AC/Heat Pump install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

overgill

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Altair
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy
I have a 1990 32 IG. I purchased the boat in pretty rough shape and have spent the last 5 years working on and enjoying this great boat.

This year I decided to look into adding an AC/Heat pump system. The basic stuff like were to put it and the BTU requirements are relatively strait forward, there is lots of info on line. My specific issue is were and how to mount the output and return air vents. In a perfect world you would want the output air to be as high as posable and the return low and close to the unit. Well as much as I enjoy my 32 IG getting a 4inch duct hose high on the wall without showing is tricky at best.

I was hoping that there may be some one that has a 32 with factory air and could share with me were things are mounted and how the vents are run.

Thanks in advance

I'd propose that supply termination isn't NEARLY as important as getting adequate air volume! Rule of thumb says 400 cfm/ton. You'll want to try to keep velocities around 600 fpm, 700 fpm will start to be noisy. So consider your noise tolerance in the duct sizing.

There are online calculators that you can figure duct sizing. Resist the temptation to reduce the size of the supply duct in order to fit into a space. There is nothing to gain by doing so, and everything to lose.
If space is at a premium, consider building a chase as duct, line with 1/2" duct liner to insulate and prevent sweating. You can get more air through a triangular space than you'll get through a round flex in that space.

Don't choke the airflow!

Thanks for the quick reply,,,

Totaly agree is all about the air flow. I have thought about using fabricated ducting. It would allow me to get the air high without being to intrusive. I hadn't considered the increase in air flow, a good consideration.

Back
Top Bottom