Small sailboat (like sunfish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfish26

Vessel Name
Tillicum
Vessel Make
Hershine
Hey all,

Do any of you bring a small sailboat like a sunfish or laser on your trawler? Not as a dinghy but as an extra along with the dinghy. I have been trying to figure out if I could strap one to the back by the dinghy or maybe tow the dinghy to make room for one.

Kent,
We travel with our dinghy on the swim step! two hard shell kayaks on the aft cabin rack and two inflatable kayaks when we have guests. I guess it depends on the length of the sunfish and where you can tie it on without it interfering with safety and movement aboard.

Don't know if you like building stuff but I have seen these row and sail and they are stellar. as soon as I have time I'm going to replace my Whitehall dinghy with one of these.

port townsend watercraft - Bing

Delfin,

Actually I was really wanting to build one myself with my father! Those look really nice. I wonder how stable they are?

Delfin,

Actually I was really wanting to build one myself with my father! Those look really nice. I wonder how stable they are?
The company exhibits at the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend every year. They have races in the evening with a lot of boats sailing in and around the anchored vessels where we always are. I had admired the rowing capabilities and thought the videos were pretty cool, but two years ago I saw a PT Watercraft with the sailing rig and they were flying around the anchored boats in around 20 knots of wind with two people. It looked really stable to me.

The nesting feature might be helpful to you and the way they attach is solid and easy to manage in the water. The kits seem pretty foolproof and a fun project. The only improvement I would make is to use white Rhino liner on the inside bottom to keep the dogs from scratching it, and probably a bit on the exterior bottom as well so I wouldn't have to worry about dragging it up onto PNW rocky beaches.

Back
Top Bottom