Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #41
Guru

City: Vermont
I'd be fine with something other than Passage Maker, and appreciate the point about it being an overused term. I think it's the criteria for anointment that matters the most.

Actually, looking back at the thread's original title, perhaps "Ocean Crosser" says it all. It's short, sweet, and to the point.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #42

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'd be fine with something other than Passage Maker, and appreciate the point about it being an overused term. I think it's the criteria for anointment that matters the most.

Actually, looking back at the thread's original title, perhaps "Ocean Crosser" says it all. It's short, sweet, and to the point.
It does say it all with no ambiguity.

My vote "Ocean Crosser".
Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #43
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Much like the boat size thing...is there a minimum distance offshore you must reach?

Can't you get to Asia via the Aleutians and never make an open water passage of more than 250 miles (or something like that?)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #44

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Much like the boat size thing...is there a minimum distance offshore you must reach?

Can't you get to Asia via the Aleutians and never make an open water passage of more than 250 miles (or something like that?)
What that passage lacks in distance to land it makes up in ocean state. I used to ship out of Tacoma for Japan on a GC track that would have us cross the Aleutians twice.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
What that passage lacks in distance to land it makes up in ocean state. I used to ship out of Tacoma for Japan on a GC track that would have us cross the Aleutians twice.
But the whole "stigma" of the open ocean crossing is no place to hide and less chance of a rescue which the Aleutians do provide and it's the larger of all the oceans...

So as I pointed out...without parameters....who gets to join the TF club that so many are trying to define???
Old 08-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #46
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. Parameters. Exactly. Someone who runs to Bermuda is not crossing the Atlantic BUT definitely is blue water cruising and should be eligible for some special recognition.
An affectionado of cruise ships IS out in blue water but the most they have to worry about is what time the Elvis impersonator opens in the lounge on "B" deck. Likewise someone who crews on a larger vessel that they are NOT in charge of should be considered ineligible as well.
I propose that to earn the "title" (whichever one is decided upon) one should demonstrate that they have cruised in "blue water" (let's say 100 miles offshore) for extended periods (say 5 or more days) with only their vessel and trusted crew. I further propose that sail boaters, with all due respect, not be eligible. This is a POWER boating site after all. Joshua Slocum is not a member as far as I know.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. Parameters. Exactly. Someone who runs to Bermuda is not crossing the Atlantic BUT definitely is blue water cruising and should be eligible for some special recognition.
An affectionado of cruise ships IS out in blue water but the most they have to worry about is what time the Elvis impersonator opens in the lounge on "B" deck. Likewise someone who crews on a larger vessel that they are NOT in charge of should be considered ineligible as well.
I propose that to earn the "title" (whichever one is decided upon) one should demonstrate that they have cruised in "blue water" (let's say 100 miles offshore) for extended periods (say 5 or more days) with only their vessel and trusted crew. I further propose that sail boaters, with all due respect, not be eligible. This is a POWER boating site after all. Joshua Slocum is not a member as far as I know.
What? I was thinking the opposite...on a cruise ship you can get Legionnaires disease, salmonella poisoning, catch fire, run aground and roll over, lose money on blackjack...

Heck....going on the Dauntless seemed like the safer bet!!!

Just kidding...I'm nervous just thinking about crossing to the Bahamas on my rickety old, rotten, partially rebuilt Albin...yet have pretty much circumnavigated the Western hemisphere on all kinds of things up to 399 feet, plus Atlantic and Drakes Passage crossing several times...but I don't think I carry the same boating honors of some of our more experienced cruisers here.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #48
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Trans Ocean Navigator - TON
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
Old 08-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #49
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Passagemaker? Not for me, first thing I thought of was the mag. So, I'll take a shot at this:
1st designation "Deep Blue Waterman", could cover an offshore passage like to the Bahamas
Then, something like this:
Deep Blue Waterman
Atlantic Crossing (or Pacific, Great Lakes etc.)
Old 08-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #50
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. HW. TON? Again, not wanting to minimize Richard's epic voyage, and TON might be the best title for Richard, IF we are to designate and recognize those other members who, in fact DO cruise well offshore and thus deserve and desire some sort of recognition in their title, I feel we have to decide on a title which will include as many as possible. For example I would consider a crossing of Bass straight to be blue water cruising or, as I mentioned a passage to Bermuda. Neither is crossing ANY ocean but is deserving of recognition as a blue water cruiser.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #51
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
TF Designation for Ocean Crossers

I like where this thread is going, defining parameters is key. Personally I can care less about someone hiring a captain to do it for them so "owner operated power pleasure boat" is a given on this forum. Sorry Deckofficer and Sailor of Fortune.

Circumnavigator is specific enough and so far Richard has a pretty good head start toward that honor.

Crossing "oceans" is a fairly straight forward parameter too IMO.

Looper is another straight forward definition we can throw on the table for consideration.

How about folks like Larry and Lena? Talk about "been there, done that".

Verification is another key, nothing would be worse than to have some phony poser getting the moniker.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #52
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Passagemaker? Not for me, first thing I thought of was the mag. So, I'll take a shot at this:
1st designation "Deep Blue Waterman", could cover an offshore passage like to the Bahamas
Seriously!? A special designation for crossing to the Bahamas? Is only about 50 miles and it's done by private boats on an almost daily basis. I've done it in a 24' cuddy cabin. And many people have done it in much smaller.

It's hardly a "passage" worth a special designation.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Verification is another key, nothing would be worse than to have some phony poser getting the moniker.
Unless you are thinking of awarding a large cash prize, I doubt people will be lining up to fake their way in to the club.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #54
Enigma

Ha. It's quite simple to spot a false Enigma! Ocean Trekker? Wave Rider? Current Rider? Ocean Rider? Red Rider (with the BB gun).
Old 08-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #55
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Unless you are thinking of awarding a large cash prize, I doubt people will be lining up to fake their way in to the club.

Shhhh!!! Not so loud.

Moonstruck is attempting to gather the prize money over on the bad boy thread

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 08-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #56
Guru

Oops! Sorry.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #57
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Seriously!? A special designation for crossing to the Bahamas? Is only about 50 miles and it's done by private boats on an almost daily basis. I've done it in a 24' cuddy cabin. And many people have done it in much smaller.

It's hardly a "passage" worth a special designation.
No, no special designation for Bahamas crossing. Just Deep Blue Waterman. Designations come in for the big stuff, big stuff to be defined here. Atlantic Crossing is big stuff.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #58

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Might want to lay out some criteria for the title first. Only trawlers or all powerboats? What about the motor sailors, like Carquinez Coot? How great a distance traveled? How difficult? (La Paz to Puerta Vallarta is not quite as difficult as Hobart to Sydney.) Passagemaker sounds good to me.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #59
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Horizon Seeker
Old 08-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #60
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
That guy is a TON!!!!