Dog on boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JILLBROWN

Vessel Name
WARLOCK
Vessel Make
1981 ISLAND GYPSY 32
We have a IG 34" and a new dog who's never cruised before. I need a way to keep him in the v-bunk or salon while we dock or have an on-board emergency. I'm looking for a narrow dog gate to keep him down in the v-bunk. My husband wants to remove the stairs to the v-bunk, but I can imagine myself forgetting that and flying down the stairs. I have a friend that did that - not a good thing to happen!
Any ideas?

Warlock
Whidbey Island WA

How about a leash that has a dog on one end and is fastened to something solid on the other end?

How about a leash that has a dog on one end and is fastened to something solid on the other end?

Door, Leash and Kennel are the three ways I know to contain a pet.

Greetings,
Mr. JB. Doesn't your v-berth have a door/doors on it? Other than behind a door, Mr. BB's suggestions are the only option. Crate training any dog is a good idea in any case.

Last edited:
When our dog was first contained alone aboard, and not yet at ease with being left there, we tried a leash to something solid. She chewed through the leash, even though she had never done anything like that at home. After a few weeks on board, and several times being left there alone, she was fine without any containment other than the cabin door, just as she is at home and in the truck.

I'd suggest a crate, until the dog gets more used to the boat as another "home".

Go the crate method. And use it daily. The dog will grow to take comfort in the crate. If you close him behind a door be prepared to have the inside of the door all scratched and destroyed as he trys to escape. And he will try.

Go the crate method. And use it daily. The dog will grow to take comfort in the crate. If you close him behind a door be prepared to have the inside of the door all scratched and destroyed as he trys to escape. And he will try.

:thumb::thumb:

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431378814.384358.jpg

I think I will try this collapsable dog crate.

Crate training is the way to go. When the dog gets use to the crate, it will seem a secure, comfortable place for him. Locking him in a room opens the possibility of scratching or biting damage. For travelling we use a canvas collapsible crate. Give your dog a treat every time he goes in the crate, and he will go in with no problems. Just be sure he has water.

When the dog gets use to the crate, it will seem a secure, comfortable place for him.

:thumb::thumb:

We have spent many years involved with the rehabilitation of abused dogs. One of the first steps we take is crate training. It is easy to do and in our experience is preferred for many reasons both by the dogs and us.

The biggest mistake made by most with crates is to use them for disciplinary reasons. They sleep through the night in their unlocked crate only letting themselves out when told to do so or when they feel compelled to investigate some noise. We only latch the door when it's for their protection or when traveling.

Once the dog recognizes the crate as their sanctuary they will look forward to using it. Our dogs wag their tails and put themselves inside when we say the word kennel.

If the dog ever needs to spend time at the vet ours has told us crate trained dogs spend an average of 1-2 days less time in the hospital owing to lack of stress.

When we had a dog we used a crate. The dog loved it. People would come over and say "how can you put her in there". They couldn't fathom that the dog likes it and to her it was her doghouse.

Crate is most definitely the way to go.

Attachments

• crate.jpg
    crate.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 129
  • crate2.jpg
    crate2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 142
  • crate3.jpg
    crate3.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
We have a IG 34" and a new dog who's never cruised before. I need a way to keep him in the v-bunk or salon while we dock or have an on-board emergency. I'm looking for a narrow dog gate to keep him down in the v-bunk. My husband wants to remove the stairs to the v-bunk, but I can imagine myself forgetting that and flying down the stairs. I have a friend that did that - not a good thing to happen!
Any ideas?

Warlock
Whidbey Island WA

How about one of those folding child gates... Lattice kind of thing. Could be permanently or semi_permanent mount on one side...clip on the other and with right hardware could be easily removable for storage when not needed. It would need mounting on both sides if that's available it might be less of a space consumer than a crate?!

Dogs

We have 2 small dos and one is blind.
$15 plastic child gate keeps them from falling down the stairs to aft cabin on our Island Gypsy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom