Old 08-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Out of the Blue
Vessel Model: Halverson 36
Brass Step Plates

Some time ago I inquired about getting hold of some brass step plates for my IG. I received a picture from somebody on the list and had a model made via C&C. Found a foundry in my town that managed to cast me a number of plates which I installed on my boat and they look great. If anyone is in need of some, let me know.
ootb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ootb View Post
Some time ago I inquired about getting hold of some brass step plates for my IG. I received a picture from somebody on the list and had a model made via C&C. Found a foundry in my town that managed to cast me a number of plates which I installed on my boat and they look great. If anyone is in need of some, let me know.
That might have been me. Happy it worked out.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #3

it did indeed and thank you very much
Old 08-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Just out of curiosity, are the plates IG used brass or bronze? Grand Banks used bronze plates until they went to the silver (stainless, plated?) plates they use today.

The founder of the Grand Banks owners forum contracted with a foundery to cast a bunch of the GB cap rail step plates for forum members who needed them. He even had the foundery make the curved one that goes on the aft cap rail, which is the one we needed. I forget the cost: it wasn't cheap but it was reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails
Step Plate.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Actually, ours are "silver". Not sure if they are SS or plated with...?. They are definitely a casting.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Is it uniquely Halvorsen? Got a picture, dimensions and a price? I could use something similar at my aft rail gate.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I saw an "Island Gypsy" step plate recently on a 32(looked like an early 2000 model) at Dolphin Marina in Brooklyn. I`d expect plates to be brand specific, but a check at a hardware store might reveal a generic brass step plate. I could use one where we step over the transom (no gate).
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I plan on using 4 or 5 1/4" X 1/4" or slightly larger strips about 20" long on the cap strip where we come aboard. Got lots of spare teak.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #9

I wanted to stay in keeping with what Halverson did in the past. Somebody had removed the plates and I just had some made based on the originals. Having the plated would not look right. They have a nice patina right now and that is the way they will stay.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #10

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: (1983) 49' Grand Banks Heritage Classic
Grand Banks Brass Plates

I'd love to get the information on how to buy the Brass plates that go on the rails / gunnels -

How do I get them?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 08-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

I assume you're talking about the step plates that are mounted on the cap rails at the bording gates. As I described in an early post, a number of years ago the founder of the Grand Banks owners forum arranged to have new step plates made by a foundry for those members who wanted to order them. The original plates are bronze, by the way, not brass.

So far as I know these step plates are no longer available new and have not been for many years. The broker who found our boat for us gave us a pair of new ones when we acquired the boat as a thank you for our business., but this was in 1998.

What we didn't have was the curved step plate that goes on the transom caprail at the transom gate. So we ordered one of those from the GB forum founder when he was having the new bronze plates made for the members who'd ordered them. Both the straight and curved plates were made using original plates for the patterns so they are identical to the originals.

But this was a one-time run at the foundry and only the number ordered were made.

The plates used on newer GBs are chrome-plated metal of some sort..

So as far as I know, unless one wants to contract with a foundry to have some custom made the best bet is to try to find some off an old GB that's being salvaged or parted out.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #12

Brass / Grand Banks Plates

I saw in your post that you had some made and that if anyone else needed them you had a resource or they could make more.

I am very interested in getting them for the Amazing Grace. Please let me know what I need to do.

Joe
Old 08-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

If you're talking about my comment on what was done on the GB owners forum some years ago, I was simply one of the forum members who ordered a bronze step plate when the fellow who founded the forum made arrangements to have them custom cast by a foundry. I did not make the arrangements for the casting myself, nor do I know what foundry did the casting or where they are located.

The newer step plates used on newer GBs are chrome or nickel plated. If one wants a set of those they may be available new from Grand Banks Llc. in Malaysia.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesubmariner View Post
I saw in your post that you had some made and that if anyone else needed them you had a resource or they could make more.

I am very interested in getting them for the Amazing Grace. Please let me know what I need to do.

Joe
Joe, someone is selling a bronze step plate on eBay. Search, "Grand Banks bronze plate"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
FYI Joe. You might want to reconsider posting your phone number and email address in the open on a public forum.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
FYI Joe. You might want to reconsider posting your phone number and email address in the open on a public forum.

You're right - brain lapse. Since there is a moderator and control I thought it to be more secure among the group.

For the Moderator - if you can remove the phone number and e-mail that would be great. If not - won't be on future posts. Thanks!

Thank you!
Old 06-08-2018, 01:07 AM   #17

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Gypsy Diver
Vessel Model: 36 foot Island Gypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ootb View Post
I know I am replying to a post that is four years old, but I would be interested in the information you have about Island Gypsy cap rail plates. Thanks.

Jerry Reid
San Diego, CA
Gypsy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote