1990 Californian 45 Wiring Diagram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkinter

Veteran Member
I'm trying to locate some wiring diagrams for my 45'. The supplied Carver manuals are WORTHLESS and tech support at Carver claims that all Californian documentation from the Hattaras factory didn't make it's way back to Carver when Calif. production stopped. The main dealer for Carver can't help.
Surely some diagrams must exist out there.

The manual is the only place I know that has a wiring diagram. What wiring are you working on or need knowledge about? Maybe someone on the site can help.

Yea it's a real crap show when it comes to the supplied wiring diagram. I have just ended up have to trace wiring.

The manual I have is a Carver edition and has NO wiring diagrams.
My immediate concern was tracking a voltage drop in the line to my spot light.
I ended up using an IR temp scanner to check the many plugs in the line. I found a hot one and eliminated it which resulted in better light perf. but I suspect others that I can't readily scan, or even locate.

My 1989 had no diagram. It took an inverter installer a week to sort out the AC side to see what was common with what.

I have what I believe is a 1989 or 88 Carver manual that was on my 1986 48MY. It does have two wiring diagrams that at first I did not believe to be relevant to my boat. However after many hours of tracing wires there are many similarities. I know that the 91 55CPMY is very different. How many battery banks do you have and and do the batteries go to each engine or to a battery switch. Check out my earlier thread. Good luck.

Most of the time, an electrician will not have a diagram of a boat he is working on. His experience and training will help him to figure out what goes where. Remember, the wiring is usually color coded so if it's blue or pink at the source, it should be the same color at the load.

I have an 8D battery for each engine and 6 301 gulf cart batteries for the house bank.
Each battery is connected to the various charging means by a 5 stage separator. The engine batteries can be charged by each engine or the MasterVolt 3 way charger.
The house bank is charged by either alternator and the MasterVolt Combi inverter/charger. Pretty sure you won't find this in the Carver books, but what I'm looking for is the house/inst/engine wiring diagrams.

Do you mean Wellcraft instead of Hatteras? I don't think Hatteras made Californians.

Marshall, Carver, Wellcraft and Navigator (nee Marshall) had hands building in the Californian line.

The Californians were made at the Hatteras plant from 1988-1991.

The opening summary of this file covers the ownership history of Californian quite well. One bit that's missing is that in the 80's Genmar, a company owned by Erwin Jacobs, owned Wellcraft, Carver, Californian, Hatteras, Larson, Lund and MANY other boat brands. Hence, the sharing of resources was simply good business. If you Google Genmar, as well as Erwin Jacobs you'll find an interesting history of the boat manufacturing business.

I have a 1990 Californian MY (Carver) that I purchased back in March. I have a pretty complete set of Owner's Manuals and a complete set of wiring diagrams. I will be glad to send you a copy of the wiring diagrams if you sill shoot me a PM with your contact information. I am away from my office until after the first of the year. I could scan the wiring diagrams when I get back in the office if that is better.
Mitchell

Aft fuel tank

Creekcrab,
Does your manual show the large, aft tank? I have gauge issues and need to investigate the fuel sender and have the tank polished.
I'd like some idea of the layout before I remove the bed and water tank.

Not sure. My fuel gauges do not work either. I will get the wiring diagrams to you later this week. We have been away for several days.

Unless Carver made some major changes the fuel tank is on top on the water tank. On my 1986 48' MY the water tank is made of glass and runs from about 12" forward of the transon to entrance to the master stateroom. The fuel tank sending unit is located at the head of the master bed. Move the mattress and you should find two access panels. My main tank runs from midway in the engine room to midway in the middle stateroom.

Thanks, but in mine the water tank is over the fuel tank and the water sender is located on the strbd side at the head of the bed. Already been into that tank to clean it and repair the float sender.

What did you have to do to repair the sender on the water tank. Mine indicates full all the time. Thanks.

Water tank sender

The sender is under the bed on the strbd side at the head of the bed. There's an access panel to the sender.
It's a tight squeeze to remove the screws on the sender but do-able. Also remove a screwed on ledge board for the access panel. You can then pull,flex,bend, etc the sender to remove it.
Mine was simply frozen with lime deposits. I cleaned it with Barnicle Buster and a soft stainless brush, re-adjusted the swivel mech. and re-assembled it.
It worked for 15 minutes and then jammed. I have to pull it again and re-adjust the gear train. Pretty simple really.
This is a good time to flush the deposits out of the tank as well.
I removed the tank drain hose and let the tank dump into the rear bilge. This was good for other purposes. I found that both the bilge pump inlet, as well as the thru-hull were somewhat clogged.
I reached into the tank with a sanitary hose and sprayed everything I could reach to clean it. Got a lot but still I installed a high efficiency filter in my water pump inlet.

The Californians were made at the Hatteras plant from 1988-1991.

Incorrect.
A new plant was put together in NC and key people from Hatteras, Viking andother name brands were hired to staff it.

Electrical diagrams

I have a 1990 Californian MY (Carver) that I purchased back in March. I have a pretty complete set of Owner's Manuals and a complete set of wiring diagrams. I will be glad to send you a copy of the wiring diagrams if you sill shoot me a PM with your contact information. I am away from my office until after the first of the year. I could scan the wiring diagrams when I get back in the office if that is better.
Mitchell

If you think those diagrams would be applicable to a 1989 48ft Carver Californian, I would love to have a set. Is there a way to make that happen?

If you think those diagrams would be applicable to a 1989 48ft Carver Californian, I would love to have a set. Is there a way to make that happen?

I sure would like to have a set of those as well. We are living abbard in our 45 cali. from 92 and i am trying to figure out the wiring.

I have a '90 45' and had to change the aft tank sending unit. it is under the cabinets directly in from the the bed. I had to cut a hole in the floor to get to it. I could send you a pic or measurements if you'd like.

Let me know,
Steve
stevedlinton@gmail.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom