Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #1

City: newport
Water entered albin trawler engine

Can anyone who has owned an Albin suggest remedies to prevent water from entering the engine. It was suggested it may be entering through the exhaust system
crossways8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Guru

Which model and year? Engine?
We will need to see several good pictures of your exhaust system. A poorly designed system is usually the reason water gets back into the engine.
How old is the exhaust elbow?
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. What Mr. jl said above plus faulty: heat exchanger, oil cooler, head gasket or...
Old 12-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
How do you know you got water in your engine?

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Way to vague. We need specifics and pictures.

But.. sounds like an engine specific problem like RTF noted. If nothing changed in your exhaust system recently, look inside the engine or components.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Which model and year? Engine?
We will need to see several good pictures of your exhaust system. A poorly designed system is usually the reason water gets back into the engine.
How old is the exhaust elbow?
As far as I know the exhaust elbow is original I have a 1980 Albin Ford Lehman 120 HP engine. Just had the engine rebuilt because 3 cylinders were rusted frozen & want to avoid this problem from recurring Thanks,
Jay
Old 12-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossways8 View Post
As far as I know the exhaust elbow is original I have a 1980 Albin Ford Lehman 120 HP engine. Just had the engine rebuilt because 3 cylinders were rusted frozen & want to avoid this problem from recurring Thanks,
Jay
When engine was rebuilt was told the fins on the Impeller were virtually gone
Old 12-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Crossways:

That is a start but still woefully inadequate to do anything but bombshell you wih lots of theories, most of which will be irrelevant.

Let's assume that we can't know anything more about the cause of this rebuild other than "three cylinders were rusted and frozen". Let's also assume that the engine is now rebuilt and is running fine but you don't want the same thing to happen again.

So.....get an oil analysis done. Blackstone is one of the best. Then publish the results here so we can see the data ourselves. That will form a basis for further investigation.

Why an oil analysis? Well, one will definitely rule in or out saltwater getting into the engine. And even though I don't pay much attention to a single analysis (other than high sodium content), something major might show up which will lead us to further diagnostics. It is the one thing you can do easily that will provide a path towards knowing what if anything is going on.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: St. Joseph
Quote:
Can anyone who has owned an Albin suggest remedies to prevent water from entering the engine. It was suggested it may be entering through the exhaust system

Interesting this should pop up here. There is an older thread on the Albin Owners page that recently revived after another 36 owner posed questions about ensuring water didn’t end up in his engine. You might be interested in taking a look at it.

http://www.albinowners.com/aog/viewt...hp?f=20&t=5930
cdsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #11
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. c8. If you haven't done so already AND you don't know the history of, change the oil and transmission coolers AND the heat exchanger. All of them are maintenance items with a finite lifespan. Would be a shame to have to rebuild, yet again. NOT saying this is the source of your water but preventive maintenance is cheaper than a rebuild. Shouldn't cost more than $700 max.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: St. Joseph
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. c8. If you haven't done so already AND you don't know the history of, change the oil and transmission coolers AND the heat exchanger. All of them are maintenance items with a finite lifespan. Would be a shame to have to rebuild, yet again. NOT saying this is the source of your water but preventive maintenance is cheaper than a rebuild. Shouldn't cost more than $700 max.
I'm curious, RT, where are you sourcing your parts, particularly the heat exchanger for the Lehman 120? Coolers are $100 each, and the heat exchangers I've seen are around $600. (I guess I'm assuming the OP has a 120. Maybe you're referring to a different engine used in Albins.)
cdsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
As far as I know the exhaust elbow is original I have a 1980 Albin Ford Lehman 120 HP engine. Just had the engine rebuilt because 3 cylinders were rusted frozen & want to avoid this problem from recurring Thanks, Jay
I would replace the exhaust elbow. It's pricey but easy to replace. Only 4 bolts (but one of them will break during removal requiring installation of helicoil.)

Rusted rings could result from several things. Possible that water backed up through exhaust manifold during excessive cranking but that might flood a cylinder chamber and at that point you are hydrolocked and then engine won't turn over. If someone just walked away then highly probable that rings will rust to cyl wall in any cyl with exh valves closed. If exh valves were open I suspect water would eventually evaporate.

Possible that a bad exhaust elbow let water into the exhaust manifold and it sat there creating a humid environment over a long period of time allowing rust to build up.

Possible engine was not run in a long time and stored in moist environment. Cylinders should be fogged for long term storage.

You may never know exact cause but you can take measurements of your exhaust system to ensure that it is designed properly. Google "installation of waterlift muffler" for details.

(If you don't have waterlift muffler then install one.)

As others have mentioned, replacing all coolers and heat exchangers is a good idea. They should be on a maintenance schedule. I would add that all new hoses should be installed at the same time. I don't think failure would result in cylinder water but failure would leave you dead in the water.

Just keep an eye on your exhaust outlet for any signs of steam.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #14
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. cd. I have purchased parts for our Lehman's (120HP) from both American Diesel and Bomac.
https://americandieselcorp.com/
https://bomacmarine.com/

Just looked up the AD price on the heat exchanger. Oops, you are correct. It has been a while so my $700 guestimate IS low. Apologies. Probably close to a boat buck ($1000) for HE and coolers.

I DID check the Bomac site and they have exhaust elbows on sale for $125 plus several other "spares" that seem to be a good price.
https://bomacmarine.com/marine-sale-parts.html
Old 12-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. cd. I have purchased parts for our Lehman's (120HP) from both American Diesel and Bomac.
https://americandieselcorp.com/
https://bomacmarine.com/
Worth checking fredwarner1 on ebay, who sells some Lehman cooling parts. I experienced good pricing and service.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:33 AM   #16
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Worth checking fredwarner1 on ebay, who sells some Lehman cooling parts. I experienced good pricing and service.
logandiesel and onestudebakeravanti also sell Ford Lehman products on EBay. Search for Ford Lehman Diesel.

ebasicpower for velvet drive parts.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:08 PM   #17

City: newport news
Vessel Name: Alvito
Vessel Model: Albin 36
A few years ago when I bought my albin I talked to guys at American diesel and ask them things that I should know about the engine. One thing that they pointed out was that the exhaust Water trap should be immediately after the riser and not back under the berth where the exhaust exits the boat. Apparently they put the water trap in backwards when they built the boat. He said if you put a lot of weight back aft in the stern but there’s a chance of water would back up through the exhaust pipe into the engine.
mikemazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:27 PM   #18
Enigma

Greetings,
Re: Post #17. Welcome aboard.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #19
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
Welcome aboard
Old 10-25-2022, 07:27 PM   #20
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I had an Albin 40 where the drop from the manifold to the water lift muffler was not enough (less than may recommended numbers for engines/gensets)

I also but a loop from the coolers to the water injection port on the elbow all the way to the engine room ceiling to prevent any siphoning.

I also made sure the run and loop height of the exhaust out of the water lift muffler was as recommended to prevent backflooding in stern currents or wave action through the transom exhaust port.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote