Old 03-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #21
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
I have found that if I take a picture with my phone (iPhone) send it to my computer and then grab it from within the forum it is often rotated for me. As in wrong.

If I download it to my computer, then OPEN it in a viewing program and SAVE it, without any changes, and THEN grab it from within the forum it stays oriented properly.

BTW, the problem is not just here, it's also on another V-Bulletin powered forum.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Queen Charlotte
Cartouche I wonder if my editing trick I posted on page one would work for your Android. It’s an easy thing to try.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:30 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
I have found that if I take a picture with my phone (iPhone) send it to my computer and then grab it from within the forum it is often rotated for me. As in wrong.

If I download it to my computer, then OPEN it in a viewing program and SAVE it, without any changes, and THEN grab it from within the forum it stays oriented properly.

BTW, the problem is not just here, it's also on another V-Bulletin powered forum.
Aha, something from Oscar's post just prompted me to consider a reason why many of us iPhone users find the issue variable. This may well be because many of us use the iCloud, where photos taken on the iPhone or iPad automatically populate our other devices, so the orientation error is not corrected.

But maybe if one sends the pic as a message or email to your computer, then open it there and save it to photos, the orientation might be corrected by that action - rather like just opening it in a photo app on the computer and clicking on 'auto-enhance' like oeanda suggested..?
Old 03-12-2022, 12:19 PM   #24

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: Cartouche
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Cartouche I wonder if my editing trick I posted on page one would work for your Android. It’s an easy thing to try.
Many thanks I will try it for sure next time just seems weird that the picture is right in my files and wrong when posted.
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:50 PM   #25
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
There are several free or cheap apps and computer programs that will allow you to rotate images, etc. Just do a search.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:19 PM   #26

City: Delray Beach, FL and Denver, CO
Vessel Name: PartnerShip II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
Can someone let me know how you rotate a picture on this site very frustrating I think for allot of users. Many thanks

What I found is is you load the picture on your computer (I use a Microsoft Tablet) then open the picture using the included Photo application. Then hit EDIT/Create. Rotate as needed and save as another name (version2). Doing this gets the upload orientation correct.

This works regardless of what you use to take the picture. I take most of mine with an iPhone, email them to myself and do what I explained. It works every time.
Newtrawlerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:54 PM   #27

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: Cartouche
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtrawlerowner View Post
What I found is is you load the picture on your computer (I use a Microsoft Tablet) then open the picture using the included Photo application. Then hit EDIT/Create. Rotate as needed and save as another name (version2). Doing this gets the upload orientation correct.

This works regardless of what you use to take the picture. I take most of mine with an iPhone, email them to myself and do what I explained. It works every time.
cheers i will try it just seems really like a whole bunch of e that could be addressed to make it simple
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:10 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
cheers i will try it just seems really like a whole bunch of e that could be addressed to make it simple
We all sympathise and agree, however if using an iPhone to photograph, if you always take boat pics in landscape (horizontal position), with firing button to the right, and lens top left, they will always post ok.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:20 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Perennial discussion. Something TF could surely fix.S aving endless member reprocessing, neck and eye strain gymnastics,frustrations, etc.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:29 AM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Perennial discussion. Something TF could surely fix.S aving endless member reprocessing, neck and eye strain gymnastics,frustrations, etc.
Actually TF can't fix. It's the way photos are added to V-Bulletin and it's also true for most other forum software. Easy enough solutions provided to phone users above. The issue really comes from the phone side of things. Posting from computer isn't a problem.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:22 AM   #31

City: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The issue really comes from the phone side of things. Posting from computer isn't a problem.
I always post from my laptop, almost never from my phone. Pics look fine on my laptop display but will display sideways at times on TF. I can go through the trouble of rotating them and uploading again, but I usually don't bother as I don't think it's all that important.
NEtrawler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 11:35 AM   #32
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
I believe the issue is that TF, actually the underlying VBulletin software, is ignoring the Orientation info that accompanies most images. There is the orientation of the stored JPEG (to use that as an example), but also orientation info to tell the displaying software how to rotate it, if at all.

IPhones always record the JPEG in landscape orientation, button right, lens left. It then adds the orientation info based on how you are holding the camera at the time.

Display software is supposed to load the JPEG, the rotate it according to the Orientation info. This is why most programs display the image correctly, yet others do not.

When you view an image that either appears correctly in the first place because the program has rotated it as instructed, or because it was displayed in its underlying JPEG orientation and you manually rotated it, and then you save it, I think most programs save the new JPEG as viewed and rest the Orientation info to indicate no rotation is required. Now if software like TF display it and ignore the Orientation info, it still displays correctly because no orientation rotation is required. This is how the photos get “fixed”.

Unlike a iPhone, it would appear that photos are stored as JPEGs after they have been rotated, so never include Orientation info indication that rotation is required.

So, I would argue that the problem is in TF because it doesn’t display images as instructed by the image. Androids don’t expose the problem, but that doesn’t make TF right.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEtrawler58 View Post
I always post from my laptop, almost never from my phone. Pics look fine on my laptop display but will display sideways at times on TF. I can go through the trouble of rotating them and uploading again, but I usually don't bother as I don't think it's all that important.
Is your laptop an i?
Old 03-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
So, I would argue that the problem is in TF because it doesn’t display images as instructed by the image. Androids don’t expose the problem, but that doesn’t make TF right.
But it's VBulletin, not TF, and it's also on other forum software. Forum software doesn't import any data attached. Likely best it doesn't or it would bring in all the metadata and some you wouldn't want brought in. This isn't just a situation with VBulletin. It's the same with every forum software I'm aware of.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:58 PM   #35

City: Bristol
Quote:
Is your laptop an i?
Standard Dell Latitude laptop
NEtrawler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
But it's VBulletin, not TF, and it's also on other forum software. Forum software doesn't import any data attached. Likely best it doesn't or it would bring in all the metadata and some you wouldn't want brought in. This isn't just a situation with VBulletin. It's the same with every forum software I'm aware of.

Yes, VBulletin is the underlying software.

IF VBulletin wants images where the JPEG is correctly oriented, and without any metadata, it could reprocess the images to make them the way it wants. It's already doing that to some extent if it's stripping off the metadata as you suggest.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #37
Guru

I just tried a little test and Vbulletin (TF) is already processing uploaded images in order to down size them. I think this is where the prescribed rotation should be taking place, prior to downsizing and creating a new JPG.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:42 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I just tried a little test and Vbulletin (TF) is already processing uploaded images in order to down size them. I think this is where the prescribed rotation should be taking place, prior to downsizing and creating a new JPG.
Now I want to see you convince VBulletin to make the change. Of course VBulletin launched in 2000 and the version used here is something like 13 or 14 years old. In late 2017, a post by Technical Support Lead, Wayne Luke, confirmed that vBulletin 3 and vBulletin 4 were now considered to be "End of Life" software, with no further development of the series planned. This site is on 3.8.8 Beta 4. They are now up to 5.6.7. I don't know any site on the current version though to check. Everyone got locked in so long ago and no one ever changes. Cruisers Forum is even earlier with 3.8.8 Beta 1.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:42 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Queen Charlotte
Yeah the forum that forced me to get familiar with V Bulletin, where I learned the trick to posting upright photos, moved on from this software many years ago. Nowadays there are many forum software improvements out there, and there should be no need to struggle so hard to post pics, etc. Clearly CF and TF are managed with a ‘hands off’ approach. There are pros and cons to that though, so ya take the good with the bad.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Yeah the forum that forced me to get familiar with V Bulletin, where I learned the trick to posting upright photos, moved on from this software many years ago. Nowadays there are many forum software improvements out there, and there should be no need to struggle so hard to post pics, etc. Clearly CF and TF are managed with a ‘hands off’ approach. There are pros and cons to that though, so ya take the good with the bad.
VBulletin still remains the standard, although most forums, like this one, are using old versions. There is a substantial cost and disruption to making the change and some forums I know that moved had many issues with the move including down time, loss of some old messages, especially private messages, and then continued issues and disruptions after the move that may or may not have been software related. I had forums decades ago and used different software, mainly to save money. The software I used worked very well. However, I would never attempt to move all the sites this company owns. I might, however, upgrade to more current versions, but not for turning of photos.