Old 07-10-2014, 02:21 AM   #1

City: Lakes Entrance
Vessel Name: GENERAL WILLI
Vessel Model: 1980 to 83 CLIPPER STYLE
Tom

I own a 39 ft clipper style aft cabin cruiser. buit approx. in 1980 or so. was built in Taiwan I reckon . this one has the engine in the aft of the boat and propelled by a V drive and accessible through a hatch in the deck. I have never seen this type of boat with the motor aft,,,,,, usually there all mid ships. any one throw some light on this subject please.
tvtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #2
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Welcome Tom,

Always good to get another Aussie TF member. Nice boating country in Lakes Entrance.

We need a few more clues about your boat. A photo would be great. Click on "go advanced" and attach a pic to your post.

You find vee drives in a few models of Taiwanese trawlers. I've seen a 29 ft Lien Hwa with a vee drive. Even the early Willards had them.
With a photo - one of the members will surely identify your boat.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:25 AM   #3

Being the first time at this and being computer iliterate you may have to bear with me.....i try this first
Old 07-10-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
Guru

City: Perth
G'day from Perth. Enjoy your time here mate.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Welcome from the other side of the world.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...-etc-5739.html

Post #6 in the above linked thread may be of assistance to you in posting a picture of your clipper. I'd be interested to see this V drive equipped boat too.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Hi Tom, another downunderian here. I have a Clipper 34 myself, and have seen many others, and never come across one with a v-drive before. Mainly, I suspect, because boats this big, and this type of configuation, have enough room to fit the more usual shaft drive/midships engine set-up. Wouldn't that V-drive place your engine under the floor of the aft cabin, of is it way aft in the lazaret area..? By your description it sounds like the latter site, which means it is indeed way aft. Was this done to accommodate some other unusual feature of the fit-out maybe..?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Hi Tom, Welcome. You are in a very scenic area. I look forward to pics of your boat when you master the process. About 3 at a time is my max or I get a security message.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #8

Tom

Hi there I,m sorry about the way I am going in this Forum but I am only self taught . I see Brucek is from Sydney. Well my boat General Willi came from there years ago where I believe it operated as a charter vessel for some years. I will see how I go about putting some pictures on, Tom
Old 07-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
From one Tom to another! Welcome!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Guru

City: gulf coast
Welcome

V drives are quite common in US on various designs where the designer wants to maximize cabin space by keeping engine aft. They put more weight far aft than a midships engine design and make transmission and stuffing box access more difficult but there seem no inherent problems when properly set up.
Some info on the make and model of the engine ad transmission will yiels a lot more data for you.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:43 AM   #11

This has a 2715e ford lehmans 6 cylinder engine with a borg warner V drive gearbox at a ratio of 1.5 to 1
Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
My 1993 Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge had a pair of Walter V drives (RV-40's). It was a big gas pig (8.1L HO gassers) but a very spacious boat. The engines were under the cockpit of the boat the V drives were close to the bulkhead between the ER and the main salon. Under the salon was where the 320+ gallons of gasoline were kept. This always bothered me but since I sold the boat it no longer is my worry. For the boat to handle properly required keeping the gas tank topped off. Once the boat would get down to 1/3 of a tank it got harder to get the boat to plane. This is common and unique to the Manship 40SB.
V drives are pretty common in the US.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #13

Peter B In regards to the difference of the vessel I have and the clipper 34. as I was shopping for the clipper 34 and looked at several. this vessel I ended up buying is the exact layout of you boat. the aft and forward cabin layout are nearly a replica of my boat. The reason I chose this boat is that being 5 ft longer than the 34, I found the short deck space out the aft cabin to the transom on the 34, I found that the distance from the aft cabin in general and the transom was a lot longer, IE about 6 or so feet. and that is where the motor ford lehman 6 sits coupled to a borg warner 72c series V drive. the shipright who looked at this vessel for me before sale told me he thinks it,s between a choy lee and a chung wha ????? but neverless it does the job for me. It has huge area in e/room for me to sit there comfortably and service the engine, all batterys and hot water service are in there too, The 7.5 kva genset sits mid ships where the motor is generally. have a inbuilt water tank of 1200 ltrs in there also, the 2 x 700 litre fuel tanks are port and starboard in E/room also. I still am trying to work out how to put a picture or pictures on this site but hopefully I will get there eventually. bye for now
Old 07-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #14

I wonder
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1065 (640x480).jpg  
Old 07-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
There you go, tvTom, you managed. Actually, my Clipper 34 is not an aft or tri-cabin version, and although the norm now, was very rare back in 1975 when she was produced, it is a sedan version. We kept looking for one of those for precisely the reason you pointed to - the small aft cockpit in the tri-cabin 34, whereas ours is nice and roomy out there, the trade-off being, of course, no aft cabin. However for the two of us, we don't miss that. What we would miss is the nice roomy and covered aft cockpit. By going bigger you managed to get pretty much both features, and your vessel looks very much like the aft cabin version of the Blue Seas 36, one of which is just down the finger from me now, actually, only yours is longer still. I am at Horizon Shores Marina just north of the Gold Coast, where will you be keeping your boat..? I see you are in Northern Victoria at Lakes Entrance.
Anyway, sounds like a great vessel. Happy boating.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0368.jpg   Image087.jpg   settee etc.jpg  
Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Peter, a parallel universe across the ocean.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Dang, Al. I sure love that boat. Canvas...woodwork, everything.just to my taste.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Tom, the downside of a roomy aft cabin can be loss of cockpit depth. On a Clipper 34 it is pretty much an unusable area. With greater length, your boat has aft cabin and usable cockpit, a major plus. Side and aft pics would be good.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #19

Aft picture will get more now i think i know what i,m doing
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1106 (640x480).jpg  
Old 07-13-2014, 02:30 AM   #20