Albin 25/27 Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLD

Guru
We decided to build our dream retirement home (southern Delaware) and ended up spending a lot more money that we originally planned. Thus, the budget for the retirement boat shrank. This got me thinking maybe it would better to consider a day boat instead of a larger boat. Thus, I have been away, since June, participating in forums for smaller boats.

Then, I started thinking what about getting an older boat, like an Albin 25 (8’6” beam) or 27 (9’8” beam)? Big enough that I could keep it in a slip and yet still small enough that I could trailer it places when I wanted. I have a beefy enough truck that I could easily trailer the 25 wherever I wanted and could even haul the 27 if I could keep down the weight.

The Albin 25 is like the VW campervan of boats. Small, quirky, well designed, and has an almost cult-like following which has resulted in a lot of these 45+ year-old boats still afloat. If I get an Albin 25, I would probably look for one that has gone through a refit (with a repower) sometime in its past. I would also get a trailer for the boat, as the trailerability is one advantage over its slightly bigger sibling, the Albin 27.

I know that several members have had Albin 25’s in the past. I would appreciate any feedback on using the boat as a day boat and maybe week-long trips. Also, any feedback on keeping the boat on a trailer and launching it from a ramp?

I don’t know if there are any former Albin 27 owners? If so, I would appreciate your feedback as well. For the 27, I would be interested in both the family cruiser and the sport cruiser. I would probably get a trailer for destination trips, and would probably use a lift to get the boat into and out of the water.

[FONT=&quot]I have joined the Albin Owners Group (AOG) and have found the Albin Cruisers 25 & 27 Facebook page.[/FONT]

Thanks in advance for any advice on these boats,

Jim

Somewhat biased here, but we have definitely enjoyed our Albin27. We bought her 5 years ago and had her at our dock on the Chesapeake and have taken her on the ICW three times.

You are correct - smaller, more simple trawlers are more affordable than larger trawlers (Marina fees, fuel, repairs, maintenance) and offers you more flexibility. We are usually one of the smallest trawlers at marinas, so we usually pay half of what others pay for the same amenities. Yes, it’s more like having a class B camper van vs a Class A (with onboard laundry and staterooms), but we usually don’t have problems booking slips or getting safer anchorages during crazy weather because of our draft. We are very active and enjoy fishing diving, paddle boarding, etc when we travel and use our boat to live out of, where folks in bigger boats tend to live in it.

Other info that you might want to consider…

* checkout the Facebook group, trailable trawlers - We have considered tugs, Rossis and cdorys and although those boats could run faster than Albins (hull type), Albin design seems to have a lot more space, and definitely not as much of a value add. Even if you pay to completely repower an Albin with a brand new engine, it will still cost you a lot less than other trailable trawlers

* smart to look for Albins that are cruise ready and don’t need a lot of work. We got lucky and bought ours already updated and modified. People, including us, spend thousands to get their Albin updated and realize they won’t get everything they put into it

* We had our A27 on a lift as well until we sold our home on the bay last year. They are wider than the 25s, so depending on where you trailer, may need special license. We had ours trailered from TX to Va when we bought her

* If you can trailer a boat without stress, then we envy you! We want to explore the rest of the US but can’t trailer a boat. We are currently in the Keys, and plan to stay at a local State Park - 11 month wait to stay there in a camper, but no wait for their Marina! If you want to visit the keys without running the ICW or the outside, a trailable trawler is the way to go. We have a modified A27FC, with full enclosure and no aft cabin (similar to an SC) so it has been easy to stay on her for long range travel.

Attachments

• A2357074-4F18-4F9C-ABC9-C8D44E721394.jpeg
    A2357074-4F18-4F9C-ABC9-C8D44E721394.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 41
OP, you should think about how often you will be trailering, where the 8'6 beam makes it easy versus the 9/8 requires a permit (not difficult to obtain).

What you'd find however is a huge difference favoring the wider boat regards to the interior comfort, roll acceleration and motion in a seaway. I'd recommend leaning in that direction.

Albin Vega 27

What? You mean mentioning the Albin Vega or Albin Ballad is out of vogue?
My Vega #2891 is still afloat and last I heard was sailing on the Mediterranean near Italy.

I bought her new at a German boat show in Southern Germany. Had her delivered by platform railway car to Utting am See - on the Ammer See. After 4 years there, I dropped her on the Rhein Donau Canal in Neuerenberg and motored her to the Mainz River, then turned to starbord onto the Rhein, and motored her to Stavern, Friesland, the Netherlands alone.

When my Wife discovered I was looking for crew to sail across the pond, she put her foot down, "Saying I don't want to find you in ground up can of cat food."

So, it appears it became someone else's dream.

Best Wishes,

Folks,

Thanks for the feedback.

I love the layout on the 27, but the 25 has the advantage of trailering at a moment's notice, which is a plus as I edge closer to retirement!

Definitely would prefer a 25 that has had a repower sometime in its recent history. Otherwise, the boat would have to come with a pretty nice (newer) trailer so I didn't have to pay for both.

Bearkeley, you have a beautiful 27! :thumb:

Jim

Thanks Henry,

If it was the Fall and I was already retired, I might drive cross-country and up to Vancouver for this boat!

A two year old Beta 35 may be the perfect repower for an Albin 25.

Team this boat up with a new aluminum trailer and I would be set, for only $30K.

Hope I can find a boat like this in the Fall when I am ready to buy!

Jim

The TN one has been for sale for a while, I think 3 - 4 months according to the Albin Cruisers 25 & 27 facebook page. Not really my first choice in a repower, but it does come with an aluminum trailer which is a plus. If I was in the market now, I would consider this boat. However, any boat buying has to wait until we are in our new home and have converted our construction loan into a regular mortgage.

Jim

Ssobol, Craigslist will use the local currency, so that's Canadian. If the price was $25,000 CDN, that's about $20,000 USD.

Here’s a good deal on a 25. Fresh water boat that’s got a yanmar for a repower. Needs a good cleaning but might be a good option at 16k.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1976-albin-25-deluxe-7808924/

Folks, thanks for the posts.

I am actually not in the market yet. We are building our retirement home (been under contract since last March) and no new purchases until we are in the house. Hopefully we will be in the house in mid-March, which means that I'll probably begin seriously looking for a boat in June/July.

Jim

I recently trailered my 27FC to a small public park boat launch ramp, and backed it right in. No issues whatsoever, except that the 6 tires wanted to float the trailer, when the weight was lifted.

I'll tie some sand bags to the frame, when I go to pull the boat out!

Attachments

• 11Jan2022b.jpg
    11Jan2022b.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 24
I like seeing the 27 on a trailer!

Interesting comment that the tires tried to float the trailer, as I hadn't heard of that before. I'm presuming you have an aluminum trailer?

I'm curious about the trailer. Is this a trailer designed for the Albin? The trailer wheels seem to be pretty far back on the trailer. I'm guessing the boat is positioned on the trailer to adjust the hitch weight?

Jim

Hi Jim-
Yes, notice the tongue jack. I placed the center of the boat's weight on the center of the middle axle, as a starting point, and it worked well.
I had the boat on blocks on the ground, so had to modify an existing trailer to accomodate the keel, and jack the boat up to roll underneath. The bunks were temporary, just to transport the boat 3 miles to the ramp, but now, I'm going to make them permanent, as they worked very well.
I will be pulling the boat out in April, and store it on the trailer this season.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Resized_20220102_102810.jpg
    thumbnail_Resized_20220102_102810.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 28
  • thumbnail_Resized_20220102_100449.jpg
    thumbnail_Resized_20220102_100449.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 25
  • thumbnail_Resized_20220101_084631.jpg
    thumbnail_Resized_20220101_084631.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 24
Newbie replies to old post:

JLD, my late parents retired to Laurel, DE in the 1980s. My mother passed in 2003 and my stepfather Lee Simonds lived another eight years until his passing in November, 2011. During those eight years of widowhood he joined the Nanticoke River Yacht Club in Blades and ended up being made honorary commodore a month before he passed. His photo is on the clubhouse wall to this day.

The Albin 25 is a great boat. For life in the slow lane it gets the best fuel economy of any boat in its size range other than a sailboat, in our case 0.4 to 0.5 GPH at 6.5 knots. Add to that trailerability without need for oversize load permits. We've trailered ours over 20,000 road miles in the past 9 years of ownership, including hauling from Phoenix, AZ to Blades, DE in 2015, launching from Blades marina, running Nanticoke River to Bivalve and thence across the Bay to Solomons, up the Patuxent and St. Leonards Creek to Veras Beach Club, back across the Bay to Cambridge, Oxford, & St Michaels. My only advice for any boat on the Chesapeake including A25 or A27 is have air conditioning installed to handle the heat & humidity of DE & MD summers.

Below, our Albin 25 "La Dolce Vita" docked for a lunch stop at Vienna, MD on the Nanticoke, July 2015

Attachments

• DSCN2844 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN2844 (640x480).jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom