1989 48 foot flybridge motor yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quicksilver55

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48 MY
Does anyone know the actual bridge clearance for this boat top of radar arch only? no radar or any additions to the arch. I found an old spec sheet which shows 16-foot 3 inch. It would be great if that's true because it would clear all the Chicago river bridges.

Get a tape measure and measure it. Factory specs may not be accurate for your boat. :)

I had planned on it but thought I would see if anyone else had the same vessel and see what they had measured. We are still on stands for the winter here so I will just be patient and measure it when I have it in the water. Thanks

I would not trust any other boat’s measurement. I would measure yours so you can be sure the measurement is accurate.

One of the first things I did aboard was a mast height measurement. It ain't hard.

The way I calculate total height of a boat.

One way or another: Get actual height of relatively unloaded boat in calm water... then add minimum of 12" [1 foot] as that's boat's need of opening. Unexpected waves and wakes and miss measurements posted on over heads do happen.

Last edited:
I asked a stupid question I had planned on it but was looking at some other things and just wondered if anyone had actually already measured to see how close it was to the factory spec. I will make sure that i measure it myself once the boat is put in the water.

Different boat but just for what it's worth, my factory specs were off by about a foot (too low, in other words, boat was about 11" taller than the specs). The advice you're getting about not putting much faith in specs is good advice, at least in my experience.

If you have a tall piling or building next to your slip it is easy to measure. I took a 12’ straight edge and taped a Sharpie to it. Using a level hold it at the highest place on the boat and put a mark on the piling with the Sharpie. Then use tape measure from the mark to the water.

Back
Top Bottom