Anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
When bringing up my anchor yesterday it tripped the breaker what could be some of the causes for that breaker to shut off thank you for your input

Was the engine running?
With my windlass, if I put it under load as opposed to just lifting the anchor and chain with the engine running, the windlass spins faster (from the higher voltage of the alternator) and the load requires more amps which can occasionally trip the breaker. Your breaker may also be getting weak.

Ted

Last edited:
When bringing up my anchor yesterday it tripped the breaker what could be some of the causes for that breaker to shut off thank you for your input

Anything that increases the amount of work the windlass motor has to do. This could be something inside or outside of the windlass.

A poor connection anywhere in the power path will cause lower voltage to the motor which will increase the amps required to get the same amount of work done.

A relay going bad can have a higher resistance connection inside that can cause low voltage to the motor.

Ken

The question is, did this windlass work without tripping the breaker in the past?

Are you using the engine to drive forward as you retrieve the anchor?

Or, are you using the windlass to pull you forward? That can be an excessive load on the windlass.

Have you serviced the windlass recently? Check the electrical connections for corrosion?

Corrosion on the terminals can create resistance.

If you have a clamp on amp meter, check current through wires and compare to breaker. It might be a bad breaker.

Last edited:
yes it did work .. I think what was happening is the we were in a strong current with wind blowing and I was using the windless and not making head way with the boat engines so it probaly was the reason. Ive tried it this morning and all is fine..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom