Stickies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RT Firefly

Enigma
Greetings all,
Are there still stickies listing some of the chandlers/wholesale/used parts suppliers? I vaguely recall there being something like that on the old site.
Would it be of any advantage to have one or a series of stickies for the newbies where they could easily get answers to some of their questions? I'm thinking of recent questions regarding vessel documentation and registration. Or what are considered displacement and non displacement units (brands). Or general statements such as: ALWAYS get a vessel surveyed. I think information such as this can be reported in a factual non opinionated manner but don't get me started on the galley up or down debate!

I remember the used parts sticky. If you can point us to threads where the consensus of members want to make it a sticky, we'll certainly discuss it and make sure it's appropriate. Not that it wouldn't be, but I am personally weary or overuse of forum sticky topics. It just clutters up the forum.

Tom-

GonzoF1 said:
Not that it wouldn't be, but I am personally weary or overuse of forum sticky topics. It just clutters up the forum.

Tom-

Agree with RTF about sticky for newbie questions as we'll as your caution about overuse.

Perhaps a tutorial style thread that is well composed could be put together by a few of our more seasoned and well written members?

I have seen that or a sub forum of popular topics (FAQ's) work at other forums.

Greetings,
Ah, tutorial type stuff. That's exactly what I was thinking about Mr. CP. I can also appreciate Mr. Gonzo's point as well but any sites I am on, I may read through the stickies once and then infrequently refer back to them. My original question was just a suggestion which may or may not have any merit in the end.

Greeting,
YES INDEED Mr. rochepoint!!!! Where the hell was that sneaky little bugger hiding? I looked in classifieds and it was nowhere that I saw. Don't stickies permanently occupy the top slots in a section? Thanks. I think the new format allows for polls. Should we set up a general FAQ sticky for common questions new members ask poll?

I love the idea of a FAQs Forum for Basic Info. We could set up an area like this and moderate new thread submissions, we might even want to have a thread in that area soliciting "articles" specific topics on. Members could suggest article ideas and perhaps another might be willing to write one on the topic. Once the initial thread were put up, further posts to the thread with more input would only add to the info :)

Having detailed info on how to purchase or do some maintenance task would be a great resource.

A famous actor once said "So let it be written; so let it be done." I think it would be a great addition.:thumb:

The team are discussing options. We'll let you know. It sounds good, we just need to all understand the how's and why's before we start the process.

Don't like stickies. They are always in the way of current stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom