Cannot locate leak source......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill Ranson

Vessel Name
Cork
Vessel Make
Halvorsen GC32
Fellow Halvorsen owners. I have a persistent leak that results in water dripping onto the bed. Has anyone else had this problem and if you have please share where the leak was and how you solved. Based on the stains in the wood over the bed this has been an ongoing problem.
I have recaulked in all the obvious places but problem remains. I thought about a plumbing/water line leak but boat is winterized and is currently on the hard so that eliminates an internal source.

Is your boat made of metal?

I assume the leak only occurs when it rains or the boat is washed?
Does it drip from ceiling level or from the under deck bulkheads?
Maybe post a pic where the drip is coming from and we may be able to give some possibilities

Dave...condensation was a thought but I have eliminated that.

ScottA....it is dripping from the ceiling of the forward cabin.

One place that is a possibility is the anchor locker. I have checked on section but will have to wait on the main anchor section.

I was hoping that it is something typical of my boat design (Halvorsen 32GC) that other Halvorsen owners have dealt with.

I will send pictures as soon as I am able. I am currently rehabbing from surgery for fractured elbow.

Tarp the whole front end so the leak stops. Then from the lowest end start pulling the tarp back until the leak start up again. Also if you can change the trim so at least you know what sides it from.

I chased a leakfor 5 years, it was from the railing SS tubing, where the water follow the tube around and ran down the inside. If the boat was trim to port it did no leak, if it trimed to starborad it leaked. So I kept the boat trim to port.

Last edited:
Phil....good idea with the tarp. Thanks.

Nor sure if this will help Bill, but the following is what I have had to deal with over the last ten years with Sarawana in the forward cabin.

1/ water through the ceiling where the coach house meets the deck. The problem here was the seal running across where the the deck house meets the deck had worked loose. To see whether this may be a problem for you, remove the cabin header lining, not difficult, run a hose across the joint only and see if there is any water ingress. Make sure you just run the water there, don't do a general spray of the forward deck.

2/ water seepage through the deck mounted anchor winch foot switch.We solved that one by removing the foot switch and re bedding with Sika.Again not difficult.

3/ Window channels clogging up. Not sure what type of windows your boat has but if they are the old wooden sliders, make sure the drain holes are clear, they are prone to clogging, and will let water in.

4/ main front windows, check the condition of the glass bedding at the bottom of your three windows

Bill, I don't think you quite answered Scott's question. That is, where on the ceiling is the drip located?

The only thing you can count on with leaks is water flows downhill(well mostly)

Bugger about your elbow.

Check around the windlass and if you have them, the deck mounted foot controls for the windlass. If there is caulking it may have degraded enough to let a little water through.

Found it ....finally! It was indeed the deck mounted anchor windlass foot controls. The rubber plunger that makes the contact when pressed down is protected from water seepage by drain holes. Problem is the drain holes open into the space between the decking and the interior cabin roof.
I have since removed both foot controls and installed a remote hand held switch.
The leak from the foot controls caused the decking to rot so had to cut out about one square foot and reglass.
Nice to be dry...yea. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom