Old 09-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Albin Build Quality

For all those in love with Albin build quality...

This is what I found when trying to convert the galley icebox on my 1988 40 tri-cabin to a fridge/freezer unit with the Dometic ColdMachine CS-NC-15 power compressor fridge unit.

The entire outboard side of the icebox was just large chunks of foam..none attached to the actual icebox...just randomly thrown in there providing almost no insulation value at all...yet over a garbage bag full of foam (over 18" thick in one place) doing virtually nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
photo (3).JPG   photo (2).JPG   photo.JPG  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #2

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
Otoh

Foam cores mean one will never find Balsa rot in an Albin deck.

I would take exception that the chunks of foam "doing virtually nothing".
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #3

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: SALTY
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
"Foam cores mean one will never find Balsa rot in an Albin deck.

I would take exception that the chunks of foam "doing virtually nothing"-----NOW THAT"S FUNNY RIGHT THERE! I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE!
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
Guru

the chunks were just filling a void...not attached to the glass icebox liner and major air spaces between them....so pretty much doing nothing.

It had nothing to do with the decks....
Old 09-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Flotation?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Flotation?
Are fridges supposed to float???
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

I'm out'ta here. I've got my Albin. If psneed doesn't like them, he can go find a better brand, with my blessing. My boat is 38 years old. I wonder how his choice will be at the same age?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Nick View Post
I'm out'ta here. I've got my Albin. If psneed doesn't like them, he can go find a better brand, with my blessing. My boat is 38 years old. I wonder how his choice will be at the same age?
If I had only known...but I believed the pack like so many..."Albins are great"

I have learned along the way that until you take a boat apart to nuts and bolts...public opinion is a really bad judgment of build quality.

I will say that certain models and certain years are WAY different in build quality.

I have heard good things about Albin 25's...but then again I heard good things about Albins in general till I found out the truth the hard way.

Worse than others? Maybe not for many but that doesn't make them built well either.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I have learned along the way that until you take a boat apart to nuts and bolts...public opinion is a really bad judgment of build quality.
Exactly!

Have spent countless hours grinding out bondo (fairing puddy) because the manufactuer didn't glass the joints close enough to the final level, filled the voids with bondo which cracked. Have been fixing a lot of short cuts this summer.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #10

City: Carrollton, Va
I'm eyeing an Albin 48.... Don't tell me they suck!
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
I'm eyeing an Albin 48.... Don't tell me they suck!
The trouble with boats that were built in Taiwan is that there is a huge difference in build quality all the way from yard to yard, make to make, model to model and even boat to boat. Any boat is worth looking at...but like a fne home with a lot of nice woodwork...you really don't know what is in the walls till you tear into them.

Sure there are a lot of common problems to a particular construction technique that really showed how much care owners took of their boats..but the point about stuffing a cavity with random blocks of foam just shows that certain points of even a "decent reputation" boat were totally overlooked by a competent ANYBODY....so what else was??????
Old 09-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #12
Guru

City: Trenton
HA HA. I have found some shockingly bad construction in my Marine Trader too. Then again, most of that poor construction has hung together for 15, 20, 25, 30 and now almost 40 years before I found it and 'corrected' it. So how bad could it have been?
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
HA HA. I have found some shockingly bad construction in my Marine Trader too. Then again, most of that poor construction has hung together for 15, 20, 25, 30 and now almost 40 years before I found it and 'corrected' it. So how bad could it have been?
Yep...my boat's not on the market, I'm still going to Florida in it this year and I'm planning on living aboard for the next 20 years or so.

So I hope I DON"T find out how bad it could be.....

MY post is just another in a long line of posts by people who really get to know their boat as opposed to the other end of the spectrum that let yards do all the work while they sit around the club and say how well their boat is built....
Old 09-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The trouble with boats that were built in Taiwan is that there is a huge difference in build quality all the way from yard to yard, make to make, model to model and even boat to boat. Any boat is worth looking at...but like a fne home with a lot of nice woodwork...you really don't know what is in the walls till you tear into them.
The very few Taiwan yards that actually paid attention to build quality are still in business. Alexander Chueh, for example, started Ocean Alexander with the express intent to address the build quality problem he noted in other yards.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #15

Getting back to the "not really doing anything" part of the OP, the firmly appearing chunks are doing one thing fairly, REDUCING CONVECTION IN THE AIRSPACE SURROUNDING THE COLD FOOD CHAMBER, which is the big bugaboo when it comes to ice boxes and refrigerators. Sure, poured-in-place Urethane foam would do that more efficiently, but that is only a question of degree. Pouring in bushels of Styrofoam packing peanuts would have also worked.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1767.jpg  
Old 09-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #16
Guru

If there's a pretty large air gap between the ice box and the first few inches of foam that can drain cold air all the way to the bilge...do you honestly think the next 17 inches of foam was really doing anything???? Where do you see that the blocks were firmly anything? I could put my boroscope around most of the box suggesting over an inch air gap in many places where the foam just shifted away from it...it wasn't even glued to the ice box.

It was like some kid was told to fill a toy box with random sized chunks of foam..and he was in a hurry to get to the playground. Maybe that's where the idea came from...they saw how well it worked with chunks of teak sorta thrown together and poured poly resin over them to make the flying bridge deck...

Let me put it another way...I realized the icebox was useless when it wouldn't hold ice a couple days in moderate temps...then to find they wasted over 2 cubic feet of foam to do nothing just makes me shake my head.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #17
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I have yet to find any shoddy construction on my Camano. It's a well thought out and well built boat. It was built in Canada.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #18
Guru

Taken a sawzall or crowbar to it yet? That's the real test.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #19
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I have yet to find any shoddy construction on my Camano. It's a well thought out and well built boat. It was built in Canada.

Yep!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Yep!
Have you taken a sawzall or crowbar to one?

And while I know its a better built boat than many...my point is till you rip into one seriously..ya can't go by what the crowd thinks.....

And I've owned/run boats that go both ways in my opinion.

Cheaper boats that had building details that rivaled "better names"...and good ones that just kept disappointing me the further I dug.

So far MY Albin has fallen the furthest from it's "boatshow" reputation. Notice how I said "MY" as there are other models and years that are a lot different.