Old 02-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #21

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Destiny
Vessel Model: 1998 Island Gypsy Europa
RE: Island Gypsy hull construction

I did complete new a/c and generator installation this past spring. I installed the 5.5KW Westerbeke (diesel). As of today I have 92 hours on her all problem free. I selected the area in the lazarette centered just aft of the water tank. I know the 5.5 sounds like a bit of overkill, I originally thought I would install 2 a/c units, 1 in salon and 1 in stateroom (this Texas heat can be unbearable at times). After installing the 12,000 BTU Mermaid unit we found by placing a small fan in the companion way pulling cool air into the stateroom we are soon pulling up a blanket even in the hot August nights.
Dan and Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #22

Thanks,

Is it pretty quiet in the lazarette?* I was thinking it would be quieter at the rear of the the engine compartment.
FlyinLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

And didn't you lose easy access to the lazarette and storage space?
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386

On changing the depthsounder transducer, the hull on our 1981 IG36 showed as solid fibreglass, about 1 inch thick, allowing the (now repaired) osmosis plenty of material to penetrate.

Our genset is at the aft end of the ER; it has the factory sound shield,which may help if space issues lead to locating a genset in the lazarette. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

And to think that I gave up a wood boat (rot? just replace all or part of a plank) for the dubious joy of dealing with osmosis in fibreglass.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #26

We found the genset is pleasantly quiet in it's location. I had anticipated installation of a sound shield but found it to be unnecessary, the primary use of the gen. is to power the a/c during the night and while in the stateroom the noise is not much more than a hum, (makes that "white noise" possibly helping the sleep). The location mainly was chosen as the only resort, aft of my engine is a third 8D battery bank and an onboard fuel polishing system. Access into the lazarette is not hindered, it sits forward of the hatch opening and I can drop down and move either port or starboard but when standing in the hatchway trying to load/remove things it does create some restrictions.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #27

Thanks for the info.
Tomorrow I'm having a mechanic who has installed a lot of generators take a look at the boat and recommend a location.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
And to think that I gave up a wood boat (rot? just replace all or part of a plank) for the dubious joy of dealing with osmosis in fibreglass.
*Oh no,you can still get timber rot, 2 expensive timber window frames remade and rotting timber framing replaced while the boat was up for osmosis, etc work. Aluminium (I know,you spell it aluminum) window frames have a lot going for them, can degrade,but relatively cheap to remake, did it on a previous boat.

But I still like my IG. Looking forward to a cruise to Broken Bay/ Hawkesbury River system in March. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #29

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
Ours is solid glass below the waterline. Seems to be about 3/4" to 7/8" thick just aft of midships and slightly less a bit further aft than that.
*David, my 1998 IG has flybridge supports aft on both starboard and port sides, your 2001 vessel does not appear to have these. Have you removed these or perhaps the later models did not incorporate them?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #30

Pictures would be great.* What did you use to lower it into the engine room?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Dan and Lori wrote:
*David, my 1998 IG has flybridge supports aft on both starboard and port sides, your 2001 vessel does not appear to have these. Have you removed these or perhaps the later models did not incorporate them?

*The later models did not seem to have them.

Here's 2003:

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1089716&aBID=115492[/img]
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #32

Island Gypsy hull construction

Quote:
[img]../../download.spark?ID=1092512&aBID=115492[/img][img]../../download.spark?ID=1092513&aBID=115492[/img][img]../../download.spark?ID=1092514&aBID=115492[/img][img]../../download.spark?ID=1092515&aBID=115492[/img][img]../../download.spark?ID=1092516&aBID=115492[/img][img]../../download.spark?ID=1092517&aBID=115492[/img][img]../../download.spark?ID=1092518&aBID=115492[/img]FlyinLow wrote:
Pictures would be great.* What did you use to lower it into the engine room?

-- Edited by Dan and Lori on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 11:00:53 AM
Old 03-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #33

To get the gen. down into the lazarette I built an "A" frame from 4X4 lumber and attached a chainfall to lower it. I built a slide extending from the dock and thru the transom door to get the gen. onboard. Before I even purchased this generator I obtained the specifications and built a plywood box equal in size to the overall dimensions of the generator and did a trial run lowering it into the lazarette and into position just to be absolutely sure it would fit.

For the A/C install, the unit mounted inside the setee starboard of the dinette table. I moved the liquor cabinet out far enough to allow ductwork to rise behind it. I built the distribution head with 5 outlets blowing in all directions in the salon. This allowed the full volume of discharge air to flow only a little more than 6 feet thru a full 6 inch duct. We get a large volume of cool air into the salon and gain a temperature differential about 20 to 22 deg. I am currently working to add solar screens to the side windows hoping for even greater efficiency. We use a small fan at night to pull the cool air into the stateroom and that works very well, no longer considering adding a second A/C.

This spring when our humidity is lower I will try to select a matching stain and complete the staining and varnish on the new teak cabinetwork. Does anybody know of a close match for the wood stain inside the 1998 IG?
Also the wine rack was added for two reasons, one it's a wine rack, second it provides structural support for the A/C distribution head.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Very nice cabinetry work for the modifications. What is the specie of wood? Assume it is veneered ????????ply, and ????????solid stock.
*Used teak veneer 1/2 in. plywood and all other including mouldings of solid teak.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #35

Yes, I completed all the woodwork myself as well as the full generator installation. I have a woodshop that rivals many cabinet shops. The trouble with cabinet work on a vessel is that you almost have to throw out the variables of "plumb, level and square", everything resides on angles. I'm a big "do it yourself'er", almost nothing happens onboard unless I do it. Thanks for the tip on the stain finish.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #36
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Quote:
Dan and Lori wrote:
Yes, I completed all the woodwork myself as well as the full generator installation. I have a woodshop that rivals many cabinet shops. The trouble with cabinet work on a vessel is that you almost have to throw out the variables of "plumb, level and square", everything resides on angles. I'm a big "do it yourself'er", almost nothing happens onboard unless I do it. Thanks for the tip on the stain finish.
*Dan, Nice work on the genny installation and the ac cabinetry.* I know what you mean about throwing out standard carpentry variables.

I have had great success by making templates out of luan strips for counters or shelves,* bulkheads and most parts I made out of wood for the boat.

Keep up the good work.* I will be thinking of your project as I slide my own generator aboard this spring.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote