Island Gypsy News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate that story... like running nails across a chalkboard when I read it... :banghead: Knowing the history of your boat is arguably the most important part of maintenance.
Unfortunately that`s a piece of history not even the person inserting the drill bit would necessarily realize or know, we discovered it while removing the wet wood and checking the drain tube with a fine screwdriver.Owners of older IGs carry a piece of wire and regularly run it down the drain holes in the wooden windows.

I'm just about to tackle some of the dreaded wood rot around a starboard front window. Not quite sure how to approach this.
I think I have three options;
1. take off all the moulding and make up new wood surrounds
2. Strip out the rot in the existing windows and apply copious quantities of plastic filler and sand it back.
3. Have it done professionally, the estimate I have for this is about $800 per window.

Regarding the drain holes, all our copper sleeves have gone, with the exception of one. Think I had better look at that as well.

Oh, the joy of owning an older boat.

Last edited:
Andy,
Some of the fwd side cabin windows, the most aft ones, may taper in multiple directions, which might make DIY tougher. Which window is it? Is it just the outside frame,is the inner one is ok?
One my experience $800 would be a bargain.
I don`t have any copper sleeves in the external drains, maybe I did once, but the internal ones apparently do because they drain through wood. With the outside ones I think the trick is to drill a big hole, fill it with epoxy, then drill a smaller hole in the epoxy, so wood and water don`t meet.
If you bog it instead of replacing wood, as a shorter term measure, Everdure it first.
If you DIY it, and paint in Toplac instead of 2 pack,it removes one difficulty. A good bead of Sika at the joint between the window frame and the cabin side, filling the joined area, before painting, is a good idea.

Thanks for the advice Bruce, I did also think about the aluminium solution but the consensus at the club is that the end result doesn't look that good and devalues the boat.
There have been two IG's here where the PO 's had gone down the aluminium path only for the new owners to take them out and replace with the traditional wood windows.

Apparently, there is one 'aluminium' IG at Akuna Bay, I might go down & have a look.I know the broker pretty well.

I had new aluminium(using Aussie/English spelling and pronunciation)made in Qld. to replace the side aluminium window one piece unit on my Masters 34. It was remarkably cheap, fitted it came in around 4K I think, its a while back. But that was like for like. Surprised it would look bad enough to go back to wood. In fairness, a PO of my boat did not look after the windows well.
Mike Gaffikin at Akuna Bay is a character, every word uttered is to sell, but that`s his role.
Mine being a Europa, only the fwd cabin windows are fully exposed,and giving trouble, yours are all exposed, a lot to replace, maybe repair one or 2 at a time, you`ll get faster as you go, and you have your partner group to help. Three of mine looked bad but in fact only needed pieces scarfed in and a general going over for smaller defects. No point replacing a whole frame if it`s not necessary.

Ig 32

Actually my first post on this forum, after having been a silent observer for some time.
I have made an offer on an IG 32 that I found on line, not too far from where we live. It has been for sale for some time, but not well promoted by the small brokerage involved.
The boat is a 1985 "standard" trawler style, by which I mean, not a Europa. It has twin 90 hp Lehmans, with 3100 hours, said to be in well maintained condition. I would much rather a single engine, but....
In the past, but some years ago, we owned, lived aboard and cruised a '80 GB 42, which we loved. BUT, I am aware of some of the issues of this type and vintage of vessel. Fuel tanks especially! And windows! And...
With much less demands to made of this boat than we had of the GB, the 32 seems like an ideal size and configuration to suit our current needs for cruising in our somewhat protected Westcoast waters.
From my Web searches there seems to be precious few of these boats available, whether 32 or larger. Along the path of the search, I have seen little that does not speak highly, or at least respectfully, of the breed.
I would be appreciative of any feedback re the IG line, and specifically the 32.
Some of the recommendations about what to look for I have already had a chance to read on this forum, but I'm sure there's more to consider.
Hope to hear from some of you.
Cheers,
Peter H

Welcome aboard proyham! I see you are on beautiful Vancouver Isl, we were there in May.
IMO the IG 32 with 80 or 90 Lehman twins is a great boat and economical to run. Check the engines have heat exchangers, some ran raw water through the engine.
Many IG issues are touched on in this thread.
Check for osmosis, and the quality of very likely past repairs.
Check the sealing at the "eyebrow" above the windscreen, you can get separation, allowing water entry under wind pressure.
Being non Europa, all your windows(except the windscreen which is protected and should be covered) are exposed and as you know, an expensive weak point.
Good luck, keep us posted.

G'day Bruce, (A line from Monty Python?).
Thanks for your reply and info.
How cool to hear from you as Sydney is/was my home town, born and raised there!
Wandered away back in the '70s and ended up here in BC. I was, back then, a member of the St. George Motorboat club as well as the Georges River Sailing club, so where are you located?
Hope you had a good time around Van Isle and got to do some boating. It's a great area, but much of the best is only accessible by boat or float plane. I was fortunate to have had my own salmon troller back when there was no shortage of fish. Sad to say, not so now.
My current situation has missus and me cruising in a 40' diesel pusher land yacht during winter months, southern California and Arizona mostly, but have covered much of the USA and some of Mexico.
I do miss the boating and see this as our next phase as the shine wares off the RV lifestyle.
My offer on the IG 32 is still out there, so fingers crossed. I know that it is a bit of a project boat, but not sure just how much of one. I'm not looking for a complete rebuild project. Been there, done that.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers

We could call you Bruce too, to avoid confusion.
We live in Riverview(Lane Cove area) on the northside, but keep the boat at Brooklyn on the Hawkesbury.
Liked VI a lot, nice place.Got there initially (well, I`d been there years ago) on a cruise ship returning from Alaska, later took the Victoria ferry back to see more,the Gardens etc,and esp to see some TFers we previously met in Sydney.
I once looked at an IG32, gelcoat seemed to have been cleaned with hydrochloric acid. Didn`t buy it, but liked the layout a lot, it had twin Lehman 80s, which I think would be ideal, with the handling plus of twins. (Let`s not restart the single vs twins debate).
The IG build quality is good and solid. Hull will be 1" thick or so( it needs to be for the osmosis). Wiring should be good too. I think you are onto the issues. Let us know how it goes.

Check the sealing at the "eyebrow" above the windscreen, you can get separation, allowing water entry under wind pressure.

Hi Bruce,

A slight divergence not a hijack of the thread - I have a leak above the left front corner and I can`t see where its coming from - can you do a Pauline Hanson on the above please. It might be my problem. Are you talking about right up under the "brow" just above the top of the front windows, or the wooden trim at the edge. Where is the join exactly?

cheers

George

We could call you Bruce too, to avoid confusion.
We live in Riverview(Lane Cove area) on the northside, but keep the boat at Brooklyn on the Hawkesbury.
Liked VI a lot, nice place.Got there initially (well, I`d been there years ago) on a cruise ship returning from Alaska, later took the Victoria ferry back to see more,the Gardens etc,and esp to see some TFers we previously met in Sydney.
I once looked at an IG32, gelcoat seemed to have been cleaned with hydrochloric acid. Didn`t buy it, but liked the layout a lot, it had twin Lehman 80s, which I think would be ideal, with the handling plus of twins. (Let`s not restart the single vs twins debate).
The IG build quality is good and solid. Hull will be 1" thick or so( it needs to be for the osmosis). Wiring should be good too. I think you are onto the issues. Let us know how it goes.

Hi Bruce (#1),
Thanks for info, much appreciated.
No response as yet to my offer.
Think I will keep looking on this (CDN) side of the border, but might end up leaving it until next year.
Cheers,
Peter

Hi Bruce...I have a leak above the left front corner and I can`t see where its coming from.... Are you talking about right up under the "brow" just above the top of the front windows, or the wooden trim at the edge. Where is the join exactly?

cheers

George
Not underneath the FB extension over the windscreen. At the foremost leading edge of the FB extension there is a moulding which covers a join. On my boat the join had opened on the port side and water was getting in. The moulding had to be removed, the join reworked and glassed, and a new wooden moulding made and fitted.

Not underneath the FB extension over the windscreen. At the foremost leading edge of the FB extension there is a moulding which covers a join. On my boat the join had opened on the port side and water was getting in. The moulding had to be removed, the join reworked and glassed, and a new wooden moulding made and fitted.

Thanks Bruce - makes sense - after the boat arrived in Brisbane (by truck) the compartment at the front of the fly bridge had a lot of water in it. Apparently they had a lot of rain during the trip. If that joint had a problem then it makes sense that rain water would be forced into the failed joint then into the compartment - driving through rain at 80 - 90km would be my definition of driving rain!! (also a sad pun).

Any idea how this joint is formed?

George

Any idea how this joint is formed?George
I`m struggling, I think it was two flat timbers one laid on top of the other,presumably glued/laminated together, with a moulding the width of the 2 covering the leading edge.
In my case the boat was on a swing mooring. Rain being forced in under head to wind pressure is not dissimilar to being towed on a trailer from Melbourne to Brisbane.
I think it was a difficult repair, gluing glassing grinding etc.

Hi All,
Further details on the IG32 I made the offer on showed some serious issues, fortunately provided in the form of photos from the broker. Saved me a waisted trip. Even at the price (never responded to, couldn't find the owner!) it would not have been a good deal, at least for me.
I appreciate the comments and feedback. Will keep looking and perhaps cast the net a little further afield.
Cheers,
Peter (Alias Bruce #2)

Peter, it sounds like the broker played it commendably straight by providing pics which disclosed the issues. I still think the IG32 is a good boat, but many have some age with all that carries, unless someone spends the $ on maintenance.

My 36 does not have an outside number either. I do have a number glassed in on the Starboard side midship about the water line

my 89 IG has a hull number glassed on inside of the Starboard side in the engine room

New IG 32 owner

Hello, I am the new and proud owner of an Island Gypsy 32. I'm also new to this forum. I've only put about 17 hours on her so far including a cruise through San Francisco Bay and home to Sacramento. Still getting to know her. She needs paint above the deck (had hull painted recently) and I'm working on a short list of "must-do" items handed down by my insurance underwriter (example: propane sensor and solenoid cutoff). Cheers, Tom

Hello, I am the new and proud owner of an Island Gypsy 32. I'm also new to this forum. I've only put about 17 hours on her so far including a cruise through San Francisco Bay and home to Sacramento. Still getting to know her. She needs paint above the deck (had hull painted recently) and I'm working on a short list of "must-do" items handed down by my insurance underwriter (example: propane sensor and solenoid cutoff). Cheers, Tom

Congrats Tom. You will love her

Photos ?
:)

I, too, purchased an '84 IG32 hull #45 in March. Maintenance was poorly lacking but appears to be a solid machine with a SP135 Lehman. I brought it up the West coast of Florida from Marco to Pensacola.

Sounds like we have near identical boats. I’m still getting to know “River Roost,” but so far she’s been a great boat. Here is a photo of our refinished transom after renaming. IMG_1739.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom