Winterizing a Watermota Sea Lion (Lehmann.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BuoyOBuoy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Wooly Bully
Vessel Make
Albin 33
1979 Albin 33. First winter in below freezing winter.
Upgraded Prestone in engine to -34C. and drained all fresh water.
Pumped out holding tank and added some RV antifreeze to both water tanks and holding tanks as well as heads.
Took off the water intake hose after raw water filter to put intake hose in a bucket of Prestone to flush out the impeller and exhaust manifold.
My problem is that I took off the hose after the filter (easier to get at) and now that leaves the glass globe filled with fresh water.
Have tried all possible to unscrew the globe or find a pee cock to drain it. :banghead:
Does anyone have experience draining this filter without removing it or the hose on the intake side?
Sure will appreciate advice.

You could suck out as much water as possible and then fill it up with antifreeze. I used to do that in the 1 or 2 years I wintered in-water.

Usually I just open it the sea cock and let it drain out on to the boat yard's gravel parking lot.

Will it drain due to gravity?

Not sure of your exact setup. Don't rule out using a shop vac to remove water. Put the suction end over a water line and cup it with your hand to make a seal.

Water enters thru shut off valve at hull then comes vertical to the top of the filter on the aft end of the filter. The out hose is on top as well on the forward side which is the one I disconnected. That leaves the filter full of fresh water which I can see through the clear glass.
I had considered using my shop vac to suck the fresh water out. Then this got me to thinking of what I would do if the filter got clogged. How would I get it off to clean it out?
I would prefer to open it to clean it out although it appears to be clean. If I could do it now then I would know what to do if it (God forbid) got clogged.

Now is them time to figure out how the strainer opens and closes. Use a shop vac to suck out the remaining water and then fill with antifreeze.

Are you on land this winter? If so, just open the seacock and the water should drain out.
Did you pump Prestone through the raw water side and into the water? There are environmentally friendly antifreezes for that, including the pink stuff for plumbing.

Are you on land this winter? If so, just open the seacock and the water should drain out.
Did you pump Prestone through the raw water side and into the water? There are environmentally friendly antifreezes for that, including the pink stuff for plumbing.

Thanks MIke. Yes, it is on land for the winter.
As I said in an earlier post, the water enters and exits at the top of the filter so it will not drain by itself. I removed the hose from the exit side of the filter, put it in a bucket of pink RV antifreeze and started the engine. I had someone outside at the exhaust with another pail who caught any overflow. The engine is set for the winter.
However the filter was still full of water. That is until I was able to remove it from it's rack and turn it up side down. Now it is empty. Also I can see that there are small bolts underneath pointing toward the top side.
The immediate problem is taken care of.
But I am left wondering how much time; if I had weeds or something else clogging the filter, would it take to unhinge and unbolt. The bolt heads would be upside down and the filter casing close to the hull. Who designs these things?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom