Porta Bote

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are a couple photos.* I don't think it looks that bad.* The photo shows the foam floatation.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 02:58:34 PM

Attachments

• collage.jpg
    collage.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 1,420
  • new02.jpg
    new02.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 246
I got an email from the Porta-Bote folks and they confirm that their boat does not collapse when placed on its side.

I agree Ron,

Looks better than most rubber duckies.

You could attach plywood pads as stiffeners but one could perhaps ruin the folding feature. Ron*** ...why don't you put it on your upper deck w a mini davit crane?

It probably will last much longer than a rubber ducky. Pull it up a rocky beach - no problem. I'm sure it can tough it out at the town dock/landing way better than an inflatable.

nomadwilly wrote:

. Ron*** ...why don't you put it on your upper deck w a mini davit crane?

That's a thought but with the railing and bimini frames it might be difficult.

We almost always operate from the upper deck so It would be pretty much in the way.* Lots of times one will drive and the other lie down on a pad on the deck.

At this point, I am leaning towards a foldable Zodiac and 2HP Honda 4 stroke.* Two of my friends have that combination and they like it.

Same Boat / Same Dinghy

I have a 12' Porta Bote and 5HP outboard.* This was actually my first boat.* I haven't used it much lately, but it occured to me that it might make a good dingy for my Camano if I could tow it behind.* In theory, I could break it down and stow it on deck but I know from setting it up on dry land that that would be difficult at best.

Use would be the AICW and adjacent rivers and sounds.* Speed would usually be 7 knots or so.

So - Any advice, suggestions,*or stories of towing a 12 foot rigid boat with outboard attached would be appreciated.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 08:04:30 PM

Hi,
I note your post is now old and you will have worked out the answer already;I have the same boat, a Camano, and the same dinghy - an 11ft Portaboat! I found, very quickly, that the Portaboat could NOT be towed, without turning turtle! However, it travels well on my cockpit hardtop and can be easily (+\-) stowed on the swim platform - vertically!
What was your experience?
Safe cruising,
Brian Orr
VP East Coast Camano Owners:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

Last edited:
Throughout my boating experiences I've towed plenty of small boats short or long distances at various speeds on shoreline ocean conditions and inland waters. Also had a dink or two on stern davits or loaded on deck... not my preferred methods. I favor towing for reasons. Stern or bow into a slip was always quite manageable... one way or the other. End dock is a breeze. Shortest/lightest I've been involved with towing was a 6'6" fiberglass "Pixie" dink and 1.7 hp "Mighty Mite" o/b. Largest is our current 14' 8" Fiberglass Crestliner with 50 hp Johnson o/b. Best towing tender/runabout I ever experienced was 13' 3" Boston Whaler with 40 hp Johnson o/b. Proper/comfortable length of tow line is dependent on tow speed/wake, sea conditions, locality, and hull design of boat being towed. I've always found that o/b secured in up, straight line position works best for several reasons. For towing small craft the use of increase/decrease of tow line length can make it all OK. Proper fastenings and line to handle any conditions that may arise are also very important... I know, been there done that regarding broken tow line in large swells with choppy waters atop in New England ocean waters - - > No Fun Reattaching!

Hi,
I note your post is now old and you will have worked out the answer already;I have the same boat, a Camano, and the same dinghy - an 11ft Portaboat! I found, very quickly, that the Portaboat could NOT be towed, without turning turtle! However, it travels well on my cockpit hardtop and can be easily (+\-) stowed on the swim platform - vertically!
What was your experience?
Safe cruising,
Brian Orr
VP East Coast Camano Owners:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:
My solution - The portaboat is in the yard and I purchased an inflatable dinghy and a 2 HP Honda motor. It works for me and is the same solution a couple of my slip neighbors came up with.

On a recent trip I saw a trawler with a portaboat stored vertically on the swim platform. I think I would have a very hard time handling a 55 lb 5 HP motor from my boat. That's part of the reason for my choice. We've used the inflatable seberal times and it has worked well.

Back
Top Bottom