Old 05-29-2021, 10:21 AM   #1

City: Edmonds
Dinghy Davits

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend the best way to store a tender on Californian 34 LRC? I am interested in buying one. Have looked at several which either don’t have davits on the swim platform or appear to have had them removed. I have looked at models from 1979 to 1984.

Thank!
John
PNW Wannabe
Pnwwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We had Seawise davits on a previous boat and loved them. Very easy to launch and recover the dinghy. They are not cheap but they are very good quality. No affiliation just a satisfied customer.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Www.weaverindustries.com
Old 05-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
We had this on our 48' CPMY Californian. I would recommend the 6:1 system for larger dinghies. Our RIB with engine weighed 400 lbs.
https://dinghycaddy.com
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:29 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnwwannabe View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend the best way to store a tender on Californian 34 LRC? I am interested in buying one. Have looked at several which either don’t have davits on the swim platform or appear to have had them removed. I have looked at models from 1979 to 1984.

Thank!
John
PNW Wannabe
I`m no fan of dinghy stored on swimstep, but we had to with the current boat due to lack of FB space. That said, the ease and speed of launch and retrieval is very welcome,and encourages use.
We bought an unused unlaunched 2nd hand inflatable which had pads professionally glued on.Ceredi brand, made in Italy, so we bought Ceredi davits to match, Weaver being incompatible. No issues with the Ceredi product, well worth considering.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:29 AM   #6

Thanks all

It sounds like a few good systems out there for swim step. I appreciate the responses! My primary concern was whether there are any structural or operational reasons not to do it on this particular model of boat (34’ LRC). Doesn’t sound like anyone is aware of this. I will look up some of the recommended systems. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:56 AM   #7
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
The usual generic advice applies regarding the flip-up style of mounts for dinghies (weaver, etc).

If the platform can handle the weight of adults on it then it ought to be able to handle the weight of a dinghy on those kinds of clips. That is, an inflatable dinghy alone (not RIB), without the motor still attached (which presents it's own storage issues). Using a 4hp with an in-built gas tank is a common choice, or going with an electric like a Torqeedo.

The shoe on the platform may or may not benefit from a backing plate or other bit of reinforcement to help secure it and spread the load a bit.

If you're not used to gluing things onto a dinghy it's worth paying someone that is. Get it wrong and it's an unending hassle dealing with things peeling up.

Then there's the issues with rear sight lines and potential issues with boat name visibility (some paint/apply the name on the bottom of the dinghy or on a cover).
Old 06-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #8

City: Seal Beach, California
Vessel Name: Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Model: 1981 34 Californian LRC
I have Weaver Davits for my inflatable and an outboard bracket on the swimstep where I store my 6HP 4stroke Nissan (Tohatsu) outboard. The weight has not been an issue in my experience. The transom (like the hull) of the 34LRC is thick solid fiberglass and seems to be up the task.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Bustlebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:52 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
This is how I load mine. It's a cheap Costco $600 10'10"/3.3M dink tipped upon the swimstep with a $400 Garhauer 150# capacity lifting davit. I also have a 110# Honda 15 on the fixed transom mount.

I used to use a large netting to secure the dink but caught too many mermaids so I changed to lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Dink snd Motor 02242021.jpg   FlyWright net.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:10 PM   #10

Good to know. Thanks. Can’t say I would be that upset about catching mermaids. First mate might give me a hard time though!
Old 06-13-2021, 08:40 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnwwannabe View Post
Good to know. Thanks. Can’t say I would be that upset about catching mermaids. First mate might give me a hard time though!
Be careful!! That boat you've got is a babe magnet!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
californian 34, davits, tender. dinghy