list. I have it winterized, got the engine, and electrical, and plumbing systems all online.
Found some damage to the interior due to leaky window seals. Was able to temporarily fix the leaks, and tear out the rotted interior panels. Also renovating the floor of the wheel house to provide easier access to the engine area. Should have the new sub floor and floor installed the next week or so. Got materials for making a cover for this winter.
Grateful to have found this forum, so much good info about trawlers and even more grateful there is info on this specific make and model of trawler.

Thanks!

JB

1982 30’ Californian Wellcraft hopefully the picture shows up.
Owned since 2012, in Quesnel, BC. Have really enjoyed this boat in Bella Coola, looking forward to next year.
We have made it through waves from every direction coming over us for 3 hours. It rolls hard, and at times I am sure I was looking straight to the bottom. Hubby is a great captain, the boat must have incredible ballast because it just kept popping back up thankfully. We have much more experience since then and God willing, will NEVER wind up in that again!
We spent 32 beautiful days out from Bella Coola BC last summer with friends.
This is the 3rd boat we owned, but enjoy this one a lot and will stay with it. Slow, but great fuel economy with the Perkins diesel.

Back
Top Bottom