Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #1
Newbie
 
City: Marathon
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 4
1975 Marshall Californian 42 LRC

Just picked her up last week.
Looking for information on her.

From what I have seen the 42 LRC was built in 1976. This one is a 1975, was Carver involved in the early Marshall vessels. Title has / Carver on it
.
Miss Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 13,323
Welcome aboard.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
Newbie
 
City: Marathon
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 4
Thanks CD
Miss Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,027
It’s my understanding that Carver didn’t buy into Californian until 1986. I’m sure others will join this thread.
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 13,323
We almost bought a 42 Californian back in 2000. They have a nice layout. I also donít think Carver was involved that far back but who knows what some clerk at DMV could have done to the title and registration.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
Newbie
 
City: Marathon
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We almost bought a 42 Californian back in 2000. They have a nice layout. I also donít think Carver was involved that far back but who knows what some clerk at DMV could have done to the title and registration.
Yes that is probably the case.
Saw in another thread that it was
resold to Carver.
There are experts out here. She does have a great layout.
Miss Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #7
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 13,323
What engines does it have? We made an offer on one in Seattle but the owner wouldnít negotiate at all and the boat needed quite a bit of work so we moved on.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:49 PM   #8
Newbie
 
City: Marathon
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
What engines does it have? We made an offer on one in Seattle but the owner wouldnít negotiate at all and the boat needed quite a bit of work so we moved on.
She has twin 185 Perkins 6 354 turbos
Miss Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 13,323
Those should run forever. Have fun with it.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #10
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,560
Welcome aboard, Miss Tee/Ollie B! To the best of my knowledge, Wellcraft was not involved in the construction of Californians as early as 1975 or 1977. My understanding is that Wellcraft wasn't involved in production until about 1980.

Some may have been built by Wellcraft on the west coast (I'm speculating here...) but most, if not all, of their builds were somewhere on the east coast. The company was sold to Wellcraft in 1982 according to this article and Marshall bought it back 3 years later. Carver bought the Californian line in 1987 and in late 1989, moved all builds to Rocky Point, North Carolina according to the article. I'm not sure how accurate those dates are, though. The Californian name was bought by Marshall/Navigator Boats years later and resurrected in the Navigator Californian 39 line.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...39&postcount=2

I had the opportunity to speak with Gil Marshall, son of Jule Marshall, when he was running Navigator Boats. Jule was on speaker phone at the next desk listening in and agreeing with what Gil had to say. In 1977, Gil was a 'bilge rat' working on my 1977 boat at his Dad's company, Marshall Boats. He said he was the kid who laid the wires and lines needed to plumb and wire the boats in those days. He also stated that since they really didn't know all the ins and outs of fiberglass layup, that these early hulls were built extra thick, "like tanks" he said.

Over the years of the company being sold then repurchased a couple of times, they lost track of all the records of the Hull ID Numbers (HIN) which changed format through the years with Wellcraft and Carver. He emphatically stated that one sure way to know if your boat was built in California by Marshall Boats is the first 3 letters of the HIN. All Marshall Boats Californians start with the letters "JCM" and stand for Jule Marshall built in California.

For example, My HIN is JCM034010277.

JCM= Jule Marshall in California
034= 34 ft LOA...(this was later truncated to 2 digits as no boats were built over 99 ft so 3 digits were not needed.)
01=Hull #1
02=(my guess is...) February build
77= build year is 1977.

I don't have a data plate on my vessel to verify hull #1 but of all the Californians I've come across, the 2 (or 3) digits following the model #/LOA represent the build number in that model's lineup. Also, I've never seen a HIN pattern like mine with the numbers immediately preceding the model year (last 2 digits) that was higher that 12 so this seems to support the theory of the build month followed by the build year.

There are many variations in HIN in other models built by Wellcraft and Carver, but the build year is typically easy to discern near the end of the HIN. Some variations have letters inserted into the middle of the HIN which may represent build number or month.

If you'll post up your HIN and a photo of your brass vessel number plate, we'll try to help you interpret what it means.

You're gonna LOVE that boat and those engines!! I have the Perkins 4.236s which are normally aspirated, 4-cylinder versions of the 6.354. They are very reliable, easy to work on and efficient.

Welcome to the club!!
__________________
My boat is my ark. It's my mobile treehouse and my floating fishing cabin. It's my retreat and my respite. Everyday I thank God I have a boat! -Al FJB

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #11
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 13,323
How about some photos of your new baby?
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #12
Guru
 
Portage_Bay's Avatar
 
City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,482
A data point to confuse things. I have an '83 42 LRC with the HIN JCM42218M83A. The first 3 letters JCM would indicate she's a Jule Marshall California build. The dates would indicate she should be a Wellcraft build. I'm not looking to contradict you, I'm just confused.

I will agree, they are built like tanks. I had a hole drilled in the bottom for a new thru hull. It was almost 1 1/4" thick solid layup. The side where I had another hole drilled was 3/4" solid layup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Welcome aboard, Miss Tee/Ollie B! To the best of my knowledge, Wellcraft was not involved in the construction of Californians as early as 1975 or 1977. My understanding is that Wellcraft wasn't involved in production until about 1980.



Some may have been built by Wellcraft on the west coast (I'm speculating here...) but most, if not all, of their builds were somewhere on the east coast. The company was sold to Wellcraft in 1982 according to this article and Marshall bought it back 3 years later. Carver bought the Californian line in 1987 and in late 1989, moved all builds to Rocky Point, North Carolina according to the article. I'm not sure how accurate those dates are, though. The Californian name was bought by Marshall/Navigator Boats years later and resurrected in the Navigator Californian 39 line.



https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...39&postcount=2



I had the opportunity to speak with Gil Marshall, son of Jule Marshall, when he was running Navigator Boats. Jule was on speaker phone at the next desk listening in and agreeing with what Gil had to say. In 1977, Gil was a 'bilge rat' working on my 1977 boat at his Dad's company, Marshall Boats. He said he was the kid who laid the wires and lines needed to plumb and wire the boats in those days. He also stated that since they really didn't know all the ins and outs of fiberglass layup, that these early hulls were built extra thick, "like tanks" he said.



Over the years of the company being sold then repurchased a couple of times, they lost track of all the records of the Hull ID Numbers (HIN) which changed format through the years with Wellcraft and Carver. He emphatically stated that one sure way to know if your boat was built in California by Marshall Boats is the first 3 letters of the HIN. All Marshall Boats Californians start with the letters "JCM" and stand for Jule Marshall built in California.



For example, My HIN is JCM034010277.



JCM= Jule Marshall in California

034= 34 ft LOA...(this was later truncated to 2 digits as no boats were built over 99 ft so 3 digits were not needed.)

01=Hull #1

02=(my guess is...) February build

77= build year is 1977.



I don't have a data plate on my vessel to verify hull #1 but of all the Californians I've come across, the 2 (or 3) digits following the model #/LOA represent the build number in that model's lineup. Also, I've never seen a HIN pattern like mine with the numbers immediately preceding the model year (last 2 digits) that was higher that 12 so this seems to support the theory of the build month followed by the build year.



There are many variations in HIN in other models built by Wellcraft and Carver, but the build year is typically easy to discern near the end of the HIN. Some variations have letters inserted into the middle of the HIN which may represent build number or month.



If you'll post up your HIN and a photo of your brass vessel number plate, we'll try to help you interpret what it means.



You're gonna LOVE that boat and those engines!! I have the Perkins 4.236s which are normally aspirated, 4-cylinder versions of the 6.354. They are very reliable, easy to work on and efficient.



Welcome to the club!!
__________________
Some things are worth doing simply because they are worth doing.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #13
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
A data point to confuse things. I have an '83 42 LRC with the HIN JCM42218M83A. The first 3 letters JCM would indicate she's a Jule Marshall California build. The dates would indicate she should be a Wellcraft build. I'm not looking to contradict you, I'm just confused.

I will agree, they are built like tanks. I had a hole drilled in the bottom for a new thru hull. It was almost 1 1/4" thick solid layup. The side where I had another hole drilled was 3/4" solid layup.
That matches what I have suspected but cannot prove...that Wellcraft models were built in CA with Marshall before being moved east. It appears that they worked cooperatively with Marshall to learn the boats and the process while producing the product with the existing workforce.

I haven't cut into my hull yet but my foredeck plugs were about 2.5-3" thick with quality ply core when I installed a windlass.

I bet your boat is a 42, built in CA with Marshall, hull #218, built in Jan 1983. Am I close?
__________________
My boat is my ark. It's my mobile treehouse and my floating fishing cabin. It's my retreat and my respite. Everyday I thank God I have a boat! -Al FJB

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #14
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,560
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...cle-18502.html
__________________
My boat is my ark. It's my mobile treehouse and my floating fishing cabin. It's my retreat and my respite. Everyday I thank God I have a boat! -Al FJB

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #15
Guru
 
Portage_Bay's Avatar
 
City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That matches what I have suspected but cannot prove...that Wellcraft models were built in CA with Marshall before being moved east. It appears that they worked cooperatively with Marshall to learn the boats and the process while producing the product with the existing workforce.



I haven't cut into my hull yet but my foredeck plugs were about 2.5-3" thick with quality ply core when I installed a windlass.



I bet your boat is a 42, built in CA with Marshall, hull #218, built in Jan 1983. Am I close?
The only things I can confirm are she's a 42 built in 83. Hull #218 and January make sense.
__________________
Some things are worth doing simply because they are worth doing.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012