Old 01-09-2022, 05:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Washington
1989 Albin 34 Motoryacht

I'm looking at this Albin, would far rather have something like this than the Silverton with the weird boarding access that's actually local to me. It looks good and clean to me, your thoughts? https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1989...yacht-6530008/
Drummer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
OP - you've asked about several low priced boats as a liveaboard. Please keep in mind the purchase price on a boat is a small fraction of the TCO. Slip rent, bottom job, haul, survey, insurance, etc have no bearing on the value of the boat and eat up a bunch.

There's a saying that the cheapest boat you can buy is the most expensive boat you can own.

Careful -

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:36 PM   #3

City: Canadensis
Vessel Name: Last Hurrah
Vessel Model: Ta Chiao/CT35 Sun Deck
I looked at her just about a year ago. She has been used by the broker as an office and appears to be in good condition.

I didn't spend much time on the boat as the narrow side decks and the stern access to the fly bridge were deal breakers.

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The "fully cored" description bothers me. It means the hull is not solid fiberglass and is cored underwater. If the core gets wet, or is wet,it`s a problem. I declined a Beneteau ST42 for that reason, it was balsa cored, there can be other cores, eg foam.
It has low hour Hinos, a genset, it`s younger than some in your range, plenty of accommodation and little teak. Lacks a cockpit, so for outdoor sitting,eating etc, you need to use the FB, carrying stuff up and down, not so convenient. I didn`t see a windlass, or a decent modern anchor.
Worth a look if those things are not a bother. The coring would be for me.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:42 AM   #5
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
1989 Albin 34 Motoryacht

I have read that Albin switched to Airex foam around 2000 which I would have little concern about. Prior to that they used balsa. Many years prior to that, below waterline was solid glass but no one seems to know the year that they switched to coring. Probably model specific. I believe most if not all Albin 25s and early 27FC were solid glass hulls.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:13 AM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Albins through the years are often quite different in design and construction based on the then current owner....I believe you have to check whether Albin Mraine or Albin Corp. Not sure on the second name.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Hi, Sent you a private message. Information about the Albin
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
OP - you've asked about several low priced boats as a liveaboard. Please keep in mind the purchase price on a boat is a small fraction of the TCO. Slip rent, bottom job, haul, survey, insurance, etc have no bearing on the value of the boat and eat up a bunch.

There's a saying that the cheapest boat you can buy is the most expensive boat you can own.

Careful -

Peter
Yes you're right, my starting budget I'm trying to keep as low as possible currently. I'm a capable mechanic, capable of handling most projects, including fiberglass repair, myself, even though I hate working with fiberglass. I'm selling my house, and trying to get a decent, basically sound, if not perfect, boat that I can buy and keep a 10-20 thousand dollar cushion for investing in retirement, putting a roof on my other house, etc. I know all too well the ongoing cost of a project boat, my first boat I ever bought was a close to 50 year old Cal 29 that I paid 2800 for and broght her home from Deltaville VA. I rewired, stripped and redid interior, etc, til a storm last year finally did enough damage to stop all ongoing projects and was chasing water intrusion constantly, finally gave up. Buying another sailboat, but bigger and nicer to start from, isn't out of my equation totally yet either. I just know I want to live on the water, while I'm young enough to enjoy it, and not as a retirement plan one day, becaue tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. The best sleep I ever had wsa on that old ragged CAL 29, even though living on her was about like camping at best.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Probably should do a new thread, but I've talked on the phone today with the owner of this Albin. The window leaks were fixed, teak floors don't leak, no soft spots. Owner is a captain and said if I did choose to buy her and bring her to NC, he'd even come along to give me training on how she runs, etc. he bought it to downsize from a 52 or 53 foot trawler and his wife wants no part of it, she likes the bigger boat lol. I know it's kinda dark inside with all the wood, but I kinda like it that way. https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1982...cabin-8139923/
Old 01-10-2022, 04:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Based on the pics of the teak deck....unless they are glued and not screwed down...leaks are likely.
my thoughts as well
Old 01-10-2022, 04:31 PM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Just looked at the thread...didnt see teak this time....not sure why.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Just looked at the thread...didnt see teak this time....not sure why.
The first boat didn't have it, I didn't start a new thread, just threw in a second boat that does have them, that's probably why.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:50 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I don`t see teak decks. Teak at the opening of a side helm door, that`s all.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:45 PM   #14

City: Seattle
The link to boattrader states the ad is no longer available. Did you buy or did someone else? Maybe the ad simply expired…
BradBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBeck View Post
The link to boattrader states the ad is no longer available. Did you buy or did someone else? Maybe the ad simply expired…
Wasn't me. I'm currently trying hard to get an Albin 40 that's not listed anywhere, but very well maintained, no leaks, fuel tanks are good, engine refurbished, etc.. I hope to be able to show off pics and jump for joy in the next week or so, even though getting the boat to NC will take time.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:02 AM   #16

City: Oak Bluffs
Vessel Name: Southern Lady
Vessel Model: Albin 34' Bridge Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer79 View Post
I'm looking at this Albin, would far rather have something like this than the Silverton with the weird boarding access that's actually local to me. It looks good and clean to me, your thoughts? https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1989...yacht-6530008/
We have the same boat with single 315hp Cummins & bow trusters. The one you are inetrested looks good.

How many hours? To convert in to hours which is better understood, multiply hours by 60. Example 2000 hours equal 120,000 miles. Diesels in trucks go 250,000 mile prior top overhaul, 500,000 major overhaul. Captainpontoon
Captain Pontoon is offline   Reply With Quote