Island Gypsy Europa 36 decks and fuel tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NVgsd

Has anyone had to replace/remove tanks and deck teak? How bad was it? How common is it on these boats?

Decks yes, tanks no, though the tops needed rust treatment.
You may find the material in the real deck sandwich under the decorative teak is not wood but foam. As early as 1981. I got a glimpse of mine around the cockpit lazarette, and it was. But a 1979 boat had teak offcut blocks.
I would still class the fix as bad, ie expensive, getting towards 30KAUD. But I replaced teak with teak, except fwd at the bow section.
If you search old threads you should find plenty of information. Disquieting, but still information.
My fuel and water tanks were still serviceable at 39 years old. Pretty good.

I have replaced the starboard fuel tank on our Island Gypsy Europa '94. Had to cut it apart with a reciprocating saw to remove. The new tank could only be 100 gal versus 125 in order to get it in past our single Cummins engine. I came close to replacing my teak decks until I realized that wasn't where the water was coming from. I am really glad because I love the teak decks and they look great. Good luck.
Noel H.
1994 Island Gypsy 32 "Telesis"

I came close to replacing my teak decks until I realized that wasn't where the water was coming from. I am really glad because I love the teak decks and they look great. Good luck.
Noel H.
1994 Island Gypsy 32 "Telesis"

Out of interest where was the water coming from, if not the decks.

For the OP, we replaced our main deck with like for like. Although the replacement was 12mm teak and I believe the original deck was 16mm. As Bruce mentioned some boats had a teak block sandwich and some foam,mine had the (mushy)'teak blocks' .

We did all the grunt work ourselves, and had a teak guy supply and lay the deck. Cost us about $12K from memory.It's not too bad a job as long as your previous owner had not stuck a part of the deck down with epoxy! That about triples the workload, on this I speak from experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom