Old 06-05-2020, 11:21 PM   #1

City: Santa cruz
Vessel Name: Classic lady
Vessel Model: 1980 Albin
Hydraulic Autopilot

Iím going to install an autopilot in our single engine Albin36 and was looking at all the choices. Gets confusing.

Just want something simple , reliable and able to follow some waypoints.
Like the Ford leahman, just goes, something that just works good
Dont think it needs to interact with a bazillion other electronics.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Delfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:11 AM   #2
Guru

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
The Raymarine, Simrad, etc units all work fine standalone and can accept waypoints from almost any plotter via NMEA. They basically need a sensor pack, a controller, a pump, and an mfd or a head fornuser input.

For your goals, you'd want a simple control head with a knob to be able to set a heading manually, steer directly with it, etc.

You may also want a rudder sensor for the ability for it to maintain a straighter line.

I'd have to know your ram capacity, but you might look at the Raymarine EV-150 and EV-200 kits, which include all of the above, except the optional rudder position sensor:

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/rayt703...topilot-s.html

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/rayma...AaAuBgEALw_wcB

And maybe add a rudder sensor:
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/raym811...re-m81105.html

gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:04 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
Delfini, this is one area where you'll probably want to get qualified assistance with choosing an autopilot so that your money isn't wasted. All pilots nowadays will interface with any plotter to go to a waypoint, but most use nmea2000 to interface. NMEA2000 is plug and play but in some cases you'll need to buy the appropriate connection adapter(s) to interface your current plotter to your pilot. You'll also need to know what type of steering your Albin has which will determine which drive you'll need. I would stress that you include a rudder position transducer to any pilot you decide to go with. It will really enhance the pilots performance, especially on a slower, single engine application such as yours.
I'll guarantee one thing...after it's done, you'll love it!
Old 06-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I'd give the folks at ComNav a call and discuss your needs. I have used their basic units on a couple of charters and really liked them. The simplicity factor made it easy to learn without a manual on board. Check out their 1001 model. https://comnav.com/autopilot/

One tip I will recommend is to get a wired remote with a long cable, we had them on both stations of our old Robertson and used them 95% of the time to either power steer the boat or adjust course. I only liked to occasionally navigate to a way point when in the open ocean.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #5

City: Santa cruz
Vessel Name: Classic lady
Vessel Model: 1980 Albin
Thank you all.
Rudder indicator sounds helpful.
Our wheel is 5 turns lock to lock and Rudder position has its challenges occasionally.

Iíll crawl and check out to ram Capacity too.
Delfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I think all the pilots from the usual suspects will do a fine job, and all are very simple to use and pretty much all work the same way if you are using the most basic functions; nav mode (following the waypoints on a route), and Auto mode (just follow a heading). Just ignore all the fancy stuff if you don't care about it.

That said, I can think of two things to consider:

1) Just keep in mind that Raymarine is being divested by FLIR, their parent company. That leaves Raymarine's future somewhat of an unknown. It's not the kiss of death, but I think does add some risk.

2) Unless you are all-Garmin, I would avoid their pilot. It's a proprietary system that can't use parts from other vendors, so it's all-Garmin. Others can work with anybody's pump, and anybody's heading sensor and other instruments. And some even with different rudder position sensors, so you have more flexibility in putting the system together in the first place, plus more repair & upgrade options down the road. Note that will all the vendors, the computer/brain and the display/control panels are all proprietary to each vendor, so those parts are inseparable whoever you pick.

My personal favorite is Furuno. Depending on your boat size the NavPilot 300 might be suitable, and is very reasonably priced. Otherwise the NavPilot 711C would do well, though might be a touch more expensive than Ray or Simrad.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

Just keep in mind that Raymarine is being divested by FLIR, their parent company. That leaves Raymarine's future somewhat of an unknown. It's not the kiss of death, but I think does add some risk.
I read recently that Flir has decided not to sell Raynarine. This may not be the latest scuttlebutt but I think it is!
Old 06-06-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
Guru

City: Puget Sound
I was looking at the classifieds on the hull truth a couple of days ago, there was a post from a guy selling several different APs that had been removed. I don't have relation to the seller just saw the listing... might be of interest.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I'd give the folks at ComNav a call and discuss your needs. I have used their basic units on a couple of charters and really liked them. The simplicity factor made it easy to learn without a manual on board. Check out their 1001 model. https://comnav.com/autopilot/
Another vote for Comnav. I have the PS2 model and have been very happy with it in 10 years of use. Many West coast commercial and fishing boats use Comnav pilots for their reliability.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
I was looking at the classifieds on the hull truth a couple of days ago, there was a post from a guy selling several different APs that had been removed. I don't have relation to the seller just saw the listing... might be of interest.

I have no problem buying used radars, plotters, radios or depthsounder. They can be tested before purchase or right after delivery during the return period on eBay.

I don't recommend buying a used autopilot unless you know what you are doing or it comes with a 10 - 20 day guarantee from a reputable source. Too many components to test, too many things to not work and difficult and time consuming to test.

I buy and sell used marine equipment on eBay and CL. Whenever I get an used autopilot, I sell the parts as "parts or not working" on eBay. There are people on eBay that buy all the parts to an autopilot whether working or not and either repair the broken component or gather enough working parts to get a working complete AP. They sell the working AP on eBay, who guarantee the items and provides protection for the buyer.

The buyer has to either bench test the AP or install it quickly before the guarantee runs out.

I've sold several Furuno 700 series AP's and they are very good AP's. The control unit, processor, rudder feedback and heading sensor is around $3,000. The pump is not included. Furuno supports their legacy products for a longer period than any other manufacturer.

The Simrad AP's are excellent also.

I would not purchase Raymarine because of their questionable future, their lack of support for legacy products and their past history of ownership changes.

Garmin does not support legacy products either.
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I read recently that Flir has decided not to sell Raynarine. This may not be the latest scuttlebutt but I think it is!

Oh, OK. That's an interesting turn.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #12
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I use a Simrad AP 35, definitely old tech compared to what is on the market now, been reliable but such old tech that I'm not recommending that model specifically. But been happy with Simrad as a brand.

What I did find out is that while my AP is hooked up to the plotter to go straight to a waypoint, I find that feature does not hold heading as well. So I just no longer use that connection in "NAV". Just use "AUTO" and tweak the knob as needed to keep on course. Someone has to be on the helm all the time anyway, so tweaking the knob gives them something to do.

You do need the rudder cylinder displacement before even starting to shop.

And once you install it, consider hiring an expert to set up the tuning parameters on sea trial. Well worth it. Makes the difference between crappy and excellent AP performance.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote