Deck Fitting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimonBryan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Monesk
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 32
So am looking at putting a wash down pump in (salt water). Have a sea cock I can use, the defunct AC.
Want to put the outlet on either port or starboard about midships forward of where the fuel tanks are, so need to put a hole through the deck with a suitable hole saw.
Any surprises in stall for me doing that?

Why in the deck? I would rather bring it up inside a cabinet and then go out through the cabin wall. Reduced tripping hazzard and (IMO) easier to keep sealed as far as water intrusion between fitting and wall.

Ted

Great idea

Thankyou. Been looking at this for 12 months or more....never occurred to me. Can bring it up under the bed or even under the sink.

Are there any good, reasonably priced quick connect fittings for water hose around? I'd like an anchor washdown system too. Not worried about tripping over it i'd want it right up in the bow. Maybe one of those coiled hoses. Just wondering about fiddling around with a screw on connection.

Yes, this one.

I have the low profile connector. More sturdy to me. I put a bronze 45 on it with a short hose. Long enough to run the water over the side if you do not have a hose. Gotta flush it out every now and then to keep the algae out of the system.

NewFoundMetals has the neatest one I can thing of. Restricts flow a bit, but super slick

https://newfoundmetals.com/product-category/marine_hardware/deck_washdown/

I have one like that, works well and is almost flush on the deck. If you do drill through the deck you will expose the core if it is cored. You will need to seal the core material with at least a coating of epoxy but preferred is to reef out the core around the hole and fill the reefed out area with thickened epoxy.

I'm with OC Diver on this. IMHO best not to go through the deck if you don't have to.

"Why in the deck? I would rather bring it up inside a cabinet and then go out through the cabin wall. Reduced tripping hazzard and (IMO) easier to keep sealed as far as water intrusion between fitting and wall."

Ted

Back
Top Bottom