Old 01-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #21

City: The Villages
Wet Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
You should check everything. You could have a leak in a hose, connector or even the exhaust mixer. This is critical stuff. If you don't know the condition you should take some time to inspect it all.

Ken
Yes, we will be checking everything...thanks
jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #22

Wet Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
To spell it out, if exhaust gas is escaping into the boat,the danger is carbon monoxide poisoning. My mechanic was very concerned the day we spotted an exhaust gas leak associated with the turbocharger, pure luck the gas could be seen as sunlight penetrated the right area of the ER. An ex Navy and submarine mechanic, he warned of the dangers, adding young children were at special risk. You definitely need to resolve it.
Odd how water can be the indicator. I had water drops for which I could not find a cause, eventually tracing it to a high mounted genset exhaust hose defect.
Funny thing is we noticed the water before the odor. The exhaust gases seem to stay in the engine room...(that we can smell), but the water is there every time we run the engines.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkxtreme View Post
Thanks Capt Jon, I will inspect the clamps tomorrow. Are there rubber hoses connected to the exhaust muffler then run through the fiberglass tube or do they just use the fiberglass tube.
FYI... it's a Carver Californian that I believe was built in the Hatteras plant during the Carver transition. She's a 48ft, 3 stateroom, aft cabin boat. Engines are smack in the middle of the boat with access through a set of stairs in the galley.
No mufflers on our boat. Just the solid fiberglass tubes that went all the way to the transom. The tube was glassed to the transom.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #24

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Get an endoscope. I was thinking aft shower sump but you said that was eliminated. How about a slow leak from aft shower supply lines.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #25

I wonder if this issues was ever resolved. I have a 1989 Carver Californian that is 48 f. I too get water in that area only after running the engines, and sometimes get exhaust fumes in the engine room. I suspected a leak in the exhaust tube but I had it inspected by two reputable local boat yards who claimed they found nothing wrong. One ex-detroit mechanic told me that on windy days exhaust fumes can be blown back into the boat through the exhaust then through the turbo or through the large vents on the side of the hull that open directly into the engine room. I discovered this to be true when my marina neighbor was grilling fish and I got his fish odor into the engine room. The other thing I discovered was that I can get water in two bilge areas if I am in rough seas. The water actually comes in through the bilge pump out through hull if a wave hits in that area. My through hulls are only about 8-10 inches above the water line. We proved this when sitting still and a fast boat went by throwing a huge wake. My boat didn't roll fast enough and water slapped the side of the boat right where the through hulls are located. Presto... water in the bilge which was perfectly dry prior to that time.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:25 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
jkxtreme,check if your bilge pump hose/outlet has a one way valve which no longer works.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:41 AM   #27

check valves in bilge lines

I have four bilge pumps that pump water directly overboard and none have check valves. I was planning to install check valves, and even bought them, but a couple people told me that was a bad idea. I think I'm going to install them to stop the water from coming in.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I would first try to reroute the bilge pump hose to a higher elevation before dropping to the through-hull. This rise may prevent the sea water from entering the bilge.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #29
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
I have the Californian 55 CPMY with three staterooms. I have chased a couple fresh water leaks. One was under the port side wooden panel that my A/C unit sits on. Now I have a very tiny one forward of that. I can wetness but can't feel anything wet on the hoses.

I just replaced the Mid fuel tank from under the master bed. This tank is completely enclosed between the stringers with no outlet to the other bilges. I believe the fresh water tanks leaked as they are on top of the fuel tank. Those water tanks had been replaced before I bought her so I assume they neglected to dry the fuel tank area. So, with my aluminum fuel tank sitting in water for years, it finally perforated from the outside in. Tank replacement job was just completed in March. in the engine room centerline bilge pump, that area was accumulating fresh water to a small degree. I was stinky like it had been there a long time. I have only owned the boat since last summer. Sorry I got off track a little. I have access in several places in the master, hallway and third stateroom to see the shower sumps, shaft logs, strut attachments. We had to cut a new one centerline in the third stateroom to attach fuel hoses to the new tank. It ends up at the forward end of the bilge area that encloses the Mid fuel tank. That tank was 265 gallons and 150" long and extended from under my headboard in the master to under the floor in the third stateroom. Yours would probably be shorter. Keep water away from the fuel tank is the msg here.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Greenville KY
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities II
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' ACMY
Well my water intrusion mystery is finally solved in case anyone is interested.
I knew I had a little seepage from my starboard side rudder shaft, but you could see it enter a limber hole in the stringer in the aft of the boat and there was a straight shot through to the aft sump. There is a sump pump in the aft but hardly no water ever accumulates there so I thought, the rudder wasn't leaking much.
As it turns out, the stringer is hollow. The water from the rudder shaft, entered the limber hole and was running forward in the hollow stringer evidently to another limber hole midship accumulating under the mid cabin where the centerline fuel tank is in a sealed tub area. I guess to capture the fuel in case of a tank rupture. To find the leak, I poured colored water where the rudder shaft was seeping and it showed up under my mid-cabin. Tightened the rudder shaft, problem solved. Thanks everyone for your input. I hope this may help someone else. I did not know the stringer was hollow and I had no idea it could travel forward like it did. Thanks, Charlie
Bare Necessities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare Necessities View Post
Well my water intrusion mystery is finally solved in case anyone is interested.
I knew I had a little seepage from my starboard side rudder shaft, but you could see it enter a limber hole in the stringer in the aft of the boat and there was a straight shot through to the aft sump. There is a sump pump in the aft but hardly no water ever accumulates there so I thought, the rudder wasn't leaking much.
As it turns out, the stringer is hollow. The water from the rudder shaft, entered the limber hole and was running forward in the hollow stringer evidently to another limber hole midship accumulating under the mid cabin where the centerline fuel tank is in a sealed tub area. I guess to capture the fuel in case of a tank rupture. To find the leak, I poured colored water where the rudder shaft was seeping and it showed up under my mid-cabin. Tightened the rudder shaft, problem solved. Thanks everyone for your input. I hope this may help someone else. I did not know the stringer was hollow and I had no idea it could travel forward like it did. Thanks, Charlie
I assumed that the water that accumulated in bilge that contains the centerline fuel tank came from leaky fresh water tanks which are above it under the aft bed. Aquarius is a bit bow heavy so you can't see the water by looking in the access port under the bed. My mid fuel tank rotted out from sitting in water. We only found the water/fuel there when we had the boat out on the hard. Maybe it was from a rudder post leak instead of the water tank. I'll need to check that out to be sure more water is not accumulating.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #32
Veteran Member

In my case, I dismissed the rudder as a source because there was a limber hole right there and you could look under the bed and see a very small amount in the bilge. I dismissed it because in my mind it could not get to the midship problem. My centerline tank is actually two narrow long tanks that run from under the aft bed forward to under the washer and dryer. They are joined together at the bottom of each of them via fuel line to equalize the fuel. If yours is like mine, in the bottom of the tv closet is a small hatch that you can see the bottom of the boat and the fuel line connections. I was looking for the source of an odor and found the water. Not knowing that the tanks was sitting in the tub for fuel rupture safety, I couldn't figure out why that water did not run to the aft sump pump. Now I know. Take some blue windshield washer fluid or colored RV antifreeze and pour in at the rudder on one side at a time and see where it ends up. It may surprise you and end up under the TV closet. Reach out to me anytime you have a question that I may help you with. I have been chasing this water leak 4 years. I have found and fixed water leaks along the way that I thought was my problem, which was a problem but not that one. I am going to the boat today to add bilge cleaner and water, take her out to let it slosh around then pump her dry hopefully for the last time. I have been using a drill operated pump to keep that area pumped out, if I didn't I would get the odor back. Your fresh water tank may be ok. Pour some colored water in and watch it.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:08 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare Necessities View Post
In my case, I dismissed the rudder as a source because there was a limber hole right there and you could look under the bed and see a very small amount in the bilge. I dismissed it because in my mind it could not get to the midship problem. My centerline tank is actually two narrow long tanks that run from under the aft bed forward to under the washer and dryer. They are joined together at the bottom of each of them via fuel line to equalize the fuel. If yours is like mine, in the bottom of the tv closet is a small hatch that you can see the bottom of the boat and the fuel line connections. I was looking for the source of an odor and found the water. Not knowing that the tanks was sitting in the tub for fuel rupture safety, I couldn't figure out why that water did not run to the aft sump pump. Now I know. Take some blue windshield washer fluid or colored RV antifreeze and pour in at the rudder on one side at a time and see where it ends up. It may surprise you and end up under the TV closet. Reach out to me anytime you have a question that I may help you with. I have been chasing this water leak 4 years. I have found and fixed water leaks along the way that I thought was my problem, which was a problem but not that one. I am going to the boat today to add bilge cleaner and water, take her out to let it slosh around then pump her dry hopefully for the last time. I have been using a drill operated pump to keep that area pumped out, if I didn't I would get the odor back. Your fresh water tank may be ok. Pour some colored water in and watch it.
My fresh water tank was replaced just before I bought the boat.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I am happy to report, after pouring bilge cleaner in and flooding the bilge with fresh water several times to clean it, my odor is gone and my leak is fixed. The area remains dry. I will in the future, check the rudder shafts often. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions during my post.

Tags
californian, carver, leak, water