Old 05-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Well now that is one fine looking vessel right there. Massive congratulations to the new crew of Sojourn! May she ever be less expensive than you expect.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:11 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Not trying to waylay this thread. Boating restrictions? What is the purpose? If you go out for 15 days, come back, clean and health to your dock, the 15 day quarantine starts again once you touch dirt. It's a never ending circle.
That's not how it is here in Oz Old Dan. We now have our restrictions lifted, our Covid figures are so flat, such as to allow trips of up to 150kms, and boat trips are also unrestricted, with no quarantine requirements when one returns.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:35 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Glad you guys have a handle on the Covid, wish we did...
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:58 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Well done Bruce, I see you are staying in the extended IG family. The lower helm station looks very flamilar indeed. No external teak ,lucky you.

I will keep an eye out for you on the water(when we are finally allowed out). Where do you plan to stow the dingy?

Cheers,

Andy
A lot of the boat is very familiar. Tiny bits of teak at the port and stbd running lights(grrrr) will get painted a light brown color.
You nailed the issue: stowing the dinghy. Near crew discord there. A new 2.6M Island Inflatable (made in Korea, not that other place that politically claims $600 Grange tastes like vinegar)). Last one lasted 10 years,but doesn`t fit anywhere. Either a frame cantilevered off the aft FB + a crane, or on the swimstep/duckboard. We got some neat kayak frames on Ebay, $173 delivered, to go on the FB rails.

We were out Friday to Sunday today. First trip, we got restricted just as it arrived from Melbourne. We were going out anyway, but Friday night recreational boating, up to 10 onboard, overnights permitted, was restored. The clue is, do not get complacent, the beast is there, skulking in the shadows, despite sterling work in other parts to give it a good home there. Pinta Bay was good, heaps of all night small fishing boats, but just 3 National Parks moorings.

The most noticeable comparison is the handling. It absolutely handles better, in a seaway off Barrenjoey, and in wakes. Maybe the extra 2ft 6" of hull, it feels more an offshore boat, less jumpy and reactive to waves and seas. The Cummins 210s need a bit more rpm to steer in reverse,did some practice checks before the first reverse park. Could be smaller 4 blade props, I think it`s a tad underpropped.
It lacks some storage space in comparison,but it`s hard to beat 25 less years and some considerable comfort improvements. I expect it`s my last boat, and I think we`re going to like it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:48 AM   #25
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
[QUOTE=BruceK;879969]

We were out Friday to Sunday today. First trip, we got restricted just as it arrived from Melbourne. We were going out anyway, but Friday night recreational boating, up to 10 onboard, overnights permitted, was restored.

Bruce, I didn't realise that overnight stays on board were allowed again. We got an email from the club last Thursday telling us that overnighters were still a no no. Dying to go out to try out the new BBQ and Suzuki 15hp on the RIB.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:03 AM   #26
Hospitality Officer

Bruce, you are quite right, just got an email from the club. Overnight boating is back on.Great news.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #27
Guru

An Aussie member posted about his Integrity 35, positively except for noise from seas impacting the swimstep. I noticed that too, took a while to find the source.
Andy, I`m coming round to "dinghy on swimstep". Frame and crane on FB could cost $8K and you need a trained monkey onboard to climb on the frame and deal with the dinghy attachments. Our new/secondhand dinghy from an abandoned project has dinghy brackets already glued on, so I just need the brackets to fix to the swimstep.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #28
Hospitality Officer

Yep, that would be the easiest for launching and stowing. What about the outboard?
Old 05-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Yep, that would be the easiest for launching and stowing. What about the outboard?
The outboard was tethered in the cockpit on the IG;on the Integrity the way smaller lazarette is better separated from the ER, I might keep it there. I usually keep spare fuel on deck in the cockpit too, abundant caution from acting for people injured in an exploding petrol/gas boat.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #30
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
That's not how it is here in Oz Old Dan. We now have our restrictions lifted, our Covid figures are so flat, such as to allow trips of up to 150kms, and boat trips are also unrestricted, with no quarantine requirements when one returns.
Here in Florida, I have not heard of any boating restrictions but, I am not planning to go anywhere.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:17 PM   #31
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The outboard was tethered in the cockpit on the IG;on the Integrity the way smaller lazarette is better separated from the ER, I might keep it there. I usually keep spare fuel on deck in the cockpit too, abundant caution from acting for people injured in an exploding petrol/gas boat.
Bruce, there is a contraption, (sorry the name escapes me), that will allow the outboard to rotate as the dink is pulled up on it's side attached to the duckboard mounted snap davits, so it then hangs vertically, and can actually stay on the dink. An alternative which is much cheaper, and if the motor is as light say as my Honda 2.3hp, is to just mount it by its own clamps onto a swing-out motor mount on the rail. See photos. Sorry about the side-on pic, but best seen in the top one anyway, jutting out from the vertical rail support. Might well fit the rail on your boat, as I see in your pics the aft rail is supported by vertical tube-shaped supports. But works well. The real issue is the weight of the motor. I could only locate one example of the swivelling transom mounts I described, which is a simple version, as seen here - not sure where from though - looked like an overseas website, but they are available somewhere here in Aus, I've seen several. The one I'm thinking of actually automatically activates the swivel action as the dinghy comes up.
https://www.polymarine.com/swivel-ou...nting-bracket/
Attached Thumbnails
143C919B-43A7-40AE-BC8A-31442C71E9C1_1_105_c.jpeg   7CE12259-3AE0-4792-8B65-04534250DB86.jpg  
Old 05-17-2020, 11:02 PM   #32
Guru

Good thoughts Peter. I`ve 2 motors, a Tohatsu 5hp around 20kg,a Merc 3.3 around 12kg. The snap davits are good for around 55kg. The load is on the swimstep, I`m guessing the davit things need a backing plate. The Merc is light to remove/ refit;the Tohatsu, better motor but heavier. I`ve seen pics of the engine swivel too,it + motor lifts the overall weight, the Island Inflatable 2.6M dinghy itself is about 30kg
Old 05-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #33
Hospitality Officer

Whatever system you settle on will need to be simple to operate otherwise you will end up looking for excuses not to launch the RIB.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Whatever system you settle on will need to be simple to operate otherwise you will end up looking for excuses not to launch the RIB.
I agree. We were quite reluctant once we hauled it up to the FB. Just ordered a set of Ceredi snap davits which I`m assured fit the pads already glued to the new dinghy. There is access from the lazarette into the transom to through bolt the davits. Trick will be getting the davits in the right place, hoping they come with instructions well translated from Italian.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:43 AM   #35
Hospitality Officer

Just looking at your avatar I notice you have a BBQ off the stern on the port side. Will the RIB when on the davits interfere with using the BBQ? I really like the size of the swim step.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:13 AM   #36
TF Site Team

Quote:
Trick will be getting the davits in the right place, hoping they come with instructions well translated from Italian.
Actually Bruce, this part should be a cinch. I had Weaver Snap Davits glued to my dinghy by professionals, but maybe because the hypalon of the dinghy was so old, the glue just would not stick for long, not sure why though.

You are lucky, as yours are still on the dinghy, suggesting well-bedded. The mounting of the spring-loaded mounts on the duck-board, (using the downunder term here), should therefore be easy. Just choose where you want the dinghy to be when up on its side, put the mounts onto the dinghy parts, swing it up manually, (with help is good), then mark out where the holes should go - lower the dinghy out of the way, and go for it. Ask me how I know... The platform mounts for me were the easy bit.

As an aside, when my dinghy-mounted clips kept coming adrift, I eventually gave up trying to re-glue them on, and just used to clip the grab rope along the side of the dinghy into the platform mounts, and it still swung up ok, and then just rested on the side of the dinghy, held by the side rope. But I was taking the motor off because the 2.3hp Honda was so light.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:44 AM   #37

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Congrats on the new boat Bruce, she looks a beauty. Good news about restrictions being lifted also.
I also bought an Island Inflatable, the smaller 2.3, for a previous, smaller boat, on recommendations from other owners for up to ten years of hard use, so you should feel quite confident about the dinghy.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #38
Guru

It`s our second "Island Inflatables" 2.6M dinghy. Last one did well.Picked it up unused second hand for $600. It floats and works.
I don`t think the pads have done any work, I know they were professionally fitted. Hope the positioning works, it was set up for a Bayliner.
The bbq could be a problem but the step is quite deep. It`s electric,I prefer LPG, if it doesn`t play nicely with the dinghy it goes.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #39
TF Site Team

Quote:
It`s our second "Island Inflatables" 2.6M dinghy. Last one did well.Picked it up unused second hand for $600. It floats and works.
I don`t think the pads have done any work, I know they were professionally fitted. Hope the positioning works, it was set up for a Bayliner.
The bbq could be a problem but the step is quite deep. It`s electric,I prefer LPG, if it doesn`t play nicely with the dinghy it goes.
Bruce, set up the platform clips as near to the outer edge as possible, just so there is adequate meat for strength, as you don't want to have to haul the dink, with motor on especially, any further than you have to to get them linked.

With this sort of set-up, removing the motor after the dink is locked on is the safest and easiest way. With a fairly wide swim-step this should mean that if you use a rigid prop connection to the boat rail area, once the dink is vertical or just beyond, there should be plenty of room for the BBQ.

However, if you decided to do away with the electric one, instead of another quite large gas-fired one, that still needs to be fixed on a rail mount, I can heartily recommend one of these. One set of heat beads and some fire-starter fragments and you're away for a whole meal.

Cobb Australia

Heck, there's now even a gas one - well I never...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...cobb&FORM=IGRE

We loved our Cobb, and it can be moved around and set up on virtually any surface, it is so well insulated.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:22 AM   #40
Guru

Peter, we had a Magma which used solid fuel, great bbq. Once I get the davits I`ll start setting out. With a secured line attached to the davit.
BTW, this may help someone, we found a rails attachment ss dinghy rack on ebay, $173 delivered, from Gold Coast. Bought one, liked it, bought another. All fitted and secure, on the FB. Takes a kayak or 3 SUPs.