IG Instrument Panel Lighting Control Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Our 1981 IG36 (Kong & Halvorsen) instument panel lights activate by the main Nav Lights switch/circuit breaker (top switch on the 12v board). The panel lights are on though the anchor light is all you need. A 2.5 watt LED replaced the 25w anchor bulb but the little instrument bulbs 2 watts minimum each stay on, wasting about 18 or 20amps overnight.

Solution: Anchored waiting for the stunning Sydney Harbour 2011/12 NYE fireworks, we briefly suspend drinking to fit a switch controlling the panel lights. The panel easily lifts out for wiring access, but the surround is too thick for a standard toggle switch shaft so the switch sits inside while we get a longer one.

I can`t know how many IGs are wired this way but if you want to conserve battery overnight it is worth checking.

BruceK

-- Edited by BruceK on Sunday 1st of January 2012 06:48:40 PM

Our 1983 32' IG has the panel lights connected to the running light switch next to the Nav Light breaker.

This way the panel is only illuminated when the running lights are on.

However the stereo breaker operates the light on top of the 12volt breakers,* so when ever the stereo is on this light is also drawing juice, night or day.**

Any one else have a setup like this on their IG?

See Pic.**** JohnP

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 138
JohnP wrote:
Our 1983 32' IG has the panel lights connected to the running light switch next to the Nav Light breaker.

This way the panel is only illuminated when the running lights are on.
*Your wiring makes sense, ours didn`t. We also have the 3 pull switches for nav/anchor/spreader lights.I`ll probably leave the panel on its own switch as it`s done,but copying yours may the better idea. BruceK

JohnP wrote:
*the stereo breaker operates the light on top of the 12volt breakers,* so when ever the stereo is on this light is also drawing juice.

See Pic.**** JohnP
*John, We lack the luxury of a light in the switch cupboard. Could you fit an LED replacement? BruceK

BruceK wrote:
*John, We lack the luxury of a light in the switch cupboard. Could you fit an LED replacement? BruceK
**********Bruce, Thats a good idea. I wonder if the light is original design or an add on.* Hard to believe it has not burned out for years.

JohnP

BruceK wrote:JohnP wrote:
*the stereo breaker operates the light on top of the 12volt breakers,* so when ever the stereo is on this light is also drawing juice.

See Pic.**** JohnP

*Same with our boat, it would be good to have a light illuminating the switch board.

Bruce I heard some scuttle butt that the small LED's acting as an anchor light may not comply with maritime regs, something about the light needed to be seen for a certain number of sea miles, or some such thing.

Not to hijack the thread, but our boat has the bilge switch wired through the electrical board. This means that you can accidently turn the bige pumps*off if you are not careful. I have wired the switch so that they can't be turned off at the panel. Anyone else have this set up?

Andy G wrote
*small LED's acting as an anchor light may not comply with maritime regs,

our boat has the bilge switch wired through the electrical board, you can accidently turn the bige pumps*off if you are not careful.

*Hi Andy,

Our bilge pump switch/breaker is on the board too; I try to remember* " power off, bilge pump on" on leaving. How about taping over it in the "on"position?

Our anchor light is the 18 LED tower $ 39.95 at Whitworths! Bright as most at the NYE fireworks, in a year no one has hit us. Doubt it`s legal for nav lights. BruceK

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom