Old 10-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Banner Graphic

You have just introduced a very nice banner graphic (5 boats at dusk)*which repeats on all pages of the website. Whilst I generally like a little graphical content to liven up any site, I would like to suggest that you make it much narrower/smaller. Whenever I load a new page now, the first thing I have to do is scroll down before I can start reading the content underneath. That slows down the browsing process and might be an irritation for others as it is for me.

Whilst I would also say keep page graphics to a minimum on this site to keep it fast, the banner does not seem to have noticably affected page loading speed.

ciao,
Mark
boogiediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

RE: Banner Graphic

I think the graphic is cool looking but agree that it is too large. It makes me have to scroll before I can read anything else. On my laptop anyhow.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks!* I'm new at this, so bear with me.* I thought everybody had 1680x1050 widescreen monitors!
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Yes, it is a little annoying have to scroll down right away as each screen opens. Could you put the banner only on the main page?
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The banner is much better. Still big enough to see the boats too. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
Banner Graphic

I never thought I'd see the day when people complained about having to move a mouse a few inches (another plus for using a trackball--- don't have to move anything). But you have to admit that moving a mouse to scroll down a couple of inches is a tad easier than walking across your living room, opening the door, closing the door, walking across the street to your mailbox, getting the mail out, walking back, opening the door, closing the door, walking over to the couch, sitting down, sorting through the mail for the boating magazine you want to read, tearing off the stupid shrink-wrap, paging to the table of contents, finding an article you want to read, and turning the pages until you find it. And then--- and this is the real horror--- you have to KEEP turning big, heavy paper pages to read the whole article.

Until now, it never occurred to me to think of scrolling down a screen to read stuff and look at pictures as an inconvenience

-- Edited by Marin at 13:43, 2007-10-29
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I was going to just make 1 single forum and make everyone post there, but, you would only be able to post 1 time, EVER!* But wait, that won't work.* We now have 300 users.* HMM?* I just don't know how to please everybody!

Here's a hint on speedy scrolling:* Buy a mouse with a scroll wheel (about $8) and adjust the scroll to max. One flick of the finger and you will be able to scroll through over 7 million pages at once!
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Marin,

This is a "Suggestion Box". We are simply saying it would be nicer if we didn't have to scroll so much everytime we view a page (BTW: it is NICER now that the banner is reasonably sized).

We did not "DEMAND" a change or say that we could not possibly scroll down.

If suggestions on are not welcome, then there should not be a "suggestion box".

If you do not want to hear people "bitching" then don't read the threads posted under "suggestion box".

Also, not everyone is at a desktop system with a mouse/trackball. I am using a powerbook with a trackpad. I use the arrow buttons to scroll.

I don't understand why people need to stick their stupid nose in where it doesn't belong. This happens on PMM as well. If you don't want to see people's complaints or suggestions then don't read those sections. Obviously the board owners want to hear feedback or they would not provide a section for it.

-- Edited by Gene at 20:27, 2007-10-29
Old 10-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

BTW: What I really wanted to say was *&*( u

-- Edited by Gene at 20:30, 2007-10-29
Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

Banner Graphic

Oh, I have no objection or complaint with people complaining about or suggestiing whatever they want to complain about or suggest. I just thought this particular--- let's call it a "concern"--- was funny.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #11
LT

Banner Graphic

I love the Complaint/Suggestion Box - it's my favorite read!

I know the Moderators are just glad to have all of you here - and welcome the suggestions!
LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #12
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Banner Graphic

My complaint is that our boat is not in that picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Relax Gene
*** We're not all out to get you!
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sorry, it's a bit of carry over from the same type of posts on PMM as well.

I feel much better now .

Looking at those Canal boats was really therapeutic. I want to go for a few months!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:17 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Banner Graphic

Actually, I didn't have any particular person or post in mind at all when I reacted to the scrolling thing. I just thought the whole thread was a humorous indicator of how things have changed. Where we used to get annoyed at having to make an excess physical effort to do something, now we (me, too) get frustrated when we have to make what we feel is an unnecessary keystroke or mouse movement. Anyone who sits in my edit suite for more than a few minutes will get an earful of my cursing because I forgot to click some stupid on-screen button put there by a software designer who's never had to edit anything in his life and doesn't realize how much that step interferes with creative process.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Banner Graphic

Well that makes me feel better Marin, coz I'm the guy that started this thread in the first place!

A bit anal, I know, but what you say is true.... it's humorous (and unfortunate) how things have changed. I have a similar job to that which my dad had when he was my age. Except in those days, he'd have to send 3 telexes, then take a client out for a dry martini (for the rest of the day!), and wait 24 hours before he could expect replies - again by telex. Nowadays, if I can't sift through 400 emails a day and multi-task like a manic octopus, I'd be on the street!

As part of that effort to do do more in much less time, I see that websites are generally designed to require less key strokes and scrolling, etc to get to where one wants to be (whilst also being aethetically pleasing). This TrawlerForum site is brilliant like that. We can go into threads and return back out quicker than on any other site that I know. I can log on once every two days in the knowledge that I will be able to read all new posts in no more than 5 minutes. I figured I could help TrawlerForum maintain that fast speed of use that everyone is raving about by suggesting we remove the need to double the mouse action.

Funnily enough, it's probably because of that unfortunate change in the pace of life that has brought me to this site. My boat provides an escape, and this website too allows me to get away and meet some nice people with similar interests.

Ciao!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

Banner Graphic

Mark--- I agree this site is very well designed. Another site I use a lot is the Grand Banks owners site ( http://www.grandbanksowners.com ) and its design is excellent, too. Even if you're not a GB owner, you might find it interesting to check it out.

The site's creators (Bob Lowe and Frode) incorporated a ton of material, from owner and engine manuals to a separate site devoted just to woodies. These sections are all under the "Member Resources" heading. The main forum, which uses a format application similar to this one, is the "GB Owners Board" listing under "Member Resources."

-- Edited by Marin at 17:47, 2007-10-31
Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Banner Graphic

Thanks Marin. Indeed a nice site and one which I will look to from time to time.

Doug, thanks for fixing the banner!

Mark
Old 11-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #19

Banner Graphic

I did not see the graphic before it was resized. Wow. I must have been something! I feel it is still too large. It is not a problem with scrolling, because you have to do that anyway. It is not user friendly when each page pops up and you cannot see where you are. They all look the same. I will get used to it. This is my first day. It was awarkward at first.
lowekey42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

Banner Graphic

One change that might help is if the "first, previous, 1, 2, next, last" page data that's on the bottom of the page of a multiple page thread could be duplicated at the top of the page. That way a person wanting to read the newest posts to a topic could go right to the last page as soon as he/she opened the topic. Some of the other forums that use similar (or the same) forum software application as this one do this, so I'm guessing it would be a relatively easy thing to do here.