Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #1
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Housekeeping Question

Hi there moderators,

If a thread where dozens of people can share ideas and information respectfully without conflict (even if they disagree at times) and it goes on for over 900 posts, then gets "hot" because a very small number of inflexible people drop incendiary posts with no intention of discussing the issue at all, why close the whole thread?

Why not just block the trouble makers from seeing the thread and let the majority of us discuss things peacefully?

Thank you for your time.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Murray, the problem is those who you (and in most cases myself) see as trouble makers, see you (and me, and others,) as the trouble makers. Thus the head butting.
The other problem: this thread is discussing Moderation, which is a no no.
I too regret the loss of "Understanding Mk 2".
This while enjoying Steeley Dan`s "Nineteen" in the background. The Music thread beckons.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:27 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I am a trouble maker and I like trouble makers. What would be the world with only yes men?
But you can be a trouble maker in respect to the others (especially if they also are trouble makers as part of the same brotherhood lol).

What would be the point of a discussion if everybody agree to the same?

L
Old 04-21-2021, 07:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Hi there moderators,

If a thread where dozens of people can share ideas and information respectfully without conflict (even if they disagree at times) and it goes on for over 900 posts, then gets "hot" because a very small number of inflexible people drop incendiary posts with no intention of discussing the issue at all, why close the whole thread?

Why not just block the trouble makers from seeing the thread and let the majority of us discuss things peacefully?

Thank you for your time.
I agree with you, it was unfair.
Therefore I just sent a email to the TF Support Admin to close my account and change my username.
Good luck and take care.
Pilou
Old 04-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
I agree with you, it was unfair.
Therefore I just sent a email to the TF Support Admin to close my account and change my username.
Good luck and take care.
Pilou
Pilou,
With all my respect, and without any bad intend, you should not adopt this behavior.

Let say that you have a discussion around a table and one person badly behave and make a bad comment, would you:
1. Argue
2. Shut up and ignore it
3.Commit suicide

What you mention in your comment is option 3, not the right choice in my sense.

L
Old 04-21-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Pilou,
With all my respect, and without any bad intend, you should not adopt this behavior.

Let say that you have a discussion around a table and one person badly behave and make a bad comment, would you:
1. Argue
2. Shut up and ignore it
3.Commit suicide

What you mention in your comment is option 3, not the right choice in my sense.

L
Lou

Thanks for your message.

I didnít choose the option 3. If you read my posts of today you can see that I had no problem to argue.

I just donít accept the decision of the moderators to close the thread which is very different. But I respect it. So, Iím waiting for the Support Admin to close my account.

Pilou
Old 04-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. L_t. You forgot option #4. Have a glass of wine, or two.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Lou

Thanks for your message.

I didnít choose the option 3. If you read my posts of today you can see that I had no problem to argue.

I just donít accept the decision of the moderators to close the thread which is very different. But I respect it. So, Iím waiting for the Support Admin to close my account.

Pilou
Ok sorry I misunderstood you, c'est le probleme de la traduction

L
Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. L_t. You forgot option #4. Have a glass of wine, or two.
Yeah I know but I wanted to try to improve my reputation and polish my public image. I did not want to be charged of apology of alcoholism

L
Old 04-21-2021, 08:34 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
To those who have posted on this thread. The thread "Understanding the Coronavirus" has been reopened. Please read the post I wrote (below) explaining the decision to reopen.

Okay folks. I jumped the gun, and apologize for acting prematurely in closing the thread. It has now been re-opened, but I would like everyone to please think about what you are posting before you hit send. Many times, I have written a response but then re-read it prior to hitting send, and then asked myself if my post will really further anyone's understand of the issues, or enhance their understanding of boating. If the answer is no then I delete my post without sending. Once again, I apologize for any ruffled feathers. Also, you may be interested in the thread:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...tml#post998347
which arose from the closing of this post. Thanks to the members who commented on this.

Fair winds and following seas to all!
Old 04-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #11

City: NE Florida
agreed
I too had a thread I started closed recently, that was not finished running and seriously didn't get all that heated from what I saw....and frankly it's a sour taste left almost every time I see a thread closed...a lot of good ruined by such a small few
My question still stands but yet there's no longer a place here for answers to it. sad..... but I just shrug it off and move on.
in the end, no big deal.....
Old 04-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
M. L_t. Alcoholism? How about wine connoisseur (every chance you get)? You just have to learn to be a bit more creative in your labeling.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:20 PM   #13
Guru

City: Clearwater, Florida USA
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
The thread being discussed isn't one I happened to follow. But, I'll go ahead and take this opportunity to thank the mods. It is a hard job and important work. So many factors to balance and so many perspectives to consider, in the moment and through the lens of time.

Thank you!
Old 04-21-2021, 09:26 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
M. L_t. Alcoholism? How about wine connoisseur (every chance you get)? You just have to learn to be a bit more creative in your labeling.

LOL yes I should have used winoisseur but in my case it is more winecolic

L
Old 04-21-2021, 09:29 PM   #15
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
The thread being discussed isn't one I happened to follow. But, I'll go ahead and take this opportunity to thank the mods. It is a hard job and important work. So many factors to balance and so many perspectives to consider, in the moment and through the lens of time.

Thank you!
On behalf of the site team, thank you! And whoever is reading this, please realize the task we have with this covid bullshit. Covid has made our job about 100x more difficult....and I don't think I am exaggerating. So please, before you act compulsively, give us a little leeway as we are doing the best we can. And we are giving you a little leeway in discussing moderation. This thread likely will not be open for long as it is against the rules. But it does expose an issue that we are constantly battling.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Old 04-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #16
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Thank you.

I hope your trust that we'll keep things above a sandbox level is rewarded with minimal Moderation duties
Old 04-21-2021, 10:05 PM   #17
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Yes this thread violates the forum rules, yet needed to be said.

I posted this on the other thread

Good choice. However those that decide to post on this thread need to understand there will be those who disagree with you and the opposing side needs to have the same voice. For instance mast wearing vs none mask wearing. Respect each others position.

Everyone getting together around a campfire. Those that choose to wear a mask are ok as those that choose not to wear a mask.

Now who has the AA (Alaskan Amber beer)?

Hey Pilar (sp) Oregon has some great pinot noir, so the Admiral tell me.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:13 PM   #18
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
To the Site moderators and thank you for your wiliness to moderate:
Any chance the "Few" might be exposed for the "Many"?? Said as the effort to maintain civil appearance was a desire of my posting so I consider myself among the "Many". While I suspect who among us may qualify as the "Few" to allow the charge to flow without clarification surely is unfair to those who are the 'Few: who would perhaps, continue with negative post. Just asking for a friend
Al-Ketchikan
Old 04-21-2021, 10:29 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I am a new member in the Site Team. I was asked to join the team and declined to do so because I enjoy TF and wanted to continue doing that. I was asked to reconsider and finally decided to join the team. However, it certainly has taken a lot of my enjoyment out of the forum. In leadership I have found that you spend about 90% of your time dealing with 1% of the people. I know I am trying to help moderate as best I can and I certainly know that the rest of the long term moderators are doing an exceptional job at it. So I guess that I would ask the members to cut us some slack in doing a job that really doesnít make everyone happy, but it needs to be done. Also I would ask that the members step up and do some community moderating, when you see someone attacking another member, say something to them so it will become unacceptable behavior. Maybe then the need to close threads will not be as common. If other members help us teach the ones doing the attacking, maybe they will get the message, or just decide to leave. Thanks for allowing me to help with the site and also go on a bit of a rant...
Old 04-21-2021, 11:25 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
certainly has taken a lot of my enjoyment out of the forum.
Well Dave you do understand that making one a moderator eliminates a trouble maker.
I wondered why you mellowed so much.
Closed Thread