Old 12-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #1

City: Toronto
" Like " Button

It would be nice if there was a " Like " button at each post. ( if there is one, I have yet to find it ) It may help someone looking for info as it would reflect / validate how many agree with a suggestion / comment or response to the original post.

I really don't care about racking up my post #'s on my profile by responding to a post that I may largely agree with ..... so at a risk of repeating, a " like " button would suit me fine. just sayn' fb
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
I “like” this idea! Plus 1
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Sounds like a popularity contest move.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I'm not a fan of the concept, and I wouldn't trust the number of "Likes" to mean anything based on what I've seen or mostly heard about on so-called social networking platforms. Even so, I could easily ignore it and let others have their "fun" with it.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
No like button. As Mr. GB says, meaningless.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Isn`t this why the "Thanks" button was introduced? To communicate thanks direct to the poster,with extra comment if desired, without adding what are effectively "Likes",to the thread
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Without knowing who the person is who "liked" it, you have no idea of the value of the "like". A post appears about using wire nuts for boat wiring. The land based electrician "likes" it because he knows nothing of boat wiring, and down the wrong path some people go.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #8

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
A superficial like button adds no value. If you appreciate a post, say why using words.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'm on another forum which uses a "Like" button. I use it all the time, and I'd love to see it here.

First, let me say I'm NOT on Facebook, I have had a Twitter account for several years that I've used exactly once, and I'm totally NOT into the whole social media thing.

I rarely want to get so formal as to initiate an e-mail by using "Thanks." That's reserved for a someone very specifically addressing an issue for me personally.

Usually, a simple show of support for a good answer is more appropriate. It's quick and easy to just tap "Like." Far better than a whole new post just to say "+1."

It's also good for the forum overall. It's highly motivational to see that multiple folks appreciate something you've written, even if no-one feels the need to personally thank you.

It brings people back to the forum, to see if what they said, or what someone else said which they agree with, also resonates with other members.

It encourages people to think before posting. Am I adding value? Can I say this in a positive way that people will "like," instead of just disagreeing with someone else?

A "Like" option is a way to encourage good posts and a sense of community, and subtly discourage unhelpful posts and rudeness.

In that other forum, the "Likes" are just one line at the bottom of a post. It shows the names and the first few people who "liked" it. If there are more, it'll say "and xx others." You never see a long list. When you log on, it says how many likes you've received. You can click to see what it was people liked. Or ignore the whole thing. No real waste of time or space for anyone.

To those who think it's a bad idea: I would have agreed with you before I tried it on that other forum. Now I think it's what makes that place a success.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm on another forum which uses a "Like" button. I use it all the time, and I'd love to see it here.

First, let me say I'm NOT on Facebook, I have had a Twitter account for several years that I've used exactly once, and I'm totally NOT into the whole social media thing.

I rarely want to get so formal as to initiate an e-mail by using "Thanks." That's reserved for a someone very specifically addressing an issue for me personally.

Usually, a simple show of support for a good answer is more appropriate. It's quick and easy to just tap "Like." Far better than a whole new post just to say "+1."

It's also good for the forum overall. It's highly motivational to see that multiple folks appreciate something you've written, even if no-one feels the need to personally thank you.

It brings people back to the forum, to see if what they said, or what someone else said which they agree with, also resonates with other members.

It encourages people to think before posting. Am I adding value? Can I say this in a positive way that people will "like," instead of just disagreeing with someone else?

A "Like" option is a way to encourage good posts and a sense of community, and subtly discourage unhelpful posts and rudeness.

In that other forum, the "Likes" are just one line at the bottom of a post. It shows the names and the first few people who "liked" it. If there are more, it'll say "and xx others." You never see a long list. When you log on, it says how many likes you've received. You can click to see what it was people liked. Or ignore the whole thing. No real waste of time or space for anyone.

To those who think it's a bad idea: I would have agreed with you before I tried it on that other forum. Now I think it's what makes that place a success.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #11

City: Port, Macedon NY
Vessel Name: Patience
Vessel Model: Maple Bay 27'
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

It's also good for the forum overall. .....

A "Like" option is a way to encourage good posts and a sense of community, and subtly discourage unhelpful posts and rudeness.......

👍🏻 Like 😁
Aquafarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #12
Enigma

Greetings,
Seems like a new feature like a "like" button would be somewhat redundant given the plethora of smilies available. From to ...Just sayin'...
Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Seems like a new feature like a "like" button would be somewhat redundant given the plethora of smilies available. From to ...Just sayin'...
You’re a likable guy RT. You’ll have “Likes” everywhere
Old 12-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #14
Guru

The like feature works well on FB.
I definitely spend more time on FB now. Sometimes I’m in the mood to watch animal vids or other silly stuff. And I’m fussy about friends. If somebody has 860 friends I don’t friend them. My page would be flooded w their posts but worse ... all their friends posts that I have very little control over. And then there’s the political stuff and there isn’t much that isn’t radical or extreme. And religion. So I keep my friend count at 30-40 and don’t do kids w purple hair and every sentence has an F word. And mostly no family. How are you going to unfriend your aunt Sharon or your neighbor’s little kid? And I “unfriend” readily w little hesitation. I view it as my own little social club. I clean house and my friend list is always in flux but most are long term. Some say they never accept friends that they don’t know personally. Dono what that gains them or what protection it gives?

Also I don’t understand people reacting to the mention of FB as if it’s the plauge. And some that are on get funny expressions on their face like the’ve just been caught connected w something really kinky. Something that would never be mentioned in a conservative forum like TF for example.

So on FB there’s humor, meaningful politics, other boat forums that are part of FB, science presentations and it’s suprising what shows up on FB. By choosing and unfriending you have lots of control over what you see on FB. Yesterday I saw a video of a sailing ship about 120’ long under full sail taken from the deck of another vessel from about a stone’s throw away. Never seen that before anywhere.

But re the “like” post I don’t think the like “button” would be a positive thing here. It would turn TF into a social club that has a number of very popular guys and mostly quiet people that would get few likes. One big click of popular guys and a huge number of unpopular members. It may reduce TF numbers significantly. But in some ways that could be good. Having a conversation here now is at times dificult. Things have been known to go through the “Trawler Discussion” board in an hour or two. Just so many guys posting.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #15
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. E. Don't really care. Just something else to clutter up the screen. KISS....
Old 12-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
Guru

Here's the beauty of it: If you don't "like" the "like" button, you can ignore it.

Or you can continue to clutter up the forum with extra posts which contain nothing but a smilie or a "+1."

Why not try it? If folks don't "like" it, they won't use it and nothing will have changed. If it turns out to be helpful, well, what's not to "like?"
Old 12-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Old 12-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #18
Guru

It’s hard to justify doing something where no gain can be called out.

Furthermore it’s not for us to decide.
And w the infastructure in place it may not even be possible.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
It’s hard to justify doing something where no gain can be called out.

Furthermore it’s not for us to decide.
And w the infastructure in place it may not even be possible.
Tap Tap... Is this thing working?

I thought I'd called out a few gains I've personally experienced on another forum.

I should also point out that this forum appears to be using the same software as that one, so it's possible it's just an option which can be enabled. And disabled again if it doesn't work out.

If you don't like it, that's your choice. But I don't see why that should prevent others from trying it out.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #20
Guru

Re “Tap Tap”
Tom I don’t read everything you post.

The like feature will affect all on the forum.
Identifying who is popular here and who is not is not a small matter. It would make TF much more like a social club. Everyone decides continuously what they like as it is. Don’t see the need to know what other people think.

And no it’s not something one can ignore. The likes will be there for all to see. If I am an unpopular person it will be clear by my lack of likes. As it is I can only imagine. It’s not something that needs fact checking. And only afew will get lots of likes. The rest (the majority) will become cetified unpopular. Not good.