Old 10-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #21
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I dont understand the need for so much data as required by the port captain link.

Is this some kind of marketing data collection?
I believe you only have to click yes or no?

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #22
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:

pre commit to supply local transportation? Really??
No. Read it all again. (I agree it's a little prolific.) Doesn't say that. It is discussed, but not required.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
I dont understand the need for so much data as required by the port captain link.
I was port captain for another boating organization and only provided my contact information.

Personally i would be unwilling to pre commit to supplying some or all of the port information listed on the form. I was not providing a service for a fee. I was a volunteer and depending on the situation and my time available I might provide a lot of a little.

pre commit to supply local transportation? Really??
Where on earth are you getting all this from?
Old 10-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I know the transportation was a big big help from Irene when I needed it in Port Angeles.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #25

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Well ... don't volunteer!
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olebird View Post
Simple as that!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #27
Guru

City: gulf coast
In todays world there will be people who demand you provide any service you list. This isn't 1980 when boaters were knowledgeable and courteous.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #28
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olebird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Simple as that!!!

You got it!!

Gezz folks lets not get all rocket science over something simple. I'm computer illiterate and I can still figure it out. Lighten up!! Yes or No??
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #29
Guru

City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
As a member of the nearly defunct Trawler List since 1998, I enjoy contact with numerous Loopers who are often also Great Loop members (something I only did for one year way back when). I always made mention of our pier facilities to folks I had established a rapport in the days ahead of their arrival, and numbers took advantage. We can berth two vessels up to fifty feet long at our spare slips with 30-Amps and shore water apiece. However, as often as not, our being about 6-8 miles off the magenta line dissuaded folks glued to it or trying to make a weather window at Carrabelle to cross the Big Bend from coming to visit. If the two hours added to their trip was too much to deal with, sayonara. With both city marinas in ruins, that may change when Looping begins again in earnest. When we did get visitors, it was really fun, and we never met anybody we didn't consider entirely worthwhile. In later years, we did learn to tread extremely delicately about political issues unless it became clear they were of our persuasion. In general, we all just stayed clear of the issue and had a great time. So, yes, I am ok with being an "official" PC volunteer with nothing promised beyond that fact. Pier use and transport or anything else would be discussed in the days ahead of the vessel's arrival so we all talk from the same page.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
In todays world there will be people who demand you provide any service you list. This isn't 1980 when boaters were knowledgeable and courteous.
They can demand away.

If the simple F off doesn't work, eleven years in the submarine force taught me an arcane methodology of lacing the common vernacular with obscenities and adjectives to create dramatic verbal affronts insulting ones intelligence, hereditary (or offspring), spouse, and physical attributes.

I may be out of practice, but one readily falls back on their training when in a "situation".

PS: This generally does not work on other ex-military enlisted personnel.

PSS: I don't really do this (anymore). My wife would be mad at me for days.

PSSS: Although, if I hit myself with a hammer, or knuckle bust when wrenching, I can still get a pretty good stream going. So it's only directed towards inanimate objects these days.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #31
Guru

You know, I think we all might be over-engineering this a smidge!
Old 11-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #32
Guru

Eh. There are only 35 of us registered so far. But I did notice that one could access the members list, and therefore the Port Captain list without logging in or even being a member of TF. That seems to be a bit of oversight.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #33
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Fort Myers Port Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
This sounds like an interesting idea. Wondering if there are some assumed requirements / recommendations. The big one that comes to mind is how much a person should be around. As an example, I could be a Port Captain in Fort Myers. Problem is that I'm gone 6 months a year, so more of a virtual Port Captain. Maybe some guidance on how much time a person should likely be in the area to be a good candidate, would be helpful.

Ted

I can fill in when your aren't around, I'm here year around.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #34
ljk

Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Port Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
TF Port Captain Feature

Trawler Forum (TF) is initiating a new Port Capt feature that allows members to volunteer as a Port Capt and also provides a search function to return a list of volunteer Port Capts by Country, State/Province and City. Credit where due… Menzies got the ball rolling with a recent post and several members expressed support and willingness to volunteer as a Port Capt. The site team has reviewed the request and several approaches and is implementing the following Port Capt feature:

Volunteering

TF members will note some new and revised fields, in our User Profiles, that are used by this function. Volunteers will need to access their profiles (via the link below or User CP on the top banner) to review and update the applicable fields:

The link to update your profile details (and check this option) is here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

Port Capt - Check box that confirms you are volunteering and is used by the search function
Checking this option affirms your willingness to help out other members as a Local Port Guide, providing local knowledge and other support as able or willing. This might include offering shuttle services for provisioning or emergency repairs, offering knowledge about local services and anchorages, or even meeting up with visiting members at a local spot for a meet and greet. This is an entirely voluntary activity and members may choose how much time they spend or whom they guide.
O Yes O No

Country – Used in the search function
State / Province - Select your State / Province as applicable
City - Nearest city to "port / area"
Port / Area - area covered as a Port Capt – Describe the area you are familiar with and/or willing to provide assistance.
Don't forget to Scroll and Save when edits are finished.

As a volunteer it is up to you to decide what assistance and services you are willing to provide.
Some things to consider are listed below:

1. Provide "local knowledge" - for things like marinas, anchorages, restaurants, attractions, services, supplies, repairs, etc, etc
2. Meet & Greet - willing to meet TF members for social activities
3. Shuttle Service(s) - willing to shuttle visitors for provisioning, supplies, etc
4. Emergency Services - willing to assist those in an emergency with shuttle, repair recommendations, etc

Volunteer Port Capt's can use the Profile Comments portion of the User Profile to add a commentary regarding areas you are familiar with and services you are willing to provide.

Note: The Port Capt position and use of the TF Port Capt search feature is strictly voluntary and a way of connecting members with volunteers. Trawler Forum or Social Knowledge provides no screening, recommendation nor endorsement of volunteer(s) or users.

Searching for Port Captains
Members seeking info or assistance should search the area of interest and contact the volunteer Port Capt via TF Personal Message (PM).
The members list is sortable here:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/memberlist.php?do=search
Just enter the Country, State/Province and select Yes for the Port Capt option then scroll down and Search. If the returned list is long you can narrow it down by including City and/or Port

On behalf of the Site Team

When will this go live? I don't see PORT CAPTAIN on my EDIT DETAILS screen.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljk View Post
When will this go live? I don't see PORT CAPTAIN on my EDIT DETAILS screen.
User CP then Edit Your Details.

You will see the text box and a Yes/No selection.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #36
ljk

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
User CP then Edit Your Details.

You will see the text box and a Yes/No selection.

Got it, thanks!
Old 11-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
This sounds like an interesting idea. Wondering if there are some assumed requirements / recommendations. The big one that comes to mind is how much a person should be around. As an example, I could be a Port Captain in Fort Myers. Problem is that I'm gone 6 months a year, so more of a virtual Port Captain. Maybe some guidance on how much time a person should likely be in the area to be a good candidate, would be helpful.

Ted
Ted
No absolute requirements imposed or expected.
I'd suggest people use the Profile Comment option / feature to make any / all comments, caveats, restrictions, etc. Even add a note to check with you well ahead to ascertain your schedule / availability as you are an active cruiser.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
You know, I think we all might be over-engineering this a smidge!
Wifey B: A little? My god people either sign up or not for all or part and when someone needs help either provide it or not, you're not entering a binding legal contract or anything. Seemed so simple and yet....
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #39
Guru

What? I only see one person with bunched panties here.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #40
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
If the simple F off doesn't work, eleven years in the submarine force taught me an arcane methodology of lacing the common vernacular with obscenities and adjectives to create dramatic verbal affronts insulting ones intelligence, hereditary (or offspring), spouse, and physical attributes.
Accentuated by some highly animated matching gestures. Some people learn by hearing, some by seeing.