Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Erie, PA
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I second the motion concerning the Bauer 10. It actually sails quite well, much to my surprise. We have the version with the fully battened main so the large roach probably help the performance. The boat has a true centerboard which is more convenient than a daggerboard.

On our last trawler we had a Trinka 8. It was pretty and rowed well. Sailing performance was not that great. We only sailed it once and I said never again.

We splurged and bought a Torqeedo electric outboard for the Bauer and it has a range of about 15 miles at 3 knots with two people aboard. Maximum speed is 4.8 knots but the range drops to 3 miles.
drf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drf6 View Post
On our last trawler we had a Trinka 8. It was pretty and rowed well. Sailing performance was not that great. We only sailed it once and I said never again.
That makes me a bit more comfortable for not ordering the sailing options of the Trinka I recently ordered. ... My first boating experience was on a rowboat, so it's back to childhood.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #23

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Gerald, sent you a private message
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #24

City: Port Richey
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30, Caribiana 23
I think that in most of these dinghys moving up from 8' to 10' results in a big improvement in sailing & rowing. A buddy of mine has the 10' Trinka & it sails well.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin View Post
I think that in most of these dinghys moving up from 8' to 10' results in a big improvement in sailing & rowing. A buddy of mine has the 10' Trinka & it sails well.
I would agree with that. Our Montgomery 7-11 is a lot of fun to sail and mess with (and it rows great) but in terms of sailing "well," I suspect that someone with more sailing dinghy experience than me would say it's "adequate" at best. But it's still a lot of fun which I guess is the point with little boats like this.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
One of the downsides to some sailing dinghies is how fast they can be towed. We could tow ours up to about 7 knots. Faster than that, water was forced up past the removable plug for the center board. Talking to others, with different brands, we weren't alone with this problem.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #27
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Sailing dinks are really cool...I'd love to have one to sail around the anchorage. Heck, I wish I had room to haul a laser or a hobie around.

But for serious cruising the way we do it, it would have to be a second boat. They just don't have the speed, range, payload capacity, or seaworthiness to be our primary dink. We sometimes run 15 or 20 miles a day in our dinghy on Bahamas trips.

I often see sailors over there with tiny little dinks with 2hp motors on them. Nice for getting from an anchored out boat to the dock, but not so good for exploring, diving, fishing etc. You miss out on a lot of good stuff without a fast dinghy.

Last few trips we used our inflatable paddle board as the "anchorage toy."
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Where/how do carry/store the inflatable now? A light sailing dink weigh about the same as an inflatable. I can pull our sailing dink up onto the dock and turn it over.
Usually I just toss it on the bow and toss a line over it. When leaving an anchorage I tow it behind until I get home. Easier to pull up from the dock.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Sailing dinks are really cool...I'd love to have one to sail around the anchorage. Heck, I wish I had room to haul a laser or a hobie around. "
Yeah, I've spent the last month trying to figure out how to make the boat bigger so I could put a laser or a bic on her.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #30

So now to Davits....

Can I make this work?

Weaver Industries, Inc.: SNAP DAVIT W/REG. TRANSOM MOUNT HOOKS
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #31

Ok, apologies for multiple messages but more likely these:

Weaver Industries, Inc.: HEAVY DUTY DAVIT HEADS FOR HARD SHELL DINGHIES
Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

As long as the dinghy does not project higher or much higher then the arms on the davits it should work.

While we have a swim step and so used a different set of Weaver davits for our Livingston I think it's nice if the dinghy in the stowed position can want to tip into the transom rather than pull away from it. This means that instead of having a constant pull on the mounting fasteners for the standoff arms and L-brackets, particularly the brackets mounted to the transom itself, the dinghy is pushing against them.

Another advantage to having the dinghy tipped forward some is that water that splashes up into the dinghy from below will immediately run back out again.

Tipping the dingy forward like this may be impossible to do without a swimstep mount but if you can do it at all it might be worthwhile. But I should add that I see Weaver installations that put the dinghy vertical all the time and so far as I know these people have not had problems with the mounting hardware wanting to pull out. In addition to the screws we also bedded the brackets in 5200.

You can see in the attached photo how our Livingston leans into the boat. Positioning the dinghy vertically would have had the dinghy pulling back on the standoff arm and bracket mounting hardware. Not that this would have caused a problem, but we figured to put all the cards in our favor and minimize the strain on the screws.

The other boat is Carey's 36' lobsterboat. He designed the davits holding the Bullfrog and had them fabricated by a Bellingham machine shop.
Attached Thumbnails
image-952460444.jpg  
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #33
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I think maybe, finally I see a solution to where to store my dink. The Weaver snap davits look like the ticket. I'll need to figure out if I need the regular or raised version.

Are there any other issues I need to consider before I head down this path?
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #34

Hey Marin,

"As long as the dinghy does not project higher or much higher then the arms on the davits it should work."

Does this mean that when in the water, the dinghy should not be higher than the davit....so that it is easy to hook up?

Next time you are on the boat, shoot me a couple close up pictures of the davits and the clips on the dinghy...please!

Thanks, Eric
Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggiolini View Post
Next time you are on the boat, shoot me a couple close up pictures of the davits and the clips on the dinghy...please!

Thanks, Eric

Ditto!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I was going to go the route Cary went but now that we're down here (WA) I don't want the extra moorage. I'l probably need to crane from the roof. Sure like the aft davits though.

As to the setup Marin has I think I'd only go that route w a dry stack. Had that setup once on another boat and exhaust fumes came over the stern and lots of exhaust noise. Don't like my aft vision messed w either. Wouldn't consider the crane but Willy has two tons of ballast.

I wonder if Cary's Bull Frog extends beyond the side of the boat? I was thinking of having a 12' aluminum skiff sticking out on the stbd side a bit over two feet. Shouldn't be a problem for many but our moorage is tight enough to drop that idea.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

Baggiolini/Lurker--- The Weaver "arms" on the hardshell dinghy mount should align as closely as possible with the brackets on the swimstep with the boat floating in the water next to the swimstep and you in it. This makes it easier to clip the arms onto the brackets. But a perfect alignment is not necessary. In our case I have to push the bow of the Livingston down to get the arm up front to snap into the bracket. Weaver offers a raised or stepped-up swimstep bracket if it''s needed or you can mount the swimstep brackets on blocks.

I will not be a the boat for a few weeks as I'm heading off to direct a project overseas. I'll try to remember to take photos when I come back if you still want them but these installations are common as dirt so I would imagine you could see dozens of installation examples in your marinas.

FYI the setup for using Weaver snap davits on an inflatable/RIB are the other way round. The bracket is mounted on the dinghy and the arms are mounted on the swimstep. They have specific hardware for this.

Eric--- We've no issues at all with exhaust coming up over the stern or any change in exhaust noise. The exhaust outlets on a GB are very close to the ends of the transom and they are below the swimstep. The lower edge of the dinghy is actually quite aways above them. However I can see where your concern could be an issue in a boat with a different stern, swimstep, and exhaust configuration.

Carey's Bullfrog does not stick out to the side. His former dinghy, an aluminum Duraboat--- which is what he had when he had the davits fabricated--- was a couple of feet longer and the motor did stick out a bit which proved to be problematical at times. While in my wide-angle photo it does look like the bow of his Bullfrog is extending beyond the starboard side, it doesn't.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #38
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Not a real contribution to the discussion but does anyone have a sail for a Dyer Midget that they would sell? That's the 7' 10" Dyer model.
Thanks
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote